Samsung HT-Z310 Freezing Problems

Silicon Angel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Almost a year ago I bought a Samsung HT-Z310 home Cinema System along with a 42" Samsung LCD (Series 6). For the best part of 11 months the HT-Z310 worked fine, and the 5.1 surround has always worked well. The problems began when I was playing DVD's; they would occasionally freeze for a second or two, and in some cases would freeze completely and the unit makes a noise like it is searching for something. It also, on occasions, would change chapter on it own to a completely different part of the DVD.

The unit has been sent back twice now for repair and each time they have told me that they have changed the 'Loader/Laser'. The problem still persists and they company concerned does not seem able to diagnose the issue.

As I mentioned, for a long time the unit played DVD's fine, and now it does not without freezing up. Sometimes it can take a few minutes for this to happen, other times it might take the best part of an hour, but it always happens eventually.

Does anyone know of this issue and any way it might be fixed?

I have updated the firmware at the request of Samsung technical support, but the issue still remains.

If anyone has any help or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
where did you buy it from? i had a samsung ht from currys and dvd lens stopped working they replaced the whole dvd drive but after a month it sopped again so they replaced it with one at the same price i paid for it so i got the samsung htz310 and like you been fine for about 10 months and now it isnt reading half the disks and jumps now and again so i will be on to currys next week and hopefully get a new h/t. But i will prob get a dif make as this is my 2nd sammy to break.

I bought it from Currys, which means that although it still in warrenty from Samsung - Currys have to deal with it.

If anyone has any ideas or anyone else with same problem, please post - I am going to write directly to Samsung about this problem.

Last edited:
did you take out the what ever happens cover for it as you can use that to get a replacement.

My unit 9 months old has now started skipping/freezing/unable to read discs, I have tried the disc's in two other units and they work fine, firmware has been updated and still no joy, so it's back to Dixons with the one

Last edited:
Hi algraves,
My HT-Z310 has just recently stopped playing DVD's and just keeps on reporting 'Disk Error'.

Only bought it from Currys in Jan 09. :mad::mad:

So I thought I'd have a look to see if there was a new firmware available that might solve the fault.

This turned out to be 'ZSTBKIXA.ROM' from Samsung's UK site and it was specifically for the HT-Z310. I Downloaded the ROM file and extracted it on to a USB flash drive and also got a copy of the 'instructions'.

So off I went and tried to follow what appeared to be gibberish written by someone with a small knowledge of English.

No matter what I've tried and how I do it, I always end up at 'Disk Error' and it refuses to open the DVD draw.

I'm obviously missing something and seeing as you mentioned that 'firmware has been updated' I thought you might know a better way of doing this and if so, please would you let me know.

Obviously if it still won't play (and judging from all the comments, I'm not expecting it to work) I'll see what Currys are prepared to do.

Many thanks in anticipation

your system is broken, firmware wont fix it..

you are now approaching the "over 6 months period", whereby the onus will be on you to prove it was faulty when bought..
as it is less than 6 months old, give consumer direct a call, on 0845 040506, and get more info from them..

the retailer will have to prove it wasnt faulty when you bought it, so that would stand you in good stead for a replacement(or refund - whch i would try to go for, and take a different brand).

other steps are sending it off to samsung(after contacting them), and getting a repair.
but to be honest, samsung build quality, isnt the greatest, IMO, and this problem recurs constantly, with broken drives/fans etc..
but go consumer direct to start with, they are experts,and will guide you better than any advice on a forum.

Last edited:
Hi Data,
I phoned dixons tech guys, they sent out a local Samsung agent, after explaining the problems to him, he told me that the mechanism was faulty, he has ordered a new mechanism and will be coming tomorrow 31/07/09 to replace it, apparently they have had a lot of problems with the first generation mechanisms, he also said that there had been problems with the cooling fan, and that he will be replacing the fan at the same time, I mentioned to him that I had updated the firmware, he said that would make no difference to the problems we are experiencing, and that he would have automatically updated the firmware at the time of the repair.
you need to get onto your supplier and get the unit repaired under warranty.
I will report back when the repair has been completed
Al

Hi there guys,

Long time lurker, first time user and poster. I too had problems with the HT-Z310 system recently, finding that the player refused to play and form of DVD.

It either resulted in

1) Disc Error
2) Jamming of the disc tray
3) Ejection of the DVD without the eject command

After reading the thread I attempted a few fixes.

Did any of you happen to input the region free DVD code into the player? I know that I had, and that it could have messed up the system somewhat (to what degree/extent I remain unsure). So I performed the general reset technique by holding the stop button on the unit, until it resest and turned itself off. I turned off the machine at the mains, and left it for a couple of hours (i'm sure minutes would have sufficed).

This of course did not work. The machine remained useless and DVD unplayable. All other sound functions worked (including the AV channels and the Digital in) so I went ahead an tested some other areas.

I played a CD in the machine (have any of you guys with problems actually tried this yet??!) and it worked. Let it continue to sooth me with some Bach for over an hour as I contemplated what to do.

Finally before giving up and throwing in the towel, I tried playing a DVD again. It works. And has continued to do so, effectively reviving my dead monster/machine.

So give it a go guys and let me know if it actually worked, or whether I was supremely lucky. My suspicions are that most of you did the DVD region free unlock.

1) Reset
2) Try playing a DVD
3) Play a CD
4) Try DVD and pray that it works.

:) Good luck

Following my repair by the local Samsung agent, New mechanism and fan fitted, all now working as it should be

Morning All,

my z301 is 13 months old and i am getting the protect error

seeing as Samsung are being as helpful as a brick to the head I just need to get some of your thoughts on the below.

I think the fan is burned out, can anyone tell me if the fan should start up as soon as you power on the unit, mine does not start up at all before powering it's self off...

also has any one paid for an out of warranty repair, my local agent BSS will not give out rough estimates over the phone and will not come out to see me, nice one! Any ideas on the cost????

cheers

Hi there guys,

Long time lurker, first time user and poster. I too had problems with the HT-Z310 system recently, finding that the player refused to play and form of DVD.

It either resulted in

1) Disc Error
2) Jamming of the disc tray
3) Ejection of the DVD without the eject command

After reading the thread I attempted a few fixes.

Did any of you happen to input the region free DVD code into the player? I know that I had, and that it could have messed up the system somewhat (to what degree/extent I remain unsure). So I performed the general reset technique by holding the stop button on the unit, until it resest and turned itself off. I turned off the machine at the mains, and left it for a couple of hours (i'm sure minutes would have sufficed).

This of course did not work. The machine remained useless and DVD unplayable. All other sound functions worked (including the AV channels and the Digital in) so I went ahead an tested some other areas.

I played a CD in the machine (have any of you guys with problems actually tried this yet??!) and it worked. Let it continue to sooth me with some Bach for over an hour as I contemplated what to do.

Finally before giving up and throwing in the towel, I tried playing a DVD again. It works. And has continued to do so, effectively reviving my dead monster/machine.

So give it a go guys and let me know if it actually worked, or whether I was supremely lucky. My suspicions are that most of you did the DVD region free unlock.

1) Reset
2) Try playing a DVD
3) Play a CD
4) Try DVD and pray that it works.

:) Good luck

I tried the hack and my machine has reported a DISC ERROR ever since, on DVD or CD. I've tried the reset but no luck.

Wish I had never bothered with the region hack but surely that can't be the real problem?!

G

Just in case anyone is interested - I've also been receiving the DISC ERROR message on this machine. Noted that the CDs, or DVDs, are not spinning properly when inserted. It appears they were not resting on the spindle properly. I was able to get the disc spinning by pushing down on the disk once loaded on the side nearest the door (I had the top of the DVD player removed) and it played the disk. Had to do this several times each time the disk was loaded, in order to get it to play. Ordered a new mechanism online - replaced myself - all is fine. Easy enough job to do. I'm out of warranty by only 1 month! Samsung were not that helpful on the phone, and the local recommended repair shop thought that the cost would come in over £100.00 if they did the repair. Can't help but wonder about the quality of the DVD mechanism in this machine!

Peter

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is interested - I've also been receiving the DISC ERROR message on this machine. Noted that the CDs, or DVDs, are not spinning properly when inserted. It appears they were not resting on the spindle properly. I was able to get the disc spinning by pushing down on the disk once loaded on the side nearest the door (I had the top of the DVD player removed) and it played the disk. Had to do this several times each time the disk was loaded, in order to get it to play. Ordered a new mechanism online - replaced myself - all is fine. Easy enough job to do. I'm out of warranty by only 1 month! Samsung were not that helpful on the phone, and the local recommended repair shop thought that the cost would come in over £100.00 if they did the repair. Can't help but wonder about the quality of the DVD mechanism in this machine!

Peter

Thanks Peter, I have been suffering the same problem.

Where did you order your replacement mechanism from as I think I need to do the same.

gazowen69

I appreciate this is an old thread but my HT-Z310 just died on me last night (getting the same aforementioned "DISC ERROR / NO FILE" error message / ejection of the DVD without the eject command, regardless of what DVD it is etc etc).

I bought it from Dixons [UK] back in June 2008 so I'm almost positive that the warranty is out of date. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can do to get it fixed? Is it worth pestering Dixons / Samsung to look at it even though the warranty's out of date? (After all, it was pretty expensive, it's not that old, and after a quick look around google this seems to be a very common problem.)

So yeah, @ the guys who posted back in this thread last year; how did you fix yours? [A couple of you mentioned replacing the 'mechanism' - which mechanism is it you're talking about, exactly?]

Many thanks in advance.

replacing the dvd drive. its not hard to do all you need is a replacement you could prob buy from samsung or do a search for one. once you got it its just taking the top of your dvd h/t off undoing the leads that connect your dvd mech and unscrewing the mech then replace with new and replace the leads.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom