Samsung HT-TXQ120R

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by maceinzehouz, May 17, 2007.

1. maceinzehouz

maceinzehouz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, just seen this new system, wondering whther its worth the relatively high price of £900, and whther its better to get a better priced seperated system with receiver and speakers, any suggestions?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    £1000 for a all-in-one is mental, one bit goes the lots gone.
    For £1000 you can get an excellent separates system. Also no way will that system do 1000watts (maybe "sounds like"), it would need an enormous power supply, I wish these manufacters would give the true rating (all channels driven) of their equipment, I doubt if the power supply is greater than 200watts.
    If you want quality then get a Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo or Pioneer AV amp and couple it to something like the Acoustic energy T speakers (£600) and the Samsung will be blown out of the water.
    http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_T.asp
    https://www.hificonfidential.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=AegoT 5.1
    And as for wireless speakers you need to find power sockets for them, oh! and of course you just happen to have then siting in each corner of the room.

3. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
  4. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just picked this up region free at the weekend and its awesome.
    mega sound deep and rich didnt realise how bad our old system was.
    looks amazing as well.

5. jay1968

jay1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get it from and how much? Is it better than the Philips hts9800w?

6. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Got it from Richer Sounds for £899 very happy with it..........

7. gray3393

gray3393

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hiya Robzter,

I am thinking about buying this set up but am worried it may look cluttered in my room as the DVD console will have to go directly next to the TV... how have you set it up ? can you post any photos on how you have set it up please so that I can see what it looks like in normal surroundings ?

regards
    Gray

8. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We have wall mounted the tall boy speakers as they are removable from the stands and do look very swish on the wall.The dvd tower console thing is in my opinion very sleek and stylish. and we have it in one corner but be warned the sub is very large and of course heavy. but its a lovely looking piece of kit. Our room isnt massive and it really hasnt taken any room up .ive placed the sub behind one sofa in a bay window.shame as its piano black and glossy but for now its hidden.the speakers are off the floor and the room is maybe 14ftx15ft
    oh and the centre speaker is wall mountable and has the fixings to do so.its large as well.
    Will be firing it up this weekend to watch The Prestige and Hot Fuzz..and Live Earth

9. barbosini

barbosini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I bought this new home cinema system and it was working fine until yesterday. I was watching a rental DVD movie and suddenly the image stopped and now the DVD does not eject. It just keeps trying to read it over and over again
    Can anyone help me?
    :lease:

Regards
    Barbosini

10. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    interested in how these performed, I'm looking to ditch my main setup in favour of this all in one, to create a bit more space, but I do appreciate my sound quality

it also compliments the overall look with my 46" Samsung LCD and PS3 setup

11. robzter

robzter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just finished watching "Deja Vu" and it was amazing (sound) to be honest this system is better suited to a large room as i had the subwoofer turned all the way to -6 and it was still kicking. i am still very impressed with this.My only gripe seems to be (unless i havent read the manual) is that you dont get total control over all speakers ,it seems you can only shift the balance for the rears and fronts,and lower or higher the centre and sub.if anyone else has this unit and can help id very much appreciate your advice.

Once again this kicks my old sony system out of the window.and looks stunning.

Rob

ps- the other poster's problem with the dvd is not something i have had and i also have 3 year cover just incase anything does happen. (Richer Sounds and home service warranty AND they also price matched as i found it over £200 cheaper online):clap:

12. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    anyone care to explain/comment why this kit is 500 quid more than the x30 system, which seems to have pretty much the same features [upscaling, 5.1, usb etc]

13. maceinzehouz

maceinzehouz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    idv got one, and id say its worth the extra because what ur basically paying for in my opinion is a top quality speaker system,fantastic build, which performs like seperates and bonus features such as hdmi switching and alot of power

14. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    just trying to answer a few last questions as I plan to order via Dabs seeing its free delivery this weekend.

more than happy to pay the extra 500 if its for discernable improvement in sonic quality, and I don't expect it to be on par with my current setup, but I am looking to downscale and keep some sort of performance if you get my drift.

My AVR300 only gets used for HC these days, so it and my Mission speakers etc are overkill for the amount I currently watch in living room

15. gray3393

gray3393

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have just downscaled my home cinema for this samsung & like you i also like the audio to be good? And to me i think the samsung is fantastic in audio & video. if you take the plunge you wil not be disipointed.

Gray

16. Wronghole

Wronghole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hello

I had a quick look on Samsung site ... does this system only have to digital audio inputs ?

Many Thanks

Edit ... just checked manual on pdf ... Anyone know where you get the tx card to make rear speakers wireless.. check samsung site
    ????

17. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    :thumbsup:As expected 2 channel audio is pretty un-listenable for me, cannot reduce the bass enough and soundstage is woeful, even after messing around with front speaker positions, took me 5 mins and a half dozen albums to decide if there was any difference switching between mono-l/mono-r/stereo modes tbh :(

For 5.1 its seems good enough, once you place the sub a reasonable distance from a wall to stop the thing vibrating across the floor. And after a few hours setup and listening it does what I want it to do so no real disappointments.

anyone stumbled on a region free hack for this model to date ?

edit........, found it, gonna watch my criterion version of the rock now

18. Moray

Moray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have read AV Forums for a while and am now going to contribute to it for a change.

Bought an LE40M87 P7 model am very chuffed with it. Combined with the TXQ120 looks good and sounds great.....until you play a DVD.

The problem I found was that during quiet scenes (Used Last Samurai in the pink blossom garden scene) with the volume set to above 21 (below mid way) I could hear a very noticable whining coming from the speakers. Sent the set off for repair and the service centre replaced the whole board. Unfortunately the problem remained and I was informed that it may be a design fault and referred back to Samsung.

At the moment Samsung are processing the 'complaint' and will get back to me in due course.

Has anyone else come across this problem with the same system?

19. leckie

leckie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Maybe a useless comment but are the wires overlapping with anything that may cause interference?

20. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    it may something to do with the power supply,or power supplied to the speakers,at higher volume.
    strange though its a whine..and it cant be heard at lower volumes,and it comes from the speaker itself?
    is that right.

21. Moray

Moray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well the bizarre thing is that it only happens with DVD's. If I input the TV signal to play through the speakers via Audio in/out I don't get the problem. It unsurprisingly disappears if I pause or mute the system while playing.
    As for the wires, they obviously congregate behind the TV but they've got those ferrite cores wrapped around each end to remove interference.
    It doesn't happen at lower volumes only around mid-level and up and it's definitely the speakers not the sub-woofer fan or anything else. Also comes through them all not just one of them.

I'd normally doubt myself in these circumstances but the service centre back me up with the problem, they just can't fix it.

Shall provide any update especially if Samsung admit a design fault.

22. Moray

Moray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Strange though it is, since receiving my system back from the service centre I have noticed the habit of randomly stopping from producing sound from digital tv over the optical connection.

Samsung's taking a real kick in the reliabilities as far as I'm concerned.

Just found another thread re: the above. What an irritating habit from the best part of an 800 quid system.

23. Non-Teckie-Boy

Non-Teckie-Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone get this sorted ????

Have the same problem... on HDMI or optical volume over about 21.... get the whine from all speakers ??? Tried the cores, moving wires.... no joy !!!!

Anyone got a solution ??

Tks:lease:

24. Moray

Moray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sent mine off to the service centre who stated 'It's operating within the manufacturers specifications'.

For such an expensive system it's got some rubbish specs then.

Anyhoo, took it back, contacted Samsung who said the service centre should've contacted HQ to research it so I'm sending it back next week for something else to be done.

It tends to be worse on the Virtual 9.1 setting as you've obviously got to turn the volume up which increases the whine. If you set it to 'Bypass' (whatever that does) then the whine isn't anywhere near as noticable. Still, the issue is that there shouldn't be one in the first place.

BTW Anynet doesn't work either. Oh the joys!

25. dr_adlard

dr_adlard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am having exactly the same problem with the whining above 21 - it is obviously a problem with this system - any chance of samsung doing a recall with this product?

Also, how can i check if anynet is working?

26. Moray

Moray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I'm aware you connect it up to a Samsung Telly also with Anynet, search through it's connections in the Anynet menu and associate it. Then when it's done and if both tv and cinema system are on and you turn the tv off then.....it should automatically turn the cinema system off too (at least that what it's meant to do)

Could be wrong but that's my best guess at it, the manual's pretty vague about it.

27. lynchpin1976

lynchpin1976
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What connections does this have. Ie Component, Phono......need to plug PS3 and XBOX 360 into it.

28. dr_adlard

dr_adlard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this system and have also bought the wireless rears setup. Initially thought it was a fantastic system but now notice an electronic hum that is made whenever the volume is above 21 particularly from dvds etc I have tried removing the wireless speakers but it happens even with just 2 speakers - just less noticeable. There is already a thread about this problem on here so others are experiencing the same problem. Is it on ALL systems or just the select few? Please try and report back!

Have you had any solution to this problem. It is driving me mad - really like the speakers but not sure I can put up with this problem - thanks

Roger

29. Moray

Moray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Still no update from the second time I've put it in for repair. Will put another post up as soon as there's movement.

30. i-MAN

i-MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought mine about a week ago and I have the same problem, i'm gona report it SAMSUNG.

Has any one got any more update?