Samsung HR738 - No EPG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mafiatone, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Mafiatone

Mafiatone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought a Samsung HR738 DVD recorder for £300.

Looking on the website it listed the HR731 model as having an EPG included but it appears that the HR738 does not have it and the HR731 has been discontinued as its no longer on the Samsung Website.

Recording TV on the fly is easy as you can just point and shoot but scheduling a recording requires a PHD ! Surely for the price of this kit it should come with an EPG which allows you to easily select which programs to record without having to scedule them like a 1980's VCR. Argos do a DigiBox recorder for £99 quid so it should be too hard to do.

Can anyone suggest a decent DVD-Recorder which has an EPG and will allow me to store MP3's and Jpeg's as well.

I think I will be taking the HR738 back as I am disapointed with its complexity.

2. countryman

countryman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Mafiatone,

Sorry to hear you're dissappointed with your HR738 because I'm really impressed by mine (so far).

I have Sky+ so intend to use it as secondary storage (and burning the occasional DVD) so the lack of Freeview/EPG are not a problem for me.

I was happy to make a purchase after reading Cyclones opinions on the HR733so I picked one up from Comet today for £299 (normally £399) after dithering over different models for months.

Haven't really started looking at the "recorder" features but the picture via HMDI is outstanding on my Hitachi 32LD700. DVDs are great but the difference it makes to my Sky picture was totally unexpected!

Now I've got over that I'm about to try the USB connectivity with some pen drives.

By the way, is it just me or do you notice a bias against Samsung DVD Recorders on these forums?

3. Mafiatone

Mafiatone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Headley,

I was really impressed with the Samsung but as I dont have another digi box I wanted on that did it all. The Samsung was great but I've now switched it for a Sony RDR-HXD860 which does what I need. The only downside is I've lost some of the features of the Samsung but the EPG was high on my priority list.

I bought a Samsung TV yesterday as well and I cannot fault that (apart from the sound). It looks great and the built in Card reader works a treat. Great for viewing pics while guests are around. Even lets you set background music while watching a slidewhow.