Samsung HT-BD1255 review (also HT-BD1252 & HT-BD1250)

ZakD

Standard Member
Hi All,

Decided to post my review of the Samsung HT-BD1255 here, since nothing else on the Net just yet.

NB. This review applies to the new Samsung Home Theatre (Home Cinema) HT-BD1255, but equally applies to HT-BD1252 & HT-BD1250

Pre-sale
Before purchasing this system, I was looking at many other options, and my favoured one was a separates system. I've not spent money on TV/Audio for sometime, and have been waiting for the market to stabilise a bit (Profile 2.0, Blu-Ray format, Audio formats) before putting my hand in my pocket. I was also after a quality audio system too, after having quality B&W speakers and subs previously for music. Things are settling down a bit down now, and after a tiny bit of research, the optimal system I came up with for myself was as follows
Amplifier: Pioneer LX-51
Front Speakers: B&W 684
Rear speakers: B&W 686
Centre: B&W HTM61
Sub: B&W ASW610
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP350 or Pioneer BDP51
I also considered a lesser speaker setup, using smaller MK Xeno's or Monitor style small book shelf speakers. But after listening to the quality in 7oaks, I wasn't happy with the fact that after spending £799 on an amp, the sound isn't quite as good as it should be, or as worth paying for the quality in the amp. For me, the minimal quality acceptable is really B&W 600 series. Now, even the 600 series is good, but not great. The B&W 700 series is ideally what I'd like, which really makes a huge difference. But the price isn't affordable. The 600 series is more affordable.

Now the total price of this system would be way over £2k, not to mention stands and cables. And I wouldn't even be 100% satisfied!

So as an entry to Blu-Ray, and a move from my 2.0 system :eek: I decided to plump for the Samsung HT-BD1255, which seems to be the only system on the market of its kind, and indeed ticks all the right boxes. Even knowing the sound quality would be nowhere near my liking.

Review

I've had the system just a week now, and haven't had chance to review the whole system, or watch many Blu-Rays, so here are some first impressions. First of all the basics:

Positives
+ Price

+ Overall value for money

+ It's a Blu-Ray HD, Dolby True HD & DTS MA, Home Cinema in a box.

+ It does exactly what it says on the tin (1080p 24fps, Dolby True HD, all-in-one, crystal clear sound, iPod dock, 1000W, Profile 2.0 etc)

+ Stylish, looks good. Nice unit, good materials all round. Robust.

+ Avoids purchasing separate Amplifier, Blu-Ray Player, 5.1 Speaker system, Cables (including all the hassle)

+ It comes in a single box, delivered to your door, next day delivery, with minimal setup required

+ If you've a Samsung TV like me, the Anynet+ functionality is great.

+ I've got rid of my previous HiFi (Amp & Speakers)

+ Finally got a home for my iPod, in the cradle. iPod sound quality is as good as can be expected

+ The BD1255 speaker stands work well as an alternative to wall mounting the speakers, or finding that shelf to stick them on.

Neutral / indifferent aspects:
- Energy compliance: well, the system is going to be on constantly, up to 1kW, for say 12hrs a day, hardly energy efficient

- Kelp speakers: the speakers are so small, does it make a difference?

- PC Streaming: I've not tried this yet, but am wondering whether I'd ever use it. Especially when all my audio is sync'd onto my iPod. And for anything else I can quickly copy onto a USB stick and plug in. Is buying a wireless module worth it? If I could play a game on my laptop, and output the audio via the 5.1 system that would be different, but from what I've read, audio can only streamed from say Windows Media Player.

- Wireless rear speakers: not tried this yet. The rear speaker cables are well hidden due to the clever colour anyway

- FM Receiver: Now, Digital TV comes with Digital Radio stations, so any radio listening we do seamlessly via the TV Guide. This works well. So I can't imagine any reason why any signicant market would want to use the FM receiver. It's not DAB either.

- Picture: I'm not going to comment on the Blu-Ray picture, since for me its perfect, but why should it be anything else? It's a digital signal to my TV. btw Don't buy expensive HDMI cables. I paid £20 in John Lewis :eek: for mine, but Tesco's sell for £4 now. You'll not get any degradation in quality with a cheaper cable (if cable length is under say 5m, ie. most people).

Negatives
- Lip sync is significantly out when playing back DVD's (TV is fine, Blu-ray not as bad). AV sync feature doesn't 100% correct either of these lip-sync problems. Really annoying

- DVD playback picture is poor. DVD's do "upscale", some elements are clearer, but overall much noise is introduced into the picture. Mainly when viewing TV made DVD's (e.g. Entourage) or on moving scenes. Disappointing since overall DVD playback is worse than my previous DVD player. It's meant to upscale, not downscale!

NB. Blu Ray picture is fine. 100% ok. Any problems/issues I have I can put down to my TV, and are a config preference
NB. There is a system option for 'VIDEO', implying there that there are problems when playing back TV made DVD's. But hassle to toggle this option for watching DVD's (I've not tried the VIDEO option yet)

- Audio quality is a lot poorer than using my previous 2.0 Denon HiFi system (bookshelf style speakers). Mid & low freq ranges are absent, and as a result I've lost the warmth of being "in the film", and feel like I'm forcing myself to listen now, rather than being immersed

- Crystal Clear sound: Samsung sell the package as Crystal Clear sound. Yes, it's clear, crystal in fact. No surprise there given the small speakers. What's not mentioned, is the lack of the other parts of the sound! (as described above). This extends to the sub-woofer, which hardly does a job to complement or aid this deficiency.

- Sub: The sub sounds are 'boomy' and not refined or elegant

- TV Audio drop outs: Intermittently when watching TV (audio via the system), the Digital Optical signal from TV (Digital Tuner) seems to sometimes drops out for say 5 seconds, then comes back on again. All for no apparent reason. Picture is fine, indicating that the reception wasn't at fault.

- Humming noise on standby: When the player is put into standby point (red light on), a very loud high pitched sound is heard. When the player is switched on, the sound stops. As a result, I have to power-off everytime I finish using the system.

- Anynet: The Anynet+ functionality does not always work so well. Some aspects haven't been thought through enough. It's not clear how to switch between TV and Blu Ray system ie. keeping the audio output from the system, whilst playing back a Digital Tuner TV picture.

- Pause button: The Pause button on the Remote Control does not work. To pause, you need to press the Play button. Now, on my Original Samsung TV remote, the Play/Pause button is combined, and works fine. So obviously a problem moving to the new remote

- Remotes: It's not possible to completely downsize to a single remote, because on the remote, there's no Digital TV Guide button. So I'm still left with 2 remotes, but better than 3

- iPod menu system is not great. The styling is good, and the menu's are the same as what you see on your iPod. But, unlike the iPod, you can't seem to keep a song playing whilst trying to navigate to the next song. Now, iPods have a nice feature for quickly getting to the next track, by whirling the wheel around, cycling through the Alphabet letters - but nothing like this on this system, not even a chance to input the first letter. So this means, you play one track, wait about 10 mins with no audio, then finally listen to the next one. It effectively makes any sort of random playing impossible. Which is the case when you have a family where kids, Mrs all want something different/random to be played.

- Searching: The fast forward / rewind feature when playing back Blu-Rays is a bit clunky, and not at all slick or seamless. You can hear the player start squeaking and struggling to cope with the new instruction, then finally deciding to rewind etc.

- My lounge: I have the BD1255 (speakers on 4 stands), and there's an odd ambience in the room now where the audio system looks like it should be top-notch, where its actually the opposite. This wouldn't be so bad if it was the smaller presence of the BD1250 (same speakers, no stands/casings). At least then there'd be more of a wow factor, or rather satisfaction.

- Bad screws: The screws supplied to fit the stands to the base are of very poor quality. With the screw housings being a very tight fit, this meant that all my screws got rounded whilst screwing them in. So they're stuck for life now. Unfortunately, one screw got rounded before it got half way in, and now I have a wobbly rear speaker ...

- Game consoles: There's no where to plug-in my Nintendo Wii - no Component-In. So I've plugged my Wii directly into the Component-In on the TV. Now, the system does have L+R (Red/White) Audio inputs (AUX), but not sure if I could have the TV playing a Component signal, whilst connected via Anynet+ to the BD1255 set to AUX. I've not tried yet, so for now the Wii audio is directly into my TV.

- Overall, the audio quality doesn't come close to a decent separates system (even a low-end one)

Summary
My first impressions of the system were not great. DVD playback was less quality than previous. TV audio quality was less too, due to moving from decent bookshelf speakers, to mini-style speakers. Then the lip sync problem was just really annoying. The immediate noticeable downside was the lack of immersion when watching the picture, I felt myself 'conciously listening', rather than sub-conciously being in the TV/film.

After sorting out some of the audio config, and picture settings, and finally watching a Blu-ray disc, things started to come together. Firstly, this is the first time when one can say you've a cinema at home. A HD picture is phenomenal on any system, and now with full 5.1 surround sound it's impressive. The overall experience of watching films in my lounge is now superb. And I was able to just click a button on the Net, and there it was the next day. What amazing times we live in. After a few nights of watching Blu Rays, and getting used to the great picture, and new audio system, I'm now totally satisfied with the end results. For me, this is a first step to getting into Blu-Ray, whilst being fully prepared to go to the next level in some years to come ie. getting rid of system completely and upgrading. I'm already goggling over the new LED TV's, and the audio marketeers will be sure to make similar advances.

All the positive points above hold true. Also, things like switching to Dolby True HD on Blu-Ray discs does make a significant and noticeable improvement on audio quality. Anynet integration is great on the Samsungs, and a cool feature. Overall it's a cool system, made for the modern home.

What about the negative points then? Well: the lip sync is only noticeable when looking for it; I've now switched all my Lovefilm DVD's to Blu-Ray, so not going to be playing back DVD's again; the audio quality I can live with as an entry to true cinema, and the effects do make up to a certain extent the deficiencies - also, you get used to your own system and notice less as time goes on (I will be splashing out in yrs to come though); the audio drop outs on the TV I can live with; the standby humming - I just turn it off, and save energy at the same time; iPod - that feature is just a bonus, and never intended to use the sysem as an iPod dock, for when I do use it, the functionality is fine; rew/fwd - how often does anyone rew/fwd?! - I chapter skip; what about my odd lounge? - still getting used to it, but better to have a cheap speaker sat by my ear, than a £379 B&W 684 just sat there waiting for the surround to come in; still got the wobbly speaker - who cares; Wii plugged into the TV, so no issue there, and no great loss of audio quality with the Wii.

Would I recommend the BD1255 or 1252/1250? Well, at sub £600 that's a no brainer! Of course! What great value for money. A true home cinema, at say £450 for the BD1250 is an absolute bargain. It does everything it says, and I've not burnt a whole in my pocket. In fact, I can buy an LED TV with the money I've saved - think of it that way.

When you're faced with buying a minimum spec amp at £799, and on the other hand can get a whole system for £450, which achieves similar, its a no brainer. Lets say you went into 7oaks, and asked how you could reduce your +£2500 Blu-ray & audio system to go with your new TV. If the guy said well, if you could live with a less warm sound, clunky rew/fwd, a wobbly speaker, lip sync slightly out - I'll give you £2000 off with a lesser spec Samsung system, I'm sure you'd accept.:thumbsup:

Highly recommended.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
so with -
dvd and blu-ray sync issues,
poor dvd playback(PQ),
poorer audio quality than your denon hi-fi,
a boomy unrefined sub as you put it,
tv audio drop-outs, and digital optical audio drop-outs,
a high pitched sound when on standby(is everyone supposed to live with it permanently off!!),
clunky ipod interface,
"an odd ambience in the room now where the audio system looks like it should be top-notch, where its actually the opposite",
typical samsung build quality issues(Screws,etc),
no real compatibility/connectivity,
and "Overall, the audio quality doesn't come close to a decent separates system (even a low-end one)",

you would still "Highly recommend" it??...sounds to me, like you are trying to convince yourself you havent made the wrong choice, and have wasted your money..
for £600 i would imagine you could get something a lot better than that..

Last edited:

ZakD

Standard Member
Interesting comments.

No, not at all trying to convince myself I've wasted money. In fact its totally the opposite, I've saved myself £2k compared to the system I was previously going to purchase.

And if I thought I'd made the wrong choice, I'd just send it straight back, or even stick it on eBay, and make a profit.

In fact it's a perfect choice. The Samsung marketeers have got this spot-on, and their production team have got this system out ahead of their competition, with minimal issues. This is a system designed for the masses, not the niche audiophiles, and is sold by Currys, John Lewis, et al. Go check it out in-store. Sure, for those who want higher quality then going for a separates system is going to be better, but deep pockets are needed, and the incremental gain in audio quality, compared to the additional cost just doesn't stack up. For me there's just no viable interim option in the £600 - £2500 range.

Times have changed, technology has improved, and things will continue to evolve. All-in-one systems are now viable, quality adequate, and avoidance now possible of being forced down the separates route.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in that niche space wanting a B&W 700 system, but currently thats far too excessive for my lounge, lifestyle, kids/wife and current audio needs. I'm glad I've now made that realisation.

Final point about the audio: first we had vinyl, then cassette, then CD, now mp3. Each time the quality became significantly poorer, but yet each shift became revolutionary. The modern day mp3 player is a huge phenomenom, yet the quality is awful, even at 320kbps. I hate the compromise, and mp3's are only good for earphones, but I still own one, accept the drawbacks, yet thrive on the portability and file sharing aspects. A shift to this system is no different.

AMcGuru

Standard Member
Hi ZakD

I too am seriously thinking of buying the BD1252 but am concerned regarding the lup sync issues you've experienced.

Please can you let me know if you've managed to resolve these issues.

Also, is it easy to use the surround with Digital input from the TV? i.e. if you switch to watching TV after watching a Blu-ray, does the unit automaticlly switch sound input or do you have to do it manually?

Many thanks

Andrew

ZakD

Standard Member
Hi Andrew,

The AV Sync was set by default to 50ms on my player. After switching it to 0ms, I seem to have resolved the issue. I've just watched two Blu-Rays, and also switched to TV, and there's no issue now. Not checked DVD's, but not too bothered about them.

Yes, it's easy to use the unit as a Receiver, and watch TV in surround sound. You just select "Tuner" using the remote, and it switches to TV signal, and automatically uses the Digital Optical Audio In for the TV Audio. This works really well.

All my other issues have sorted themselves out. There's no more high-pitched sound on standby. I've turned down the volume on the Sub by -2dB and I've balanced all the speakers, and now the sound is very good.

AMcGuru

Standard Member
ZakD

Thanks for the information. I feel a lot more comfortable now that I know you've managed to resolve the lip sync issues; that'll be something that'll drive me mad if I couldn't resolve it!!

It's also very good to know that you have some control over the volume of the sub. I currently use a Samsung HT-X200 2.1 surround which doesn't have any control over the sub; on occasions I find the sub quote boomy and can take over from the audio coming from the side speakers.

How much volume control does the HT-BD1255 allow over the sub?

Just one more question. How long (approx) are the cables for the rear surround speakers?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

ZakD

Standard Member
Hi Andrew,

The audio controls are quite good, wherby you can configure the distance for each speaker, select the audio levels and balances (including sub).

The rear cables: best guess 10m? I've plenty of slack, and an average size living room. Of course, there's the wireless module also should you desire for about £43.

Slask

Standard Member
ZakD, many thanks for your review and also your follow ups. I've been considering the BD1255 system and was quite happy to find your review. I think its the very first actually. :)

The review put me off the system... but now that you have resolved the major issues, its back on again!

I know you don't care that much about DVD's, but I'll give it a try anyway: Region protection. I got quite a lot of DVD's purchased in the US, so being possible to play other regions then european is of importance! Do you know of the possibilites to work around this stupid "feature"? (Also valid for BlueRay.)

Also, can you help me out in regard of heat on the main unit. Way too warm to be put inside a bench? Is there a loud nasty fan included?

In advance, many thanks.

// Slask

Expert47

Standard Member
I have my new 1250 almost set up, still have to do the rear speakers, and while I like it for the most part, the exceedingly loud fan noise has me concerned.

If you're watching a movie and there is a quiet moment, it's overpowering and the unit runs fairly warm which explains the fan noise.

But if this is 'normal', i may have issues with the unit. I paid a great price, but if it's too loud to enjoy, that could impact if i keep it. Obviously, Samsung wanted this to be kept private, but everyone considering this unit should listen to the fan noise in a quiet location to decide if it's too loud. Maybe it'll get quieter as the fan motor wears in, but i'm not holding my breath on that one!

Will post a more complete review in a week or 2 after I've had time to play with it more. My initial reaction is other than the fan noise, i like it..!

Ex.

Additional note: Well, ok, so it was REALLY loud. I turned the system off before writing my previous post and about an hour later turned it back on and the fan noise was actually almost silent, so maybe it only gets loud after it's on a while, lets see, maybe like 30-40 minutes into a movie?

Just wanted to update my opinion!

Second edit.. : Ok, maybe i was a bit hasty in my 1st opinion. After a good nights sleep and a call to Samsung, it dawned on me while waiting to talk to them. The 1250 was sitting on the DVR, and that box gets warm with all the junk in there. So, maybe the heat of both units combined for a much louder fan noise than expected.

This am, the fan is off and has been off for 15-20 minutes, and i added spacers between the two components for better air circulation. As of now, the unit is dead silent. Will update tonight after leaving both items on today.

Ex.

ZakD, many thanks for your review and also your follow ups. I've been considering the BD1255 system and was quite happy to find your review. I think its the very first actually. :)

The review put me off the system... but now that you have resolved the major issues, its back on again!

I know you don't care that much about DVD's, but I'll give it a try anyway: Region protection. I got quite a lot of DVD's purchased in the US, so being possible to play other regions then european is of importance! Do you know of the possibilites to work around this stupid "feature"? (Also valid for BlueRay.)

Also, can you help me out in regard of heat on the main unit. Way too warm to be put inside a bench? Is there a loud nasty fan included?

In advance, many thanks.

// Slask

Last edited:

Slask

Standard Member
...and now I start hesitating again... damn. :)

But thank you for the heads up!

Maybe I should go for Sony HTP-BD2RSF instead.

EDIT: And with the second edit, the system is back on. I think I am developing split personalities here. o_O

Last edited:

Expert47

Standard Member
Slask, the Sony is 2 years old, which techwise is a dinosaur.. I doubt it's even BT 2.0.

Honestly, even with it's flaws, i'd seriously still get the Samsung. It's sleek, the speakers are surprisingly decent for the price, and and it can stream netflix (dunno if you're in the UK, but why not?) and music. Ipod, etc. Too many features to skip. Check ebay for deals, and many places are already selling for under $500.

I found a bargain, don't know if it was hot or simply an employee sale item, it was new in the box and easy to install and looks sweet.

Just get it and you can tell me what you think..! If you expect a $10,000 home theatre experience, i'd think you'll be disappointed, but if you expect a $2000 HT, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised for 1/4th the price.

Ex.

...and now I start hesitating again... damn. :)

But thank you for the heads up!

Maybe I should go for Sony HTP-BD2RSF instead.

EDIT: And with the second edit, the system is back on. I think I am developing split personalities here. o_O

elmes100

Novice Member
Hi thanks for review it kinda gets you worried, then makes you less nervous towards the end :)

I can't really be bovered with getting separates (just gave away a str-db1070) so looking for a simple modern good looking all-in-one. The Sony amp was far too complex and sounded rubbish with music. Does this system sound good with music/ipod?

I was looking at the HT953TV looks pretty sweet but let down with lack of blu-ray. Wondering if I should get that and a ps3 or the ht-bd1255.

Is the ht-bd1255 streets ahead of it, I'm not up on all the 1.x profiles and hdmi 1.x etc?

PS. my room is 4 metres by 4.5 with a philips ambilight 42".

Thanks...

Expert47

Standard Member
I'm in the US and i don't even see the 1255 available here, only the 1250. I think they're similar although the 1255 has bigger speakers. Don't know if that makes them better or not. I played several blu ray disks and the music was great. haven't tried my ipod in it yet but maybe this is a good excuse to give it a shot..!

I still think for the price, the Samsung will be a great seller.. It's not high end, but for their price, i didn't expect high end. If I want that, i'll buy $10k worth of components, but honestly, at least so far, the bad stuff is outweighed by the good stuff and i'm still satisfied :)

Ex.

Hi thanks for review it kinda gets you worried, then makes you less nervous towards the end :)

I can't really be bovered with getting separates (just gave away a str-db1070) so looking for a simple modern good looking all-in-one. The Sony amp was far too complex and sounded rubbish with music. Does this system sound good with music/ipod?

I was looking at the HT953TV looks pretty sweet but let down with lack of blu-ray. Wondering if I should get that and a ps3 or the ht-bd1255.

Is the ht-bd1255 streets ahead of it, I'm not up on all the 1.x profiles and hdmi 1.x etc?

PS. my room is 4 metres by 4.5 with a philips ambilight 42".

Thanks...

Globalist_71

Standard Member
Thanks for the review, I have been looking for a review on the BD1255 for a while. However I am concerned about the DVD upscaling comment. I like to be able to play my current DVD's without the lipsync issue and quality issues. :eek:

How long does it take to load a blu ray disk in this system? (BD2 could take upto 15 minutes). :suicide:

I have a Samsung HD TV, anynet is a benefit.. but good sound and vision is more important..

Any ideas on region codes?
I have been traveling and living on a few continents (My TV is originally from Singapore and so is my current region free DVD 5.1 system, my DVD collection exists of quite a number of the 10 existing codes, and I have been given some blu ray disks in Asia from friends that are region A while the UK has B. Now there are ways to get rid of the region codes (they are merely software settings) but Samsung UK is refusing to help. :nono:

I am thinking to actually go for a Denon 5.1 system with a seperate blu ray player now. avoiding the DVD playback issues and the loud fan noise which has been heard regularly on samsung HT-BD products. Any suggestions on blu ray players that are good with the Denon system, are good with dvd upscaling, can play 2.0 and are region free? :D

Globalist_71

Welsh Whirlwind

Why put up with all of the issues associated with this system when you can just pick up a PS3 and link it to a Sony DDWG800 or a HTSF1300 (or the newer models HTSF360 & HTSS360)?

You'll have all of the functionality of the above and alot more...
The sound on these systems is excellent and very immersive, connectivity is vastly superior, all HD formats are supported when converted to LPCM, You'd pay the same price if not a little less (and have a PS3 to boot!), excellent DVD upscaling, faultless HD picture, fastest BD loading up times, plus you won't have the shocking breakdown history of Samsung AIO's (just do a search of this forum to find endless issues...) - Maybe these faults have been rectified with this model so I won't pass judgement just yet, but, as I said, if Samsungs history is anything to go by...

The only 'negative' is that it's not one box, but alot of people already have a PS3 etc. anyway. And it's worth remembering if something goes wrong with an AIO system the whole thing is rendered useless, having seperate peripherals means you would not have to replace the whole system if one part malfunctioned.

But Well done to Zak on an excellent review, it's always good to see other forum members taking the time to inform in this way. In what will no doubt prove to be a useful thread to many. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
But the PS3 also uses region codes?

i dont see Welsh Whirlwind mentioning region codes??
i think he meant these issues, as documented by the OP:

dvd and blu-ray sync issues,
poor dvd playback(PQ),
poorer audio quality than your denon hi-fi,
a boomy unrefined sub as you put it,
tv audio drop-outs, and digital optical audio drop-outs,
a high pitched sound when on standby(is everyone supposed to live with it permanently off!!),
clunky ipod interface,
"an odd ambience in the room now where the audio system looks like it should be top-notch, where its actually the opposite",
typical samsung build quality issues(Screws,etc),
no real compatibility/connectivity,
and "Overall, the audio quality doesn't come close to a decent separates system (even a low-end one)"

quite why anyone would want such a system is beyond me, IMO, as Welsh says, a far better sounding system, with more inputs, and far better quality/pedigree could be had by purchasing an AIO amp/speakers and seperate player.
and as its one of the complete AIO's, if it goes belly up, it all goes..

as for multi region dvd players, they are 10 a penny, and you can pick up a region B blue-ray player for about £70 or so, and flash the firmware so its a region A player, or get one that can be modded,etc.

Last edited:

Beancounter

I am having a picture and sound issue with Sky HD and this system. If the machine is on and I am watching Sky there is a constant flicker and some short sound cut outs too. I don't need to be listening to the sound via the system either. If I disconnect the HDMI cable it is fine. Also, the fan seems to have got very loud the last day or two. Granted it is much warmer than usula just now but the machine is on it's own and well ventilated.

Anyone else with this model had these problems?

Slask

Standard Member
Running out of time as I want surround system available when I celebrate my birthday in a couple of weeks, but hmmm... now that IS a good idea. The follow up system Sony HT-SF2300 just launched and look quite nice. Pairing that one with a PS3... sure, why not? This will require some thinking.

EDIT: Hmmm... Welsh Whirlwind, can't find any difference in spec between HT-SF2300 and HT-SF1300. Just design changes to match their latest blueray players??? Oh well, guess I'll go for the HT-SF1300. I just hope it will be happy with my Samsung 46B7070 screen. :)

Last edited:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
The follow up system Sony HT-SF2300 just launched and look quite nice.

EDIT: Hmmm... Welsh Whirlwind, can't find any difference in spec between HT-SF2300 and HT-SF1300. Just design changes to match their latest blueray players??? Oh well, guess I'll go for the HT-SF1300. I just hope it will be happy with my Samsung 46B7070 screen. :)

the 2300 has been out for around a year now, its NOT a new model.!!

and the only difference with the 2300 and the 1300 is the fascia, to match the blu-ray players, and an extra £100 or so over the 1300.

Slask

Standard Member
the 2300 has been out for around a year now, its NOT a new model.!!

and the only difference with the 2300 and the 1300 is the fascia, to match the blu-ray players, and an extra £100 or so over the 1300.

The launch of models clearly differ ALOT between markets. Here in Sweden 2300 is so fresh its not even available yet. Thanks for the confirmation that its just a face lift. The system in mind at the moment is the 1300 and a PS3. :smashin:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
the 2300 europe wide has been out for a year, just because it cant be found doesnt mean its new...

Slask

Standard Member
the 2300 europe wide has been out for a year, just because it cant be found doesnt mean its new...

Again oh so very true, but not yet available combined with stated as "New model" at the Swedish Sony site tells a different story. :)

The real question is... have the 1300 model had any proper replacement that is worth looking into? Is HT-SF360 a good one? (Also stated as New model, but then again... :D )

EDIT: Sorry, discussion around the above Sony models don't fit this thread. I'll wander off to another thread.

Last edited:

ZakD

Standard Member

In advance, many thanks.

// Slask

Hi Slask,

My system is on all day, from 7am to 11pm. I've just felt it and its stone cold. Mine is not in a bench, but I do have my LCD TV sat directly on top of it. I just assume heat is correctly being dissapated away from the unit. So no problem with heat, but obviously need to be mindful of keeping the air vents clear.

No nasty fan either. I frequently have the volume on very low, and never noticed any noise. In fact, I've just had to walk up and put my ear close (at zero volume) to check whether it makes any noise at all.

ZakD

Standard Member
Does this system sound good with music/ipod?

Using an iPod is not great, but not bad. Firstly, using any surround system to listen to mp3's will result in mediocre quality. This system does a pretty good job, and once you've selected the desired setting (Movie, Hall, Surround..) then you get a decent sound. The iPod connection is just an additional nice feature or gimmic for me though. It's not viable for serious music users though. The iPod is accessed via the on-screen menu's, rather than the iPod itself - which means it's quite clunky and doesn't allow easy selection of tracks. But ok if you just want to listen to a playlist, or specific album, or anything that avoids 'manual intervention'.

Of course, you can wirelessly stream music from your laptop etc., but not tried that yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp