Samsung HT-P1200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by HCman, Nov 7, 2005.

1. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about this system? I see it mentioned in another thread, but no info given as to UK availability.

FutureHome claim to have stock but I am reluctant to order as I can't find it anywhere else, not even on the Samsung's UK website. (it is on the US website)

Any info / feedback will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

HCman

2. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have enquired with Futurehome and got this reply ...

But when I called last Friday, they said they had no stock and didn't expect any before at least 10 days ???

Can anyone comment on Futurehome service/reliability?

3. saiyajin

saiyajin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone been able to find a review of this system? I am interested in buying it.
    Thanks

4. D12sale

D12sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. saiyajin

saiyajin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found another link with more information here. It says you can emulate 9.1 virtual surround!!!! from just 5.1 speakers - It got the EISA Award... :thumbsup:

But I have not found any reviews - any of you have more info???

http://www.futurehome.co.uk/scripts...p?idProduct=541

6. Tone

Tone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my HT-P1200 from Futurehome and was well pleased with delivery, ordered late Thursday evening, arrived Monday. Beware, box weighs 46kg... Excellent picture quality through HDMI into Samsung Sp50. USB flash card is also excellent with MP3, but picture quality was poor when I downloaded photographs, ( This could be because the flash memory I purchased was not very expensive :suicide: ). Sound quality is excellent, bass is particularly good. Virtual 9.1 sound in movie mode is also very good. I would definitely recommend this system, and I think it is available for less than £799 now!!::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

7. peekaboo

peekaboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Do you (or anyone else) know if the HT-P1200 also plays DVD+R(W) ??

The Samsung site only lists DVD-R(W).

Oh, and have you tried the region hack yet?

J.

8. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi peekaboo,

I only use DVD-R on my HT-P1200, so I cannot answer your question.

Also, I have been unable to find the region hack so I too would be interested too if someone knows the code.

HCman

9. peekaboo

peekaboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HCman,

Here's the region hack I've found on videohelp.com

1. Disconnect your player from its power source for 30 seconds
    2. Reconnect your player to its power source
    3. Press the "Power On" button on your remote control
    4. Press the "Enter" button on your remote control
    5. Press the "8", "4", "2", "6", "9" button on your remote control one by one
    6. Press the "Enter" button on your remote control
    7. Your player should now place itself in Standby mode
    8. Press the "Power On" button on your remote control

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Samsung+HT-P1200

I've tried the unit at a shop yesterday and it doesn't seem to support DVD+R. It did play but would lag every few seconds.

The shop owner wouldn't let me try the region hack though 'cause the unit on display was already sold.

10. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Many thanks peekaboo, worked a treat! :smashin:

HCman :cool:

11. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi again peekaboo,

I remembered I have a dual layer DVD+R, just tested it in the HT-P1200 and it played fine.

There is hope. ;)

HCman

12. peekaboo

peekaboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...maybe it just depends on the brand of media being used.

In the meantime I had also e-mailed Samsung about the DVD+R issue and they confirmed that the HT-P1200 doesn't play DVD+Rs. So I guess that they don't officially support it but that the unit does play them if the quality is decent enough.

13. erick_p

erick_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm is this is a multiregion unit? Does the multiregion hack above work without stifling any functionality like HDMI upscaling?

Also, to those who own it, does it come with an HDMI cable included?

14. saiyajin

saiyajin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with the quality of fonts (ie. Title Menus) and picture (pixelated) when I watch DVDs via HDMI - it uses highest interlaced definition ... maybe if I change it to 750p... the problem will be solved?

More info at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279728

Thanks!!!

15. HCman

HCman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    @ peekaboo

I borrowed a DVD+R from a friend, it as a Tesco DVD, it played with no glitches. :smashin:

HCman

16. live2themaxuk

live2themaxuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes change it to 720 P and it will be better. most screens ATM are made for 720p, there arnt many 'made' for 1080. it will just introduce noise if your not using it on the correct screen

J

17. peekaboo

peekaboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :thumbsup:

18. chora

chora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually companies do not advertise DVD+R when it is not their own official format. Pioneer for example is the inventor of DVD-R and NEVER states that its units play DVD+R which is a competitve format. All Pioneer models I tried play DVD+R without any problem. This probably happens with many companies that oppose to the DVR-R format.

The only format HT-P1200 fails to read is DVD-RW VR mode.

19. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    can you switch between modes 720p and 1080i on the p1200 or is it auto. can you set what mode you want to watch say 720p or 1080i as i read in here that somebody was having trouble with this.

20. Butch499

Butch499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi,

I bought an HT-P1200 just before Christmas, and am also having problems getting it to output anything via HDMI. I know it's the HT-P1200 as I also have an HD 850, which outputs to my PJ fine. I also tried the HDMI lead supplied with the set and that also gave me HD to the PJ. So far I am watching using composite and really looking forward to sorting this out. I also was reading an associated thread about a similar issue with a Samsung P-70, but was resolved by making sure the monitor was set to HDMI. My Themescene H78 is accepting HDMI from one source but not the other!

Any more suggestions anyone? I will be going back to the store I bought it from later, but would like to hear if anyone else is struggling with something that should be simple to achieve!
    :lease:

21. AV1311

AV1311

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im interested in this 'all in one package', done some research on the net-mostly positive! There is a good review of the system in What Hi Fi (April 2006).

Does anyone know of any shops which have this system set up, ready to listen to?

Any help will be appreciated- Thanks
    :

22. varez

varez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't think you will be able to find this system set up in any shop - or anywhere at all in fact. I've been trying deperately to buy this system for two months now, and it seems like my search will have to stop now as it has been discontinued:( No idea why....it won an EISA award and got excellent reviews everywhere. Hopefully an even better version is on it's way, but I can't find any info about it anywhere

23. Butch499

Butch499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I live in the Netherlands, and bought my unit from MediaMarkt. They still have stock and units on demo in my local branch in Maastricht, and I also saw in the mega AreneA store next to the Ajax football stadium. I nice day out, to give it a listen too? Easy-jet->Schipol->train :D

24. Ptenisnet

Ptenisnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Where are you located? Harrods London has it on display. IMO one of the nicest looking all-in-one-system. Didn't get to listen to the system as the speaker wires are not connected! Had a peek at the back of the CD/DVD player & it looks like it can be mounted on the wall.

Apparently komplett uk is going to have them in stock in less than 2 weeks.
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=316434

25. varez

varez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I live in the UK - problem is everybody from pixmania tells me something different. I've now spoken to someone saying they will have a few back in stock soon. Though, they still didn't put it back on their website.
    Regardless, I think two months waiting time is a disgrace. There must be some serious issues with the delivery on this system

26. varez

varez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  27. champ_21

champ_21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Varez...

I can assure that it can be wall mounted! A samsung store in copenhagen have it wall mounted, I asked about if it came with the package and he said no, but if i bought it a the samsung store, then they would get me the wall mount for free...

the price was 330 euros bigger than i could get it from germany so didnt buy it...

28. Ptenisnet

Ptenisnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm quite sure the back is different from the pic above as I'm also curious whether it can be wall mounted or not. It basically has a hole where you can hang it onto a nail (like hanging a picture frame). The Crutchfield website also describe the CD/DVD player as floorstanding/wall mountable.

29. Butch499

Butch499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    All the speakers, appart from the SW, are wall mountable and can simply hang from screws set in the wall. The deck is more problematic, because of the interconnects on the rear of the unit, so it cannot hang flush on the wall. It would need a custom drilled plate made, matching the floor stand screw placement, as seen in the photo. This plate should then be screwed to a typical wall mount LCD bracket, and the job is done. This is recommended, as the placement of the USB connector is on the rear. In my opinion this should have been placed at 90 degrees to its current location, and on the side of the rear panel. This would make connecting and disconnecting USB disks, iPods and cameras etc. much easier. I use a mini hub now, and leave that connected to the unit permanently. You will still need to hide the interconnects though, by routing in a channel in or fixed on the wall. And, finally, the cable linking the deck to the sub woofer/amplifier is around 2.5 meters long, so this box will need to be located close to the deck, depending on the routing of the cable.
    Another alternative is use the supplied stand, but without the foot, and fix this to the wall using some hidden brackets screwed to the wall and hooking/sliding these into the cable channel guide in the aluminium extrusion. I didn't try this, and I think that the room left between the wall and the rear of the unit will make connecting /disconnecting quite tricky.

30. varez

varez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmmmm - seems pretty tricky to wall mount the unit DIY-style.
    So aparently the bracket exists, but Samsung chose not to include it:thumbsdow

I will try and contact Samsung and see if I can get hold of it

Cheers