Samsung HR733 Timer Record Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pcblues, Jun 16, 2009.

1. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I have a Samsung HR733 that will not pass through the TV signal when I turn it off.
    I create a timed recording, turn off the recorder because the manual says it has to be off otherwise timed recording will not work & when I do I lose the TV signal.
    It is connected to the TV via the HDMI connection, the TV signal is connected via the RF aerial input on the digital box ( I live in the Netherlands) & this is connected to the DVD recorder via a scart connection.
    After reading other comments about this DVD recorder range I feel I have bought a pretty bad recorder.
    I did phone Samsung & they said it MIGHT need a firmware update. So I asked the guy if it was a known problem & he said no.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

John

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Hi John.

NO recorder is capable of pass-through via HDMI [ Feed-through - yes - when powered]

The reason for this is that HDMI is principally a security gate which only operates when the unit is fully powered and booted up.

If you require pass through you would have to use a scart connection from the DVDR to the TV.

This is not a flaw and cannot possibly be corrected by an update.

3. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    its also worth noting that digital boxes and recorders have an rf passthrough to allow you to daisy chain the rf aerial signals through each box and then up to the tv , so that the tv tuner can process the incoming rf signal

so when your recorder is on standby and ready to record , you should use a different box or tuner to allow you to watch tv , this can be a different digital box , or the tuner inside your tv

4. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply Gavtech.

That is, to me anyway, amazing. I thought the HDMI connection offered a better picture so I would use that connection. In order to use the DVDR normally I would have to use the scart connection. To me, normal use is, setup the DVDR to record the programmes, turn it off (cause it has to be turned off in order to work) & then carry on watching TV.
    I really appreciate your answer, I do not know why Samsung could not have told me that instead of saying it needed a firmware update.
    It is nice to know I have not bought a faulty product,

thanks Gavtech.

John

5. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Ramjet,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure I understand the last bit. I only have one digital box & it only has one tuner. I did try using the rf connections but with no luck. I guess you cannot use more than one connection at a time.
    If I have misunderstood what you were trying to say please explain again.

Cheers

John

6. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622

my point is that the recorder cannot be used when it is on standby or when its recording a programme , so you use the tuner INSIDE YOUR TV to watch tv while the recorder is busy or on standby , the same as you would if you didnt have the recorder

an alternative would be to use another box as a source for watching tv instead of the tuner in your tv , so here in the uk we may use a freeview box , or a sky box , or a satellite box , or a cable box , as an alternative to using the recorder , so if you have a digital box as well as the samsung recorder , connect the digital box to the tv as well as the recorder , and select the digital box using your tv remote , and use the digital box remote to select and watch alternative programmes , the same as we do with a freeview box , cable box or satellite box

ie:- your recorder can only do one thing at a time , and to use hdmi it has to be switched on and on the programme you wish to watch , meaning it cannot record one channel while you watch another channel using the recorders own tuners

so the idea is you have a recorder using its internal tuner to record one channel , and you have a tv with an internal tuner to watch a differnt channel , so the recorder is in addition to your tv , not instead of your tv

most dvd recorders that have hdmi do not have an rf modulator to output an rf channel , unlike the older vcr recorders that had rf outputs , scart outputs and sometimes composite outputs

in general , the hdmi pitput from a recorder does not give a better picture than scart as it isnt a HD box , it may offer upscaling of SD images but this is not the same as HD which is what your tv was intended to have input into it

HD pictures require a HD box to be connected , not an SD box

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  7. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Ramjet,

Thanks for replying again,

I used to live in the UK & enjoy Sky+ but over here in the Netherlands they do not seem to have LCDs with intergrated tuners, they charge monthly for free channels.
    This DVDR does have a RF input & output though. The KPN digital box has the same as does the Samsung LCD but I guess the best thing is to use the scart lead anyway.
    I read somewhere that the Samsung LCD upscales the picture anyway.
    Guess I will just keep this for recording off the TV & get a Blueray player, any suggestions?

Thanks again

John

8. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    sony do good blu ray players , or a ps3 will do it

as for your tv channels , just use your digital box to receive your channels in the normal way , and use the recorder for recording

you could use a sky box in the netherlands , or use a freesat box , or any digital satellite tv box and get free channels from 28.2e and 25.5e ( astra2 and eurobird ) , like a technomate for instance ( like I do using a cheap tm1500 ) , no card required !!

although the dvd recorder has rf in and rf out , its usually just a passthrough to that the aerial signals pass through the dvd recorder and on up to the aerial socket in the back of the tv , supplying the tv with an aerial feed , its not usual for the recorder to send out a signal on the rf , only on scart , composite and hdmi

so what you need to do is ensure you get the usual tv signals that you had BEFORE you bought the recorder , and then connect the recorder into the system and ensure you STILL get the same tv signals as before , and also that the recorder gets what it requires too

assuming you are using the recorder to record from the digital box , you need an alternative method of tv viewing , so either a second digital box , or maybe a satellite box with a dish feeding it as I said earlier

note:- this seems to be a few years old judging by this thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-...body-own-samsung-dvd-hr733-735-737-738-a.html from 2.5 years ago !!

but it does state that rgb passthrough worked using scarts

9. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the good advice Ramjet.

I do get all the channels, was just looking for a way to turn to leave the recorder in standby.

I just wish I could get UK Freeview without a dish. They charge every month about 7.50 euros for what is effectively Dutch freeview, that adds up over the years.
    Does the astra2 include a, b, c, & d?

Cheers

John

10. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I would have thought that with a reasonable dish of up to say 1 metre you should get all the astra channels in holland , and bbc1 , bbc2 , itv , ch4 and ch5 are free now , so freesat have them too

there are ppl in france and spain and probably germany who get uk freesat channels , so I dont think you will have a problem in holland

might be worth asking on a satellite forum like satdudez or alsat about it , stating the nearest city or your district etc , and check lyngsat.com or kingofsat.net as they have maps showing the coverage and dish sizes

I would say any cheap satellite receiver would work , even a sky box like a pace or similar

so I would say yes to your question , and its free once you have the box and dish setu up correctly , and its an alternative viewing for you

as for your problem , I would say you need scart from digital box to the recorder , and scart to tv , and this should allow passthrough in standby , but will tie your box up when its being recorded , meaning you havent got an alternative for viewing , but having freesat would fix that problem for you and give you dozens of free to air channels as well as the usual 5 , all the bbc and itv channels , and ch4 , ch5 , news , pop , kids programs etc

its also worth noting that any recorder with hdmi needs to be switched on for the hdmi to work , but some will record no matter if they are on or in standby , whereas yours appears to need to be in standby to record , rgb passthrough using scarts would negate that problem