• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

"SAMSUNG HT-D550 5.1Ch Home Cinema System (DVD)" Problems

Chiefsc

Standard Member
I have a SAMSUNG HT-D550 5.1Ch Home Cinema System (DVD) and a Samsung UE40D6100 TV.
My set up is as follows:

HDMI 1(DVI) - Empty
HDMI 2(ARC) - Sky
HDMI 3 - PS3
HDMI 4 - DVD Surround System

Optical cable from SKY & PS3 is connected via a 3-way switch. The optical cable from the DVD SS is connected to the 3-way switch.
But to get the sound to work from Sky I still have to a Optictal cable from the TV to the spliter

My problem is that the sound from the Sky is coming through HDMI and not the digital output from Sky to the SS.
I have proven that if I have SKY on the sound is coming through HDMI and not Optical Digital. This was proven by losing the Sky sound when I change HDMI channel. I can play a CD on my PS3 and still hear it if I change HDMI channel.

When I play a DVd the surround sound works as Surround, so I know all the speakers are ok.
I have set the options but maybe I have set them wrong or is my setup wrong?

I have tried SS in all HDMI ports but still have to have an Optical cable from TV to 3-way switch

Below is the instructions for my TV.
Listening through a Receiver
You can listen to sound through a receiver (i.e Home Theatre) instead of the TV
Speaker.
1. Select Receiver and set to On.
2. Press the EXIT button to exit.
NN If your receiver supports audio only, it may not appear in the device list.
NN The receiver will work when you have properly connected the optical in jack
of the receiver to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack of the TV.
NNWhen the receiver (i.e Home Theatre) is set to On, you can hear sound
output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV (air)
signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the receiver. When the
source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via
HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the receiver.
NN You can connect an Anynet+ device using the HDMI cable. Some HDMI
cables may not support Anynet+ functions.

I have set the TV sound to External Speakers, with SS connected I am unable to change any Speaker settings on TV.

Any Ideas?

StevieBuck

So you have the optical outputs from the PS3, Sky box and TV connected to the single optical input on the HT-D550 via a switch - but only the PS3 and TV audio is working?

What happens if you remove the switch and connect the optical cable directly from the Sky box to the home cinema system? If you still don’t get any audio, then it could be that either your Sky box or optical cable is faulty. You should be able to use one of the cables that you know is working with the other equipment though.

As far as I know it isn’t possible to disable the optical out on a Sky box with any of the settings, hence why I say it could be faulty. Do you see the optical signal (red light) shining through the opposite end of the cable when you have it connect to the Sky box?

Chiefsc

Standard Member
Hi,
Yes to PS3, Sky & TV connected via Optical Cable via a 3 way switch, but for sound on TV I still have to connect an Optical cable from Tv to the 3 way spliter.
I am thinking that I should be able to connect Sky Optical straight to SS System like the PS3 (via the 3 way spliter).

I have checked the following:
Red light from SKY Optical cable - Yes
Sky Optical cable straight to SS System - This works as it should with no Otpical cable from the TV

Confused now:
If PS3 works through the 3-way spliter then why doesn't the SKY work through the 3-way spliter?
I have tried the SKY Optical Cable in the PS3 slot on 3 way spliter but no joy.

Any more ideas?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
How long is the optical cable? You could try shorter length cables eg 0.5m and it could also be the switch. It could be that the signal isn't strong enough and by the time it goes through 2 cables and a switch it is insufficient.

StevieBuck

Can you also confirm that it’s a switch that you are using, and not a splitter? You’ve referred to both in your posts but they are two different things.

Chiefsc

Standard Member
In reply to the spliter/switch question:
It is 3 way switch that allows 3 Optical in with a selector switch. And has an Optical to go to SS.

Chiefsc

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have tried the PS3 Optical cable with SKY & the 3-way Switch and the result was still the same (Sky not coming through SS, still had to connect Optical from TV)

The Cables are 1M

So are my options to spend £40/£50 on a new switch and buy dearer (hopefully better quality) as well.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Connect Sky optical out directly to home cinema optical in. If this doesn't produce (surround) sound from Sky box then you know that there is nothing wrong with switch, the fault is with either the Sky box optical out or the cable you are using to connect the two together.

Try changing Sky output back from Dolby D to Stereo within Sky audio setup - if this does produce sound through surround sound system, the fault is with your surround sound system. It cannot decode Bitstream Dolby Digital, only PCM stereo, through its optical input.

Chiefsc

Standard Member
Connect Sky optical out directly to home cinema optical in. If this doesn't produce (surround) sound from Sky box then you know that there is nothing wrong with switch, the fault is with either the Sky box optical out or the cable you are using to connect the two together.

Try changing Sky output back from Dolby D to Stereo within Sky audio setup - if this does produce sound through surround sound system, the fault is with your surround sound system. It cannot decode Bitstream Dolby Digital, only PCM stereo, through its optical input.

Hi,
I haver tried just Optical Sky to Optical SS System and this works. It is just when I have to put it through the switch. I have my PS3 through the switch and that works ok.

I have tried changing Audio options on Sky as well but still same issue when using switch. Also I have tried the PS3 in all 3 ports on switch and they all work ok, so surely this menas that the switch and cables are ok.

Is it that Sky needs a better switch (if you see what I mean)?

Thanks for previous post.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Does sound like Sky through switch not working properly. Perhaps a "better" switch will do the job.

Last edited:

Chiefsc

Standard Member
Does sound like Sky through switch not working properly. Perhaps a "better" switch will do the job.

Hi Broadz,
I saw ur earlier post about trying Blu-Ray. That worked ok l was able to change channel and still hear the Blu-Ray also when the Blu-Ray started up all speakers had sound.

Thanks for previous posts

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom