Samsung HT-TZ315 - Does it Have Dolby Digital?

JonnyWiz

Standard Member
Hey all,

Great forum here, helped me a lot in the past,

I am just getting back into surround sound as finally got my lounge sorted,

Im looking at buying a Samsung TZ315 setup (£200 from pixmania)
Samsung HT-TZ315 HOME CINEMA SYSTEM review cheap prices HT-TZ315 HOME CINEMA SYSTEM Samsung best buy discount online uk shop

But some specs for it say it does have and some say it doesn't support Dolby Digital, only DTS & Pro Logic II

Can anyone clarify this for me, When i first got a surround setup years ago Dolby Digital was a must have so don't understand why this setup may not have it, or is there a new Standard decoder now that I should be using, everything I see flash up on Xbox games says Dolby Digital

Want to run Sky HD, Xbox 360 & Media PC through it (have a 3 way optical in switchbox)

Also does anyone know the main differences between the TX215 & TZ315 as the specs for the 215 definatly say it does support Dolby Digital

Thanks in Advance

JonnyWiz

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The link below is from the Samsung site , it does not have Dolby Digital , which is ludicrous for any surround system these days , Its also very badly advertised , ( 1000W rms my foot !!! ) and I recommend strongly that you look at other stuff as this and any of its brothers look like real turkeys.

HT-TZ315 home theatre systems - home theatre SAMSUNG

Try Sony or Panasonic for some nice all in one systems that wont break the bank. And for the most part they dont lie about their products either.

JonnyWiz

Standard Member
thanks for the reply, its weird though as the 215 which im guessing is a lower spec does have Dolby Digital!

can you recommend any models for under £250? that do have Dolby Digital & Optical In,

Oh and forgot to mention they need to be tall speakers! dont want any stands etc

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

kentish_lad

The link below is from the Samsung site , it does not have Dolby Digital , which is ludicrous for any surround system these days , Its also very badly advertised , ( 1000W rms my foot !!! ) and I recommend strongly that you look at other stuff as this and any of its brothers look like real turkeys.

Try Sony or Panasonic for some nice all in one systems that wont break the bank. And for the most part they dont lie about their products either.

It does support DD, dont take any notice of on-line specs

andy1249

Distinguished Member
It does support DD, dont take any notice of on-line specs

They are the manufacturers own spec from their own website , what are you supposed to do ? Buy it , cross your fingers and hope for the best ?

kentish_lad

Well i wouldnt take notice of any specs from your link because its the aussy model, samsung UK dont even show this model on its site

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Well i wouldnt take notice of any specs from your link because its the aussy model, samsung UK dont even show this model on its site

The model number is identical , just the site is au , and I dont believe Australians in particular have any aversion to DD.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
well seeing as the display has a DD 5.1 indicator on it, and the manual descibes in the settings,and troubleshooting guide steps to get DD5.1 from discs that have it, i would say it supports it..:smashin:

kentish_lad

The model number is identical , just the site is au , and I dont believe Australians in particular have any aversion to DD.

The the omission of DD in the specs on the Australian site is a obvious mistake, what im trying to say is that although model numbers are the same, the specs do vary somewhat across regions, dont assume a particular product feature will be available to the same model numbers throughout the world. One example would be the Panasonics, online specs for these show they support DIVX but the UK version does not.

T

tyke2

well seeing as the display has a DD 5.1 indicator on it, and the manual descibes in the settings,and troubleshooting guide steps to get DD5.1 from discs that have it, i would say it supports it..:smashin:

Agreed!

In that Aussie spec it also says:
General
Total Power 1,000W
Number of Channel 5.1
so what would 5.1 be if it's not DD 5.1?

nobby1963

Hi,

I have the system and it has Dolby Digital.

Hope that clears things up.

nobby1963

Hi Niklas,

Where do i start ..... its a long story !

As you can see by my AVF signature I am now on my third Samsung home cinema system.

The previous two different models failed with a Samsung known `protect` fault that caused the systems to shut down. Despite many attempts and different dignosis that put the problem down to over heating / speaker wiring / fan fault and others neither system could be fixed.

I am now on a 500R system that has worked for the last year.

I know I may have just been unlucky but I am afraid I would be wary to reccomend Samsung for home cinema. I am very happy with my Samsung TV and other Samsung products though.

Good luck with your choice.

niklas_hanssen

Standard Member
Hi Niklas,

Where do i start ..... its a long story !

As you can see by my AVF signature I am now on my third Samsung home cinema system.

The previous two different models failed with a Samsung known `protect` fault that caused the systems to shut down. Despite many attempts and different dignosis that put the problem down to over heating / speaker wiring / fan fault and others neither system could be fixed.

I am now on a 500R system that has worked for the last year.

I know I may have just been unlucky but I am afraid I would be wary to reccomend Samsung for home cinema. I am very happy with my Samsung TV and other Samsung products though.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi Nobby,

Thanks a lot for that...

Actually I was intrerested in this model because the specs look quite good for what I need and also because I also have a Samsung LCD TV...it would have been great to connect them and use only one remote control...

Anyway, another brand and model I was looking at was a Sony DAV-DZ660. It's a bit more expensive than the Samsung and I am not sure whether it's better or not than the Samsung.

After reading your advice I think I'll go for the Sony :)

Anybody can give me an idea about this model - Sony DAV-DZ660?

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom