Samsung HT-BD1255 review (also HT-BD1252 & HT-BD1250)

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Is it possible to save,copy,rip or stream a blu-ray movie to your pc via the LAN port rj45.The bd1250 can see the shared files on pc,but I cannot see the BD1250 from the pc.:rolleyes:

As far as I know the BD1250 doesn't export any DLNA or Network Sharing functionalities, it can merely access File shares (and even that it doesn't do it right).

So no, I don't think you can save, copy, rip or stream anything from the BD12XX.

My WDTV Live that I bought to replace all the media playing of my BD1255 (after buying actually to replace the media playing of my LE46B650) actually does export Networks Shares and has a DLNA Play-to functionality.

If you're looking into that sort of stuff, I think you better at have a look at the Popcorn Hour models.

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Hi
I have played a 14.5 gig .1080 .mkv from pc on lan port and it is very jittery.
Will a software upgrade cure this (v2.41):rolleyes:

Welcome to the Club of stupid-annoying-issues-that-plague-the-BD125XX-and-Samsung-never-solves. :rolleyes:

It's very rare that I can play any 1080p MKV on the BD125xx without having serious jitter and audio issues.... If they are under 10GB I think they actually do play almost smoothly, but the bigger they are the more jittery is the play.

That is actually one of the many issues that lead me to buy a WDTV Live.

I don't have any experience with 2.41, but judging from the Samsung trends ever since 2.06 and also by the description of the Firmware, I don't think it solves or adds anything.... it just a Bluray profile update probably due to newer Blurays on the market.

ashtree

Standard Member
It's very rare that I can play any 1080p MKV on the BD125xx without having serious jitter and audio issues.... If they are under 10GB I think they actually do play almost smoothly, but the bigger they are the more jittery is the play.

Hi pedromenezes,
To tell you the truth, I cannot play MKV's on my HT-BD 1250 at all, don't know why. It simply does not recognize them. So I think about buying something like WDTV Live too.
Audio is more or less OK, if you properly adjust the distances to each group of speakers and their levels. It is highly recommended to boost the sub level to maximum and turn down center to, say, 60%.Sub compensates the lack of low and medium sounds from front, rear and center in some respect. Our cable offers HD channels with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound and I use my 1250 as a 5.1 receiver, it is connected with an optical cable to the TV's optical audio out (Samsung too). The surround effect is, of course, far from standalone components system for say EUR 2500, but acceptable.
Can someone help me with those MKV's? Maybe I need a new firmware version? Mine is 2.7, as far as I remember.

Last edited:

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Hi pedromenezes,
To tell you the truth, I cannot play MKV's on my HT-BD 1250 at all, don't know why. It simply does not recognize them. So I think about buying something like WDTV Live too.

Hello ashtree,
Well, the BD125X units didn't come with MKV playback abilities initially, I believe this was introduced around firmware 2.06 but I not sure on which one.

What I do know is that firmware 1.00 didn't have MKV playback capabilities neither Youtube online service.

Check your firmware, you're maybe running a very old one...
Mine came originally with 2.06, 14/09/2009 build, which wasn't the final official 2.06 firmware (that's the 16/09/2009 build and it's one that broke the FF/FR LAN MKV playback, it was working on the 14/09/2009 one) and it already played MKV.
Thus the only thing I can say for sure is that the 2.06 plays MKVs.

It is highly recommended to boost the sub level to maximum and turn down center to, say, 60%.Sub compensates the lack of low and medium sounds from front, rear and center in some respect.

Honestly my experience is the other way around, I think the Sub is WAAAAAY too punchy and over-compensated, specially on music concerts BluRays, thus I have it at -5db actually.
I do find a lack of mid-range sounds, and I also believe the central speaker is especially crappy as it provides a too-boxed sound too, but I only have that on at -2db.
One thing that can make a difference is Sound Compression and Sound Stage.
I have Sound Compression permanently off, as I want to enjoy the audio stream as the BluRay/MKV editor wanted.
Most of the time I also don't use Sound Stage, except if I'm seeing something late at night with a low volume (I live in a flat, thus have neighbors)... It helps in low volumes, but it also steals a lot of punch from the Sub.

Our cable offers HD channels with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound and I use my 1250 as a 5.1 receiver, it is connected with an optical cable to the TV's optical audio out (Samsung too).

Mine too, but I find my Cable supplier crappy in that sense, most of time the 5.1 is just stereo pumped on all 5 channels, so I actually don't use the BD1250 for that. Even in HD Movie channels I don't like the sound quality.

The surround effect is, of course, far from standalone components system for say EUR 2500, but acceptable.

Well I don't have much experience on Home Theaters, but for 650€ (at least that's how much my 1255 was) it at least 1/4 of that value.
It's an All-In-One... any AIO can't be compared with a custom built system... :)

Can someone help me with those MKV's? Maybe I need a new firmware version? Mine is 2.7, as far as I remember

Could you check that again? Currently the latest firmware is 2.41, so I doubt that the one you have is reaaaally a 2.7 one ;)

Perhaps you have 2.07, which was THE worst thing Samsung ever did on these units as most people bricked/killed theirs when upgrading to or from it.
If you have the 2.07 firmware, check the forums or the CNET linked I posted (which is actually the 2.07 thread) before doing anything.

Basically from 2.06 to 2.12 ALL the firmware were problematic, so much so that they don't even show up listed by Samsung.... to give you an idea I steered some much away from them that I did an upgrade from 2.06 to 2.31.

Last edited:

ashtree

Standard Member
Basically from 2.06 to 2.12 ALL the firmware were problematic, so much so that they don't even show up listed by Samsung.... to give you an idea I steered some much away from them that I did an upgrade from 2.06 to 2.31.
Hi, pedromenezes, and thank you very much for your reply.
Sorry, my fault, it really appeared to be 2.07. It doesn't support YouTube option either. Could you tell me where I can download 2.31 and can it brick the player as, say 2.12, as far as I know from other posts here? So-called online update option of the 1250 itself doesn't discover any new firmware versions, although I have a wireless LAN stick (I wish I didn't buy this garbage for EUR 50, I could simply connect it with longer LAN cable to my router).
Here in Bulgaria the 1250 was about EUR 400 in December 2009, when I bought it.
I will try your suggestions about the sound settings. We also live in a flat, so I had some problems with my neighbours downstairs, but I put the sub and front on the carpet and now it's OK (all speakers are on the floor, except the center, which is on the cupboard shelf under the TV).
The quality of 5.1 sound of HD channels is Ok with Discovery HD , NatGeo HD and local PPV movie channel, but it is not OK with MTV HD, although "Dolby Digital" appears, when I switch to it- is is simply ordinary stereo in five channels.

Last edited:

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Hi, pedromenezes, and thank you very much for your reply.
Sorry, my fault, it really appeared to be 2.07. It doesn't support YouTube option either. Could you tell me where I can download 2.31 and can it brick the player as, say 2.12, as far as I know from other posts here? So-called online update option of the 1250 itself doesn't discover any new firmware versions, although I have a wireless LAN stick (I wish I didn't buy this garbage for EUR 50, I could simply connect it with longer LAN cable to my router).
Here in Bulgaria the 1250 was about EUR 400 in December 2009, when I bought it.
I will try your suggestions about the sound settings. We also live in a flat, so I had some problems with my neighbours downstairs, but I put the sub and front on the carpet and now it's OK (all speakers are on the floor, except the center, which is on the cupboard shelf under the TV).
The quality of 5.1 sound of HD channels is Ok with Discovery HD , NatGeo HD and local PPV movie channel, but it is not OK with MTV HD, although "Dolby Digital" appears, when I switch to it- is is simply ordinary stereo in five channels.

Hi,

Hum, I believe there were some issues with 2.07 where they removed some functionality to address the bricking (there were several builds of the 2.07)... that could explain the lack of Youtube or MKV.

Before I go any further and I have to give a disclaimer: There have been reports of people killing their units when they upgraded from 2.07 to another firmware; this is your case and this is a risk that you are taking.

Try to understand first how your local Bulgarian Samsung support works. In most cases people that had their player bricked, just took it to a Samsung repair center and had a new mainboard fitted in and free of charge (if under warranty).
But there have been reports of people having to pay for it as their Samsung repair center said a firmware upgrade was a out-of-warranty issue... Pretty stupid and absurd for them to say that yes, I know; but there you have it.

I advise you first to read all the 32 pages of posts regarding issues with firmware 2.07 on the Samsung CNET forum: Official HT-BD1250 Firmware 2.07 Thread - CNET Samsung Forums
You'll see me (I use the same screen name) very eagerly asking the results of upgrading to all the several firmware every now and then to people that tried it.

Well, the latest firmware is no longer 2.31, but rather 2.41.
My Bulgarian is not strong, but I believe this is what you are looking for: Поддръжка за HT-BD1250R SAMSUNG (choose Фърмуер)

Forget the on-line upgrades, Samsung disabled that on their servers after the monumental screw-ups they did with firmwares 2.07 to 2.11, as people just innocently answered yes on their units on the upgrade prompt which resulted in a dead HT-BD125x. I don't think they'll ever enable it again as precaution.

I use a USB stick/pen-drive for the updates and I never saw the on-line upgrades say anything but "You're already at the latest firmware" on any firmware I had.

Yes, the 1250 (1250R in Bulgaria, but it's most likely the same) has the bookshelf speakers, thus was roughly less 160€ than the 1255 here in Portugal (and I also bought mine in December 2009).

Good luck, honest.

ashtree

Standard Member
Thank you VERY much, pedromenezes!
I even didn't know they have FINALLY launched a Bulgarian page, because Bulgaria was still totally missing from their portal just some two moths ago, although all their products have been widely sold here since the failure of Communists in 1989. (We have a Samsung TV, BluRay Player, fridge, microwave, my wife has their mobile phone). Their Romanian division have FINALLY opened an office here. I know , we're small market, but even such giants like them should resopec even the smallest markets. First of all, I'm going to call these guys and ask them about the dangers of such upgrade, and if they say that they will repair the player after a possible failure upon upgrade, I will do that. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

besterhc

Standard Member
Hi
I have s/w v1.08 and it is playing .mkv on usb if smaller than 4gig and stick formatted in FAT32 format.I can stream .mkv from the pc bigger than 4gig ,but when I get to 10gig it is jittery.My v1.08 is supporting You-tube and is working.Wanted to upgrade to new v2.41 because of the big files that are jittery,but they say it would'nt solve the problem.:rolleyes:

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Hi
I have s/w v1.08 and it is playing .mkv on usb if smaller than 4gig and stick formatted in FAT32 format.I can stream .mkv from the pc bigger than 4gig ,but when I get to 10gig it is jittery.My v1.08 is supporting You-tube and is working.Wanted to upgrade to new v2.41 because of the big files that are jittery,but they say it would'nt solve the problem.:rolleyes:

Hello again besterhc,

Well you're the first one I came accross running 1.08... most people have 1.00 or 2.06 upwards.

I wasn't sure when MKV support was introduced, now I know that at least in 1.08 it was already there.

My issue with firmwares after 2.06 140909 is that although they still stream MKV bigger than 4GB, I can no longer do a Fast Forward/Reverse or Jump-to-time (they I solved the Pause issue). Currently to work around this I use a USB disk which doesn't have that limitation.

I'm also not 100% sure of the 10GB mark for jitter-free 1080p MKVs.... I have some 8 to 9GB 1080p MKVs that play fine and most of my >10GB 1080p MKVs have jittering issues.... but on the other hand I also have 3 8.6GB 1080p MKVs that also have jittering issues.
I just gave up 1080p altogether on this unit and either use the TV or the WDTV Live for those.

But I can tell you already that at least from 2.06 onwards, it supports NTFS as my HD that I use has always been in NTFS; so if FAT32 is an issue for you, this is a good excuse to upgrade, albeit all the other bugs.

I haven't personally tried 2.41, just 2.31, but given Samsung's description of it, I believe all the issues are still there... at least in 2.31 all the issues were still present, including jittery 1080p MKVs.

besterhc

Standard Member
Have upgraded to 2.41.Playing .mkv 1080p of 10.4gig smooth on USB and LAN,BUT as said FF/RW not working on LAN,working on some .mkv's on USB.
I have 4.5gig .mkv's not ff/rw and 10.4gig .mkv's that does,so I do not know if the file size is the issue,I thought it could be the way the movie was ripped to .mkv,but than again why the same movie can ff/rw on USB and not LAN.

Do Samsung Techn.Support still read this Forum,if so it will me nice to hear some comments if there will be other upgrades on this unit,or if the 2.41 was the final one.:facepalm:

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Have upgraded to 2.41.Playing .mkv 1080p of 10.4gig smooth on USB and LAN,BUT as said FF/RW not working on LAN,working on some .mkv's on USB.
I have 4.5gig .mkv's not ff/rw and 10.4gig .mkv's that does,so I do not know if the file size is the issue,I thought it could be the way the movie was ripped to .mkv,but than again why the same movie can ff/rw on USB and not LAN.

Do Samsung Techn.Support still read this Forum,if so it will me nice to hear some comments if there will be other upgrades on this unit,or if the 2.41 was the final one.:facepalm:
If you think that's stupid, what about not being able to pause Streamed files for more than 3 minutes?
What about being able to FF/FR any MKV of any size through the LAN on f/w 2.06 140909 and not being able to do any FF/FR on MKVs bigger than 4GB through the LAN from 2.06 160909 onwards??? How stupid is that?

As far as I know all the MKVs that I have (regardless of size and resolution) have been FF/FR-able on USB but never on LAN ever since I upgraded from the original (2.06 140909) firmware.

I don't know if Samsung EVER read this forum; They did read and pay attention to the customers on the CNET forums.... but they've been quite quiet on this Unit for a long long time...

With new units on the market, I doubt they ever fix any of the issues.... it's typical of Samsung, they release a newer unit and they stop caring (as little as they did) about the customers that actually bought the older unit...

I doubt the 2.41 is the last firmware.... BluRay titles are a work in progress and frequently new titles (specially with 3D hyperbuzz now) require that Java-based BluRay players (like the BD1255) have a BD profile update for those tiles to work properly.

All Samsung ever did since f/w 2.06 was release BD profile updates on the firmware and addressing 0% of the know issues, so I believe they still release newer firmwares but just with BD profile updates.

I've reported the issues to their Tech Support in Portugal and to the International one and both assured me that "my complaints would be analyzed and addressed in future firmwares"... This when Firmware 2.12 was out, by the way, so that's how long I've given up on this.

I have a Samsung LE46B650 TV and had 3 other Samsung LCD TV's before that.... I'm now looking at LED TV and I assure you that I haven't even bothered myself to look at the Samsung models yet as I decided that the HT-BD1255 is the last thing I ever bought from Samsung.... maybe that I change my current decision, but I don't feel motivated for that.

I actually regret the day that I decided to buy the BD1255 instead of the similar LG AIO unit because at the time the LG unit didn't have MKV support and the BD1255 had MKV support but had issues with it... I took a leap of faith and went for Samsung.

I was let down.

Now the LG unit not only has MKV support, it also works correctly, pauses, ff/fr on LAN and their customer service and forums actually pay attention to the customer (I check them every now and then).

Last edited:

besterhc

Standard Member
I think LG support is not great either , I have bought a LG-42LD460 TV and the USB is a problem,it do not play .mkv's with DTS sound and that is why I bought the TV becuase it can play .mkv's.I have mailed support and got a Stinky mail back that the manual states on page so and so it is not playing DTS sound and there are no s/w upgrades for this unit.So I got the BD1250 on a big sale for next to nothing.OK at least I can watch all my .mkv's now.

pedromenezes

Standard Member
I think LG support is not great either , I have bought a LG-42LD460 TV and the USB is a problem,it do not play .mkv's with DTS sound and that is why I bought the TV becuase it can play .mkv's.I have mailed support and got a Stinky mail back that the manual states on page so and so it is not playing DTS sound and there are no s/w upgrades for this unit.So I got the BD1250 on a big sale for next to nothing.OK at least I can watch all my .mkv's now.

The LG I mentioned was the LG HB954TBW, it was more expensive, close to 900€, but came with wireless (and much better) speakers.

Considering that I payed 700€ for the BD1255 when it was just freshly released by Samsung as their best HTIB system and didn't buy it on sale like you did for almost half that price... yeah I'm slightly ticked off by believing in them and being constantly ignored by them

Well, I can tell you the reason why I bought the BD1255 was exactly because of the same reason as you did... the difference is that I have a Samsung TV and not an LG.
My Samsung TV (LE46B650) does do MKV correctly (and it PAUSES!!!), BUT
- The PC Streaming (DLNA) is a joke, you can't ff/fr,or use subtitles for example; except if you use the Samsung DLNA Software which is even a bigger joke.
- It also doesn't play DTS, so I had to recode all my MKVs to AC3.
- The worst thing of all, it has a Digital Out, but it only outputs 5.1 when using the built in DTV tunner, otherwise (including playing MKVs) it only outputs stereo.... So in order to have 5.1 sound, I actually couldn't use the TV as a Media Player.

So you see, Samsung TV's also are not perfect media players either, although as TV's I find them much superior than LG overall.

So I was in the market for a Home Theater with 5.1 sound and MKV Media Player, preferably in the same unit.... I choose the Sammy BD1255 instead of the LG HB954TBW... Looks like I chose poorly, but I certain the LG unit is not perfect either.

Now I have, not 1 but 2 devices that are MKV media players and both of them are almost perfect but have "that annoying flaw" that renders them almost unusable.
Both of them share the brand Samsung, and both of them Samsung refuses to fix these issues and ignore their customers.

Do you think I'll own a third device Samsung device? I think not if they keep like this.

Good luck with your BD1250, I hope you can enjoy it more than I can :)

Last edited:

besterhc

Standard Member
Hi Pedromenezes
I have got firmware BEv2.06_090914_HTBD12XX_MEA.RUF.
But what was the issue with this.You talked about unable to FF/RW files bigger than 4 gig on the LAN (PC Streaming).So this is all so no good.Must I stay with 2.41,because all mu MKV's are bigger than 4gig.

pedromenezes

Standard Member
Hi Pedromenezes
I have got firmware BEv2.06_090914_HTBD12XX_MEA.RUF.
But what was the issue with this.You talked about unable to FF/RW files bigger than 4 gig on the LAN (PC Streaming).So this is all so no good.Must I stay with 2.41,because all mu MKV's are bigger than 4gig.

Hi again besterhc,

Well, if that one REALLY is the 090914 than I would like to try it on my unit.

I don't know if it will work in my case because:
a) The ones I have are all *_XEF.RUF, MEA is for Middle East and Asia so I don't know if they are applicable to my unit (XEF is Europe apparently).
b) I also have a BEv2_06_090914_HTBD12XX_XEF.RUF firmware file on a pen drive, but that is actually a typo from Samsung on the file name... If I open it with an hex editor or apply it the system software menu says 2.06 090916 and not 14.

The bottom line is that my BD1255 came with 2.06 090914 (and it said that on the system software menu so it really was 090914) and I had some issues, but I could FF/FR MKVs bigger than 4GB.

I applied 2.31 in an attempt to solve all the other issues with no results. All the issues still continued and a new issue appeared... I could no longer FF/FR MKVs over the LAN if they were bigger than 4GB.

I've been searching ever since for the 2.06 090914 firmware and I've got a few files claiming to be that version, but once I update the system software, in the menu it says 2.06 090916 instead of 090914 AND I still have the issue with FF/FR.

I'm now using 2.41 and although I still have FF/FR issue, it seems 2.41 does play 1080p files much smoother than 2.31 and prior.

WDavis28

Standard Member
I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere else, so I was wondering if anyone here has heard of this problem with the bd1250: it was sent with firmware 1.00, the system update says it has the current firmware, so I tried the usb method, but when I plug in the drive all it says is 'usb connected' and doesn't update. I tried formatting the usb and resetting the unit, still nothing. I just bought this, so if there's no way way to update it I'm going to return it. Thanks

jhonyf

Standard Member
Hi there, I 've tried to upgrade my HT-BD1250 to 2.41. I'm following the upgrade guide and I have a USB drive formatted FAT32 only with the .RUF file, however, the unit try to read the USB and inmediately appears a message of error reading the upgrade file. I've tried with another USB drive and using the 2.31 RUF file with the same result. Any idea???

r3dzombie

Standard Member
does anyone have any idea on how to stream from windows 7 ?, never used to have a problem on vista

thanks in advance

theparn

Hi Guys

Really need some help on connecting to the iMac. I can see it in the list of devices but it keeps asking for a username and password - the iMac has a user name and password but that isn't working?

anthonygriff

Standard Member
To all the people having problems with the firmware upgrades: make sure you have the correct file for your machine as there are several different files on the samsung download pages. The best thing to do is go to the samsung site that covers your area and download from their support pages. I'm in England and downloaded the file from the .com website at first, but this turned out to be the wrong file for UK machines and was being constantly ignored. I downloaded from the UK site and it worked like a charm, it was a filename ending with xef.

rozzarob

Standard Member
Hi,

I have an audio problem when streaming .mkv files on my Samsung HT-BD1252. Often, I have no sound at all (even though video plays fine). I have the latest firmware installed and the files seem to have the DTS audio codec. I've read somewhere about an issue with mkv files having multiple language options, but am not sure if this is the problem. Any ideas folks? :lease:

ruslidze

Standard Member
hi all.
anyone has 2.06 HTBD12XX XSA firmware??? ridiculous, but samsung doesn't have an archive, and I couldn't locate a file using google or other search engines...

bitabubbly

Standard Member
How did you get the high-ptiched humming noise that occured when machine was on stadby to stop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 4th August 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett