Samsung HT-H5500 All-in-One System Review & Comments

Thanks for the review. Is the bluetooth just for remote control or will it stream audio from your phone?
Also, does this have the full suite of TV on-demand players? iPlayer, 4od etc?

Yes you can stream from your smart device to the HT-H5500 via Bluetooth and it does have a full suite of on-demand players, all of which is in the review.

Thanks for the review Steve.
I have a query though, and even though I know you need to mention it...
Would anyone genuinely buy a package like this and expect earth shattering bass or high quality at the top end?
Also agree about the HDMI, this is such a silly move given the array of devices you may wish to connect.

Fair point rhino2K and as I said in the review, considering you can pick the HT-H5500 up for £269 it's great value and the performance is certainly good enough for someone thinking of trying a 5.1 system. And you get a full 3D Blu-ray player to boot! Although why Samsung have dropped the HDMI inputs is a mystery to me.

Oh I Agree Steve, Considering that level of BDP is going to set you back £90, it's a steal!
Thanks Again
Neil

Steve, Just re-read the review (I'd read it twice before posting my questions :( ) I see the part about streaming audio now, apologies for missing that. I asked about the other on demand services as you only mentioned iPlayer. I know some of the earlier Samsung 'smart' devices only had iPlayer and not the other channels on demand services.
Thanks again.

That's OK, it's easy to miss and I could have made it clearer. These days, Samsung offer the most comprehensive support when it comes to video-on-demand and catch-up services.

just wondering: is optical cable the only way to connect a system such as this to a PS4?

thank you for the quick reply! i still have one more question for the connoisseur :)
what if i were to connect the ps4 to the tv (samsung f6400) through hdmi while the tv and the ht are connected through hdmi with arc?
will the tv be so kind to send the ps4 audio in truehd and dts master audio??? please say yes...
note: no, i don`t have the ps4 or the home theatre yet and i`d like to not have to buy an av receiver at all

Last edited:
Good point, yes you could connect your PS4 to the H5500 that way but I'm pretty sure you can't pass lossless audio via ARC.

thank you for your help and for the review!
to cut things short, i found in the tv`s manual that "To listen to 5.1-channel audio from an external device, connect the device to the TV via an HDMI cable and the device's digital audio output connector directly to the home theatre system", as you said.
still it appears that the current model of home theatre HT5500 has only one hdmi output, while the previous HT-F5500 has an hdmi output and also an hdmi input which according to a samsung guide can be quite useful in this whole ps4 + home theatre matter

@triban i will agree with the @Steve Withers, through arc channel you'll only get stereo sound (i do not know if ARC specs support losless audio return but i know that tv's will only "push" stereo sound to the ARC channel). The best way to get surround sound is to try to connect a ps4 with the PS4 with an optical cable.
Other than that i own a HT-F5500 (2013 model) which although similar (i guess in sound too) DOES have an hdmi input. The "hdmi input" drop from samsung side begun 2 years ago (HT-E5500 had 2 hdmi inputs, HT-F5500 had one and this years model NONE) and i think that makes the HT-f5500 a much better choice (if you find one to buy)!

yes, the older f5500 is still available where i live and at high price, since the big sellers still haven`t brought the new models into market. thanks! :smashin:

Hi Steve,

any idea where I might find netflix then? I can't find it, don't see it in your screenshots either. Quite disappointing since I bought it for that, already had a blu-ray home-theater :(.

TIA

Is this system any better or any worse than last year f6500? I could have both for about the same price. Thanks.

Mark, you had mentioned the ht5500 lacks in bass. Can a stronger subwoofer be added? And if that's the case, which one would you recommend?

Why doesnt this review mention the fact that the system fan runs at an annoying noisy speed? Samsung please update your firmware so its default speed will be the same as the current mute state speed. That would be perfectly fine and enough for the boards. As it is now it is too loud and quiet scenes are not quiet anymore...

And indeed there is no netflix. Its not there on your photo too... Sooo

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom