1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HLP5063 Shows Black Bars

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by lynnkcircle, Dec 16, 2004.

1. lynnkcircle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    OK, foolish or not, I just got a Samsung HLP5063 DLP TV and a Samsung HD841 DVD player to match it.

Quality is beautiful -- Connecting the two through their DVI ports at the 1080i setting, I can see the individual strands of hair on people seen about life-sized. Even the plain-vanilla results I get through an antenna are excellent. though nothing approaching the resolution of the DVI connector.

But I have a nagging question. The DVD player is set to Wide Screen. The TV is also set to Wide Screen. Samsung says that "Wide Screen" means 16:9 format. So why are there still top and bottom black bars when viewing either a wide format DVD or receiving a program being broadcast in widescreen?

Even more confusing, why do full screen DVDs and broadcast programs completely fill the screen?

I had expected wide screen formatted DVDs and broadcasts to completely fill the screen, and the old "full screen" 4:3 format to show black bars on each side.

This is a wide screen TV. So why do I get the same black-bar results as I did on my old regular 25" television?

Thanks, all. Happy holidays!