Samsung home cinema HT-E5500 sound issue

Looney14

Hi all

I have
-samsung smart tv 6 series with sky Q in HDMI port 1
-samsung home cinema HT-E5500 in HDMI port 2 - this is the "arc" port

Lately I’ve had to listen to tv without the blu ray on.
This is because the sound has an issue all of a sudden

It works fine out of all 5 speakers - but randomly the sound cuts out every few seconds

It’s like someone keeps pressing mute then unmute the. Mute etc etc

Any idea what could be wrong?

HDMI cable perhaps needs changing between the blue ray player and the tv?

I’d like to fix as tv speakers alone are rubbish. Like the blue ray for sound as I have 2 speakers behind sofa which helps :)

outoftheknow

I have
-samsung smart tv 6 series with sky Q in HDMI port 1
-samsung home cinema HT-E5500 in HDMI port 2 - this is the "arc" port
May I ask why you don't have the Sky Q plugged into the HT-5500? It has 2 HDMI inputs I think? No point relying on ARC to get the audio to the HT IMHO.

Lately I’ve had to listen to tv without the blu ray on.
This is because the sound has an issue all of a sudden
So listen to the TV as in broadcast TV or apps in the Smarthub - or the Sky Q audio passing through the TV via ARC? Or all of that?
HDMI cable perhaps needs changing between the blue ray player and the tv?
I wouldn't do that just yet - the only bit of the cable you are relying on is the ethernet connections for ARC. Chances of that being the issue is very small. Chances of something going awry in any of the devices with HDMI-CEC is much higher.

First things first I would power the lot off (at the wall) and unplug the Sky Q HDMI from the TV. Power on again and Switch on the TV. Wait a bit then switch on the HT-5500 and see if the TV audio (broadcast TV) comes through. Check the TV settings - I think that only has Anynet+ on or off and that needs to be on to allow ARC to be enabled. similar in the HT-5500 I think. Check the digital out audio settings on the TV too.

If that is working try an app on the TV. Should work too but again check the digital audio out settings on the TV if not.

Now plug in the Sky Q HDMI to the HT-5500. Power it on and ensure the HT-5500 is on the HDMI input. Sound should work flawlessly - this is using the HDMI cable and sockets audio connections the "right" way - not backwards through the ARC stuff.

If the audio via ARC isn't working after this, buy an optical cable and connect from the TV to the HT-5500 with that for audio. Switch off ARC and it is likely the audio from the TV will pass properly. If it doesn't and If you don't mind using the three remotes switch off Anynet+ and CEC on all devices. There will be a loss of some Samsung injected features when playing a BD though. At least trouble-shoot this way if you have to.

I suspect it is more an HDMI handshake issue. Starting with power off and connecting things one at a time should sort it. Whatever you do I would plug the SkyQ into the HT-5500 - the HT will almost without fail pass the video through to the TV. Passing audio from a TV input to the TV ARC output is notoriously problematic - even on these older devices it can suddenly go awry and be just as annoying as the latest models with the latest audio formats.

Finally on the HT-5500 remove any effects you may have added. if there are still issues. Check as each is added/selected (particularly if you use the pseudo 7.1 I think that HT has).

Looney14

thanks i'll give this a go it actually at my parents house

reason it's not connected as you is cos when they turn tv on, they would then also need to change source on the blu ray system. by default its on d.in. its just easier to have sky come on automaticaally soon as turn tv on - hdmi 1.

and turn blu ray to get the enhanced sound.

ALSO cos sometimes they watch HDMI3 apple TV - and again its just easier to have the blu ray support the overall tv sound, as opposted to a specific.

what strange is its a very recent thing. it never used to stutter! but i'll try the re start and revert!

cuke2u

Don't you get lip sync issues though when SkyQ is connected to the tv and listening to the soundbar?

Looney14

First thing I tried was to just power off tv and Bly ray. Didn’t unplug anything Tbf. Seems to have fixed it! Time will tell!

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom