Samsung HT-UP30: CD/DVD not working

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mr M, May 4, 2007.

1. Mr M

Mr M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can help or make some suggestions on how I can sort out my Samsung HT-UP30 Home Cinema. My unit is out of warranty BTW.

The problem

When the unit is powered up, the display reads "No disc" which is correct. When I insert a disc into the CD/DVD player, the disc spins and I then get a message on the display which reads "Loading" which again is correct. As the laser springs into action, it sounds like it is reading the disc but the message "Loading" stays on the display indefinately and the disc does not play. If it was reading the disc correctly, the display whould change from "Loading" to show what its read off the disc.

What I have done so far

I contacted Samsung UK, to try and obtain just a replacemet CD/DVD player which I intended to fit myself. They gave me the name of one of their authorised repairers who said they were not allowed to sell parts to the general public. They quoted me for parts and labour to replace just the player and the quote was almost as much as the original purchase cost of the whole system including the speakers etc.

Thoroughly demoralised and as I am out of warranty, I couldn't really resist investigating this further so I took the top off the unit, disconected the CD/DVD player, took the top off that and gave the laser a clean, hoping that would sort it out but it didn't.

I have searched for the numbers noted on the top of the player on the internet but drew a blank. The numbers are as follows:-

SDM-D12C SAMSUNG

CN59AH5901615BAKEFY9D3341

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :lease:

Mr M

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    More relevant in the all in ones section :cool:

3. Mr M

Mr M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies to all :oops:

4. maumau

maumau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr m, i am having a few disc reading problems myself and before letting go of such a great home theater i wanted to make some research. however, i already sent the unit for an optical replacement, but i highly doubt that the used original components.

problem is a use a TON OF dvd-r media on this, so i expect it not to perform forever at it's 100% but i would LOVE to know if you found any info on the serial number for the replacement and if you managed to get one optical unit.

thanx very much in advance.

5. Mr M

Mr M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In short no I didn't. I gave up on the search for anything concerning the serial numbers but eventually bought a replacement unit off ebay without the speakers. The seller said it wouldn't power up but from what he remembers, the DVD player worked fine beforehand.

I honestly can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was about a tenner. I took the DVD player out of it and dropped it into mine......Worked perfectly and is still going strong

:clap: R E S U L T :clap:

6. maumau

maumau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow. that was good luck. i have tried to find a spare part for about 3 days and i just can't find it, and it's even more difficult since i live in mexico.

so, if anyone knows where i can find samsung spare parts, please let me know.

i am kinda desperate. i really like this home theater.

thanx!!!

7. Mr M

Mr M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is available on ebay and its just the unit for sale, no speakers. Be quick though, only one days bidding left ;)

The cost of postage to Mexico though may be prohibitive :confused: :confused: but I suppose it depends how much you really want this system :smashin: