Samsung HT-TZ315R How Can I Tell If I'm Getting 5.1 From Sky?

T

tyke2

I've got my Sky+ SD box set to Digital on the optical link to the 315. The front panel shows D.IN but it doesn't show Dolby Digital (just PLII and LPCM). The Sky channel information indicates the film is Dolby Digital. How can I tell if the 315 is receiving and processing a 5.1 signal?

Not to highjack the thread but I kind of wanting the same question answering!

I have my new set of 315's connected via optical to a sky HD box. What mode should the 315 box be in to get the best out of

1. Sky HD - i.e. full 5.1 surround (as per the guy above)
2. A DVD played in the player

I only had sky installed today and only had the speakers and the TV set up for 2 days so it's still all new to me.

Cheers

Not to highjack the thread but I kind of wanting the same question answering!

I have my new set of 315's connected via optical to a sky HD box. What mode should the 315 box be in to get the best out of

1. Sky HD - i.e. full 5.1 surround (as per the guy above)
2. A DVD played in the player

I only had sky installed today and only had the speakers and the TV set up for 2 days so it's still all new to me.

Cheers

1. As long as the optical out in the audio menu for the skyHD is set to 'DOLBY D' and you have selected 'D-IN' on the samsung you will get 5.1 sound if the promgrame supports it.

2. Will be automatic if of course the disc supports it

Hi,

Why not do a speaker check on the Samsung - go into dvd mode enter the menu and it will send a `test ` sound to each speaker in turn. If they are all working ok great.

You should be able to tell by the sound quality thats its DD.

Have you tried the Sky HD Mylene Klass set up check that is ( or at least I think it still is ) broadcast. It goes through the set up for home cinema and gives you a helicopter sound at one point in DD.

The Manual tells you exactly how to get 5.1 sound from a sky/cable box! :rolleyes:

Hi,

Why not do a speaker check on the Samsung - go into dvd mode enter the menu and it will send a `test ` sound to each speaker in turn. If they are all working ok great.

You should be able to tell by the sound quality thats its DD.

Have you tried the Sky HD Mylene Klass set up check that is ( or at least I think it still is ) broadcast. It goes through the set up for home cinema and gives you a helicopter sound at one point in DD.

I've done the speaker check and yes, that's fine. I'm a mere pauper (or tight @rse!) and don't have Sky HD so can't do the Mylene Klass set up check.

Stez,
"The Manual tells you exactly how to get 5.1 sound from a sky/cable box! :rolleyes: Yesterday 1:30 PM

What I'm really looking for is something that confirms I'm receiving and decoding a 5.1 signal. The Dolby Digital indicator comes up when I play a 5.1 DVD, but not when I get 5.1 from Sky.

Perhaps somebody could see if it comes up when they're watching a Sky transmission with DD, as shown when pressing the Sky 'i' button?

I've got my Sky+ SD box set to Digital on the optical link to the 315. The front panel shows D.IN but it doesn't show Dolby Digital (just PLII and LPCM). The Sky channel information indicates the film is Dolby Digital. How can I tell if the 315 is receiving and processing a 5.1 signal?

I don't have Sky+ but apparently there's a preference somewhere in the box's setup where you select DolbyD instead of Normal. You'll probably have to tune into a movie channel if you want a chance of hearing 5.1 though since most made-for-tv stuff is in 2.1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom