Samsung HT-X250R - Static like crackling?

Shumway

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got one of these at the weekend and was initially thrilled with it, however after a while (maybe about an hour but varies) watching with the TV connected to it via an optical cable I get a noise coming from all speakers. If I change the sound mode it stops but comes back after a while. It seems OK just using it to play music but if you route your TV through it you get this strange noise.

I know there's a few other folk mentioned this as I've found it on a search but has anyone actually managed to get it resolved? I don't particularly want to return it as I've hidden all the cables but will do if I have to.

Cheers for your thoughts!

is there any way you can avoid connecting it to the tv,and possibly just connect it to a sky box/virgin media/freeview box instead.
you may find its not the samsung,its the tv,that causes it,if it doesnt reappear when connected up differently.

A good idea but not tried that yet as I only bought the optical cable to connect it to the telly, don't have any standard phono cables yet. It's only a bog-standard Sky box with limited outputs.

It's a Sasmsung telly I've got though so I'd have hoped it would pass through the signal OK but who knows....

Cheers!

I was having a very similar issue when running an optical cable from my tv to the HT-X250R - and neither Samsung or a local repairs company could resolve it. I've switched to running the optical cable from my xbox 360 and the sound is perfect. Unfortunately, it looks like this is the only way round it

I was having a very similar issue when running an optical cable from my tv to the HT-X250R - and neither Samsung or a local repairs company could resolve it. I've switched to running the optical cable from my xbox 360 and the sound is perfect. Unfortunately, it looks like this is the only way round it

Well that's not good news, sounds like a fault with the system then. I've downloaded the latest firmware from the Samsung website so I'm going to try that when I get home and see if it makes any difference but by the sounds of it it won't :rolleyes:

I don't want to return it as it looks so good and matches the TV perfectly....and I spent hours hiding the cables...but I think I will if the update doesn't help.

Installed the updated firmware and now the crackling has gone. But it gives with one hand and takes with the other. Now that I can use it for longer spells I'm noticing that the lip-synch gradually gets worse the longer I watch so that by then end of an hours show it can be a couple of seconds out. However this is only when using the D.IN from the TV (Samsung LE40M87), when I'm using it as a DVD player it is absolutely fine.

Now I'm wondering if it's the TV that's at fault or the 250.

seeing as it does it with connecting to multiple tvs,i doubt its the tv,more likely the system.
the 30R and 35R also do it.

seeing as it does it with connecting to multiple tvs,i doubt its the tv,more likely the system.
the 30R and 35R also do it.

Thanks for the info, looks like a call to Samsung to see what they can do.

I forgot to mention it before but if I cycle through the Pro-Logic II settings back to the one I was watching the lip-synch is back to normal. Unfortunately I'm not technically aware enough to know what that signifies.

it would seem to me,to signify that there is something wrong with either the software controlling the system,or a memory/buffer issue.
both would be samsungs responsibility to look into and fix,but as the unit has been out for a while,i would expect them not to fix/replace it,but just to supercede it with a new model soon.

but as the unit has been out for a while,i would expect them not to fix/replace it,but just to supercede it with a new model soon.

Well that's not good seeing as I've only had it for less than 3 weeks :(

A good idea but not tried that yet as I only bought the optical cable to connect it to the telly, don't have any standard phono cables yet. It's only a bog-standard Sky box with limited outputs.

It's a Sasmsung telly I've got though so I'd have hoped it would pass through the signal OK but who knows....

Cheers!

To be honest shumway you really ought to upgrade to a sky+ box so you can send the digital signal via optical straight from that to the amp - especially as you have the 250r - have you got the 'wireless' option?

Hey guys, i've not experienced the issues of lip-syncing or crackling but apparently they are commonly experienced problems. As for the crackling, i've read that it usually occurs when connecting TV optical outs to the optical input of the X250R. Does your sky box not have a digital audio output that you can connect to the X250R? sorry but i dont have sky, so wouldn't know. As for the lip-syncing, is that when you play video through the DVD/USB receiver of the X250R or just with any audio input/video input to the X250R? have you tried the audio/video delay. You should be able to find it in the main menu.

The only problem i'm having at the moment with my X250R is that i don't know which speaker stands can be used for the X250R R-L front and rear speakers. at the moment, i havent even unpacked the rear speakers as i have no means of putting that behind my sofa. Bought a pair of Alphason AD100-S Speaker Stands couple of weeks ago, but no luck with them as they didn't fit because of the curve in the speakers, high key hole, as well as the curve in the stand poles. What speaker stands do you guys use? i cant use brackets as i am renting, so not allowed to do any drilling. Please help me out. :lease: Thanx!!

To be honest shumway you really ought to upgrade to a sky+ box so you can send the digital signal via optical straight from that to the amp - especially as you have the 250r - have you got the 'wireless' option?

I know I should, keep meaning to investigate the cost of that. I originally was going to go for the wireless option but then changed my mind. In the end I think it was the correct choice as the cables are hidden easily under the carpet, as I have the advantage of sitting in a nice square(ish) room, and it saves me having to plug in the wireless module.

As for the lip-syncing, is that when you play video through the DVD/USB receiver of the X250R or just with any audio input/video input to the X250R? have you tried the audio/video delay. You should be able to find it in the main menu.

It just seems to be when the audio is fed in to it using the optical cable. If I play a DVD through it it seems absolutely fine. I have adjusted the delay so that it's perfect when it starts but give it an hour of use and it's a few seconds out.

I'm afraid I don't have any speaker stands yet.

I have an LE46 and a 250r with wireless rear connection. I get the crackling when I add a digital optical cable from 250r to the TV, but not for DVD playing just normal TV. I originally thought the HDMI cable would carry the sound from my sky HD box to the TV and all would be good with 250r.

Having thought about it after I had built a false wall and hid all the wires and plastered and that, I then realised I needed an optical lead from sky HD to 250r...which seems obvious now!! I am about to buy that lead, will it sort the crackling out?

I also get an issue when watching copy DVDs. One is the lip sync same as described below until it is unwatchable

The other is 'disc prohibited'

Does anyone else get this? Some copies work some dont...why not?

I have an LE46 and a 250r with wireless rear connection. I get the crackling when I add a digital optical cable from 250r to the TV, but not for DVD playing just normal TV. I originally thought the HDMI cable would carry the sound from my sky HD box to the TV and all would be good with 250r.

Having thought about it after I had built a false wall and hid all the wires and plastered and that, I then realised I needed an optical lead from sky HD to 250r...which seems obvious now!! I am about to buy that lead, will it sort the crackling out?

I also get an issue when watching copy DVDs. One is the lip sync same as described below until it is unwatchable

The other is 'disc prohibited'

Does anyone else get this? Some copies work some dont...why not?

The crackiling was resolved, for me, when I updated the firmware to the one that's on the Samsung website.

I've not had any problems with 'disc prohibited' messages but then again I've only watched the one DVD that's not an original. Sorry I can't help with that.

Ive looked at that. It details a different looking player when I download the instructions, did you just follow them anyway, i.e. the one shown has a tray to put disc in??
cheers

Ive looked at that. It details a different looking player when I download the instructions, did you just follow them anyway, i.e. the one shown has a tray to put disc in??
cheers

Yeah I just followed the instructions and it worked fine. When it mentioned the disc tray I just made sure that there was no disc in.

thanks. It seems to have worked. Do you get issues with lip sync?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom