1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HDTV owners

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by enfo, Sep 23, 2005.

1. enfo

enfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey ive been thinking about getting a sammy LE32R41B ready for when the xbox 360 comes out but being a noob to Hdtvs theres i few things i'd like to know so if anyone could answer any of these questions it would be a big help

1. Read a fair bit about the samsung tv's having a tearing problem when displaying 720p at 60hz is this true and can/will it be fixed or could i just send it back for another ?.

2. Heard that it upscales 50hz to 60hz making normal tv watching horrible is this true ?.

3. How long must the tv be left before burn in sets in ?.

4. Been thinking of getting an up scailing dvd player (Samsung DVDHD950) to go with this tv is there a big image quality difference using one of these players compared to a standard dvd player ?.

5. How good is the image quality of the xbox and gamecube when running on a hdtv ?.

6. Anyone bothered pc gaming on their hdtv im really interested in doing this so was wondering if its any good and is it a problem getting the games to run in widescreen resolutions ?.

Any pics of this tele in action would also be a help Thanks

2. Exception OE

Exception OE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the Xbox make sure you get some component cables and do a splinter cell softmod to enable 480p mode.

3. featherbrain

featherbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Yes, there is a problem and yes, there is a firmware fix. Check the Samsung LE** Tearing thread for info.

2. Er ... no.

3. Burn-in is a plasma problem, this is an LCD.

4. Yes, the player upscales beautifully to 720p or 1080i for the price.

5. No experience here myself, but there are plenty of relevant threads on this forum you can search.

6. The D-Sub/VGA connection on this set is superb, but some prefer a DVI-to-HDMI connection for PC due to the extra picture settings - overscan will need to be corrected with a custom resolution (depends on your graphics/video card). Check the games themselves for supported resolutions.

4. Martos

Martos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I run my PC on a Samsung 26LE41 for gaming at 1360x768 @ 60Hz, and get excellent results. I use a Geforce 6800GT set to output at this resolution.

This res is fine for gaming, but a little harsh for standard PC use (seems a bit flickery, must be the 60Hz refresh), but as the 6800GT has 2 outputs you can still use your standard monitor too.

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    There was a problem, but it has now been fixed. Any new set should already have the firmware updated already applied. (unless it's been sitting in storage for ages, but due to the shortages there has been it's very unlikely)

Nope, 50Hz runs at 50Hz; the banner on news channels etc scrolls very smoothly.

No burn-in with LCDs. Some sets can apparently have temporary "image retention" but I have yet to see this. (and I'm a heavy gamer)

Yes, there is definitely a noticeable difference in quality. I have an Oppo, and the difference is huge in my opinion.

Looks stunning in 480p, fairly good in 480i.

I don't really play PC games, but I tried out HL2 and Doom 3 demos and it was fantastic.

Doom 3 (and all quake engine games) can be set to Widescreen by editing the config file, and HL2 had a menu option for 1360x768.

If the game doesn't run in Widescreen at all, run in 1024x768 and set it to 4:3 to keep 1:1 pixel mapping.

Project Gotham Racing 2 - Xbox, 480p widescreen.
    [​IMG]

Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike - Xbox, 480p 4:3
    [​IMG]

Madagascar HD DivX clip - Powerbook, 1360x768 over VGA
    [​IMG]

6. enfo

enfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for answering peeps and ta for the pics andrewfee they look awsome
    :) will be ordering the tv 2mo juz gotta go out and buy component cables for my consoles and pc now :( h8 payin for cables

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Save your money on xbox - unless its modded you won't get the advantage. You mention Xbox 360, so why not wait for that and use that via component @ 720p. It'll probably run most of the games you have anyway, and might even run Halo2 at 720p

PS2 has limited component-ability, so I wouldn't bother with that, as is the UK gamecube.

Ignore all the above if you have imported consoles.

8. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    at the moment I am stuck on 1024*768 resolution, when I try to change it to 1360*768 it states that the resolution is not compatible? That could be me being thick with setttngs etc.
    I don't have regular net access at the mo, so It is hard to have a good play about to see what the fix is.
    Apart from that the set is awesome. I've tried some "cheap" dvd's through the vga slot and they look good, but the tv set shows up the bad compression, so If you can afford an "upscalling" dvd player, I Think It would be a sound investment.

matt.

9. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    You can "soft-mod" the xbox using the original Splinter Cell and a hacked save to enable 480p on a PAL (European) machine, and it doesn't stop you going online etc.

The PS2 is limited, as is the UK Gamecube (no progressive) but they should look better over component than RGB anyway, as LCDs tend to like component much better, for some reason.

The TV should accept 1360x768 @ 60Hz no problem over VGA. (will only take 1280x720 over DVI/HDMI) It won't take 1366x768 or 50Hz though, if that's what you're trying.

10. enfo

enfo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive noticed quite a few pal xbox games say they can do 480p on the box will i still have to mod my xbox to get progressive on these ?

11. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Yes, you need to enable progressive scan via the softmod to be able to use 480p with a component video cable (the p stands for progressive scan). Unfortunately a PAL Xbox does not support progressive scan so you have to softmod the machine so it outputs NTSC in order to use 480p, 720p and 1080i.