Samsung HDTV + Samsung receiver and Anynet issues/annoyances

Hello Everyone,
Oscahie, I am with you. I been pulling my hair out all morning with this.

I have everything going through my HTD5500 box. So my cablebox and my Home PC go into the Home theater sytem through the HDMI in. Hence, so I can get stereo sound from these devices.
Then I have my ARC cable going direct to my samsung tv.

You would think when you turn of the HTD5500 box everything would turn off. But Hell no. The box turns off and the tv stays on. This is horribly programmed.

Next, ok, I want to turn on my HTD5500 box and have it remember my settings, does it do this? Well, yes it does with the box, but then my TV does not remember it's settings. So I turn on the tv and what happens nothing. I have to press source and choose bd theater. Then what happens I have to go into function and choose hdm1 again. Everytime I want to watch tv. This makes me wonder why even have integration, but I need it for the sound.

As to your issue with the volume, I agree it would be nice to show that, but I am too busy pressing buttons that it is minor for me.

Has anyone found a solution to these problems?

You would think when you turn of the HTD5500 box everything would turn off. But Hell no. The box turns off and the tv stays on. This is horribly programmed.

As explained eight months ago - why on earth would anybody want their telly to switch off, just because they've turned their speaker system off?

You don't need a surround sound speaker system to watch (and listen to) your telly - that's why your telly has speakers - so why would you want the surround system to turn the TV off automatically? You'd just have to turn the telly back on again!!! Most people - pretty much everybody - would get very annoyed with their DVD player if everytime they turned the thing off, it stopped them watching TV.

As explained eight months ago - why on earth would anybody want their telly to switch off, just because they've turned their speaker system off?

I think Oscahie tried to explain it before, but I will state it again.

It is because most people who buy a "home theater system" will want their sound to come out of the theater system, so they can get the best sound possible when they watch Telly, dvd, etc. The thing is the HDT5500 box for me is more of a stereo system than a DVD player. For me the dvd player is a bonus. The point of the theater system, to me is so I can get decent sound coming out from all my inputs, cable tv, pc, and dvd player.

So my question back to you Broadz is?:
Why would you want to have the sound out of your tv speakers when it is on a sub-par quality coming from a very small speaker in a TV?

Anyways, I disagree with you that "Most people - pretty much everbody - would get very annoyed..." I think it is pointed here that there are several "People" who have posted feel this is a problem.

Of course I do see your point as well, that a lot of users of the TV do not want this functionality, so as metioned earlier. Samsung should provide the options, so that it can be handled for all users.

I personally feel that since Samsung has decided to not to do anything about this then I will choose not to buy a samsung home theater product in the future.

It is because most people who buy a "home theater system" will want their sound to come out of the theater system, so they can get the best sound possible when they watch Telly, dvd, etc.

A home theatre system is a DVD player with its own speakers. That's it - in a nutshell. The fact that it might allow you to connect other things to it - and hear these other things through the same speakers - is an extra facility that might, or might not, work. Therefore, I would suggest that nobody would buy a home theatre system to hear anything but their DVD player through said speakers - because if they wanted to hear anything but their DVD player through it, they wouldn't have wasted money on a home theatre system.

They would have bought a real AV amp/receiver, and worked out how to connect all of their external AV equipment to it.

Hello Broadz,

Well you hit the nail right on the head there.... I have owned several A/V stereo systems in the past, jvc, onkyo. After going through them all and being mostly pleased with them. They all function as I would expect the samsung home theater to function.

But, now I have gone through a good period of living without a stereo, due to life circumstances. So, I have come back to buying again and was thinking to myself...Hey, now they have a new concept of "home theater system."
The sound is ok, not the best, of course, but it fits my needs now and I dont have to drop a lot of dough..So I will go for it. Well as I see now as you clearly pointed out, I should have dropped the cash and bought a A/V Stereo system, then I would have got what I wanted...Thanks

I've got exactly the same issue, but with the Samsung HT-D6750W Home Theater package. I can see both sides of the argument to be honest, but am in the camp of wanting the amp and TV to switch on together. That's why I bought the amp after - to maximise the sound quality.

Has this ever been resolved? I've updated both TV and amp and I guess it hasn't been?

Thanks

oscahie . . .

In case you've not discovered this for yourself . . . .

If you would like to see a numeric value for your sound setting, the following method works if you want.

When playing a source through the amp, toggle the mute button on the TV remote. When taking the TV off mute a numerical value is shown in the Anynet+ display/logo. If you use the amp/BD player remote to control both devices make sure it's set for TV operation. If it's in BD mode you won't see anything. Not convenient, but a work around if you want it.

As regards the issue whereby when the TV is taken out of standby and doesn't bring on the amp, I'm in the same came as you. I can see both arguments, but I'd wager the vast majority of people using this forum will be the same. The idea of making a sound system purchase is to maximise sound quality from all sources at all times. As great as these ultra thin screens are, they also give ultra thin sound . . .

Regards

Dumfy

Correct.

Turning on the TV should not automatically turn on things which are connected to it via HDMI CEC (the general term for Samsung Anynet, Sony BraviaSync, Panasonic Vieralink etc etc etc). Turning on the home cinema first will then turn the TV on (because the manufacturer wouldn't expect you to have the home cinema on without also having the TV on) but turning the TV on would not be expected to automatically turn the home cinema on. You are expecting Anynet+ to work in a way it has not been designed to work. Many people want their TV on without wanting their home cinema on also - and it would annoy more people than it would placate if the home cinema did turn on automatically every time you turned the telly on.

If you want both to turn on from one key press, turn the home cinema on. This will turn the TV on. But don't expect turning the telly on to switch the home cinema on - cos this will never happen automatically. But selecting the home cinema source HDMI on the TV will switch it on, if you really can't be bothered pressing the on/off switch of the home cinema yourself.

I've just moved to Samsung from a Panasonic TV/Home Theatre System previous setup, which as you point out uses Panasonic's VieraLink - and that DOES behave as the OP suggests - turning off the TV also turns off the HTS, and turning on the TV turns on the HTS. This is the behaviour I would expect - I've only had my Samsung Smart TV/Smart HTS kit for a few days now and am extremely disappointed that it's starting to look like this isn't supported on the Samsung kit.

A suggestion to Samsung - the HTS is an exceptional Anynet+ device in this context as you MAY indeed (I do) want it to come on automatically when the TV is switched on, without firstly having to select it as the source via the TV - so why not provide an user option in the Settings menu of either the TV or HTS that allows this?

I would have thought so, yes. Can't imagine anybody else wanting the home cinema to turn on each time you turn the telly on.

Completely and utterly incorrect. I DO want this feature - as do probably the very large number of people who buy Home Theatre Systems primarily to extend the audio capabilities of the TV - not as a standalone Blu Ray player which happens to have great sound.

Well, in my case it doesn't even work that way around (I had already tried). When both things are off and I turn the home cinema on using its remote, the TV remains off...

Same here. That information was just plain wrong.

I'm already in touch with Samsung's support service via email and I'll sure give them a call. Probably won't get anything out of it but maybe if many of us complain loud enough... because I'm not alone in this, or am I?

You're definitely not alone mate. Did you have any joy speaking with Samsung? I'm just sorry I'm hitting this forum so long after the original posts.

A home theatre system is a DVD player with its own speakers. That's it - in a nutshell. The fact that it might allow you to connect other things to it - and hear these other things through the same speakers - is an extra facility that might, or might not, work. Therefore, I would suggest that nobody would buy a home theatre system to hear anything but their DVD player through said speakers - because if they wanted to hear anything but their DVD player through it, they wouldn't have wasted money on a home theatre system.

They would have bought a real AV amp/receiver, and worked out how to connect all of their external AV equipment to it.

Ha ha ha - what a plonker.

@ honeyridges, As a new member, I would advise you read the forum rules, as you should have, as indicated when you joined, and as such, DO NOT insult other forum members, in such an childish manner.

Hi there, I am too a long-suffering user of a Samsung (LE32D550) TV along with a Sony HT-thing. I totally agree with the OP and many others, it seems there are many people who want to use the external speakers supplied with a "Home Cinema" or "Home Theatre" kit for all the sound their TV outputs, not just for a DVD or BD, and I think it's a totally valid desire. I consider the item to be a receiver/amplifier with a built in optical disc, not the other way around. I might be wrong in that respect, but I bought it for the speakers not the optical drive.

Unfortunately there really is no way to make the television instruct the receiver to come on automatically. (It will, perversely, turn it off automatically). It would indeed have been very easy for Samsung to implement this, and in fact many Sony and Panasonic televisions do have this option. In a sense we unfortunately "got what we paid for" (making the assumption that everyone elses Sammy TV was indeed cheaper than a "posh" Sony or Panny).

I find the best half-solution is to hit manually hit the HT power on button before I plonk my fat arse down on the sofa. Turning on the tele, the receiver is good to go. The TV also seems to have less trouble recognising it, and the volume control through HDMI works (almost) straight away - I found that turning the HT on afterwards, the TV would sometimes not communicate with it and not connect the volume control system. I do see a "HUD" as you put it (I understood you), and it has a %age volume displayed numerically (no slider). This might be TV model specific.

I'm not sure why Broadz was being so (seemingly intentionally) obtuse in refusing to accept that you had a reasonable claim to be miffed at your television. Some of us don't have several hundred quid to spunk on an Onkyo* and a set of Missions* (unfortunately) and just want something that does the job (or, in this case, not).

But "what a plonker" was a bit out of place lol.

* just for examples sake, not an avocation of any preference.

If your TV is fancy enough you could try and decipher to "samyGo" website as they might have some magical hacked firmware. But the site is so ramshackle and awful, buying a new television (or the "pro" speaker setup) might be preferable ;D

edit: or you could get a Harmony remote control and set it to turn both things on at once (turn off CEC/Anynet+)

Last edited:
I agree with those who want their receiver coming on at the same time as their tv. I have a Sony ht with hdmi pass through and a freeview+ box passing through my amp. The tv turns on the freeview box, but doesn't turn on my amp as its passing through. Most annoying to have to turn on the receiver by going to tools, anynet, receiver, on. But if I turn the receiver on before the tv then the tv plays sound through both its own speakers and the amp making an ever so slight echo. So I can't even use that as a workaround. Still have to go to tools every time.

I agree with those who want their receiver coming on at the same time as their tv. I have a Sony ht with hdmi pass through and a freeview+ box passing through my amp. The tv turns on the freeview box, but doesn't turn on my amp as its passing through. Most annoying to have to turn on the receiver by going to tools, anynet, receiver, on. But if I turn the receiver on before the tv then the tv plays sound through both its own speakers and the amp making an ever so slight echo. So I can't even use that as a workaround. Still have to go to tools every time.

Rather than setting tv to "external speakers", I just put the volume to 0. If I dont turn on the amp, I can still turn up the volume on the tele. If I do turn on the amp, the tele volume stays at 0 and the volume control turns up the amp instead. Laziness ftw!

(Really I did it because my doddering parents-in-law are quite often 'round, and there's just no point trying to explain what to do...)

Rather than setting tv to "external speakers", I just put the volume to 0. If I dont turn on the amp, I can still turn up the volume on the tele. If I do turn on the amp, the tele volume stays at 0 and the volume control turns up the amp instead. Laziness ftw!

(Really I did it because my doddering parents-in-law are quite often 'round, and there's just no point trying to explain what to do...)

Great until you get the question why is the tv silent?? What have you been watching??? :eek:

Think that's gonna have to be my solution for the foreseeable future. People seem to have success with onkyo receivers, so maybe I'm due for an upgrade... Any excuse

Haha, they understand there is a magic box that the young 'uns use to make sound come from all directions. We leave it at that.

The whole hdmi control malarkey seems very 'un-standard', so I guess Onkyo decided that turning on the receiver IS a good idea and put that in their interpretation of it. It probably really annoys a load of Onkyo users, and they're on their forum shouting about the stupidity of it :mad: :D

Haha, they understand there is a magic box that the young 'uns use to make sound come from all directions. We leave it at that.

The whole hdmi control malarkey seems very 'un-standard', so I guess Onkyo decided that turning on the receiver IS a good idea and put that in their interpretation of it. It probably really annoys a load of Onkyo users, and they're on their forum shouting about the stupidity of it :mad: :D

Yeah, probably right there. My 5yr old tosh LCD manages to turn on the receiver so I know it's all samsungs fault. And as long as I can point a finger, I'm happy. Keeps the mrs of my back anyway. "It's not my fault, you wanted a samsung tv!!"

Yeah, probably right there. My 5yr old tosh LCD manages to turn on the receiver so I know it's all samsungs fault. And as long as I can point a finger, I'm happy. Keeps the mrs of my back anyway. "It's not my fault, you wanted a samsung tv!!"

I'm going with "hey well if we buy a new Sony Bravia TV, they will talk to each other properly".
They might not even do so, but hell if it lets me buy a new tele :D

Anyway I'm not sure if I made it clear, but I also have a Sony HT and a Samsung TV. I keep the Sony HT remote lying around. If you press "TV" on the HT remote, the receiver turns on in TV mode. When you turn the TV on it seems to instantly link the 'anynet+' bs, and the volume remote straight away links to the sony. No need for "tools, anynet, receiver on".

Hey, I didn't know this thread was still alive, I'm not getting email notifications for some reason. Anyway, I'm obviously very disappointed as 1 year later there is no fix whatsoever. My workaround, as mentioned before, is to simply leave the HTS turned on 24/7, which is less than ideal, but yeah... what the hell.

For the sake of it I just sent a new complaint email to Samsung, to which I expect no response, but at least I released some frustration that I had just dusted off after re-reading the thread.

@Dumfy I was aware of the "mute/unmute to see the current volume level" trick, but thanks for pointing it out. This is just another annoyance by Samsung that I've learnt to live with...

@honeyridges no luck at all, unfortunately. I just visited this thread thanks to an email notification for a similar thread at cnet (Can a TV use Anynet+ to automatically power on a receiver? - CNET Samsung Forums). It's good to know that I'm not alone on this 'campaign' to make Samsung come to its senses though!

Last edited:
I am another who is frustrated at the stupid shortcomings on the Samsung TVs, I have a d7000 and an AV separates system and now a Logitech harmony remote to try and get round the dumb design and I still cant get it to do what I want which is not unreasonable.. their tech support is just useless as well, I have given up with them..

I can use my logitech to turn on the TV and my AMP and my Sky box, but after 10 seconds of allowing me to watch Sky on the amps cable input, for some stupid reason, the TV forces my AMP to the TV input rather than the Cable one I use for the Sky box (it is the TV as it has happened with the last 2 av receivers I have had of different brands). The only way to suppress this is to turn off the ARC settings and thus Anynet but then when I want to use the Smart Hub or watch freeview ARC is off and doesnt work and thus no sound goes to the amp unless I go through the menus to turn on ARC again.. aaarrgh!

Also everytime I turn my TV off it seems to wipe out the Anynet settings that connect it to the receiever, so even if I do want use the Smart Hub I have to go and turn receiver on again through the menus..

Even the harmony remote cant help here as the menu navi is too hard to programme on the samsung telly.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can solve this short of buying a new telly?

The only way I've found to stop my amp from turning to TV mode is to delete that source in the amp menu.
Like you say not much use if you want to use the smart hub.
It would be nice if Samsung sorted this out!!

If a home theatre system is just a DVD player with its own speakers then how do you watch the video? Do you not need a TV screen or projector in order to watch your DVDs? A home Theatre without a screen is just a HiFi.
If I then need a screen in order to watch my Home Theatre DVDs then surely I would want the speakers to turn off once I had finished viewing the DVD.
I have an Onkyo HTX22HDX Home Theatre System, this doesn't come with a DVD player but will turn off with my TV. It will not turn off when I exit my SkySat or my external DVD player. Is this not the way that a home theatre system should work?
Come on Samsung get with the game!!!

My parents have a new 6100 series Samsung TV which is connected to an HDMI-CEC compliant blue-ray player and speaker system through HDMI-CEC and ARC. Their Samsung TV seems to suffer from this same problem/oversight/design flaw/lack of configuration/misunderstanding of how speakers are used.

I discovered the Tools->Anyconnect+->Receiver->On solution that was posted earlier in this thread and so far, that seems to be the best I can do.

Could someone confirm the following:
(i) It is impossible to have the amplifier and speakers turn-on when the TV turns on.
(ii) Samsung does not have any intention of fixing this problem.
(iii) Connecting to the amplifier with S/PDIF instead of HDMI-CEC and ARC will not fix this problem.

It's too bad Samsung seems so intransigently out of touch with the way their products are actually used. I was thinking of buying this same TV since the picture, case and size are quite good. Now I'm going to keep looking for something that plays well with others.

(iv) I've got to believe that Samsung is the only one who has this issue. Is that true?

It's clear from this discussion that there needs to be an option which satisfies the "I want my tele on/off to control my tele and nothing else thank you" crowd as well as the larger "I'd like my tv based entertainment system to come up to a usable configuration with one button, especially if my tele speakers are marginal". How hard can that be?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom