Samsung HDMI aspect ration switching

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by 3rdDegree, Apr 24, 2007.

1. 3rdDegree

3rdDegree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was considering getting SkyHD.

I have a Samsung PS-42S5H. I normally watch everything which is 4:3 in zoom mode (to protect the TV from screen burn) and let it auto-switch to 16:9 for any such content. Of course, all this works now from a Sky+ box via SCART. I was wondering if anyone else has this TV and could confirm if auto-switching or any kind works via HDMI (from SkyHD).

Many thanks

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    HDMI won't switch, hdmi carries widescreen resolutions so doesn't think it needs to.

3. 3rdDegree

3rdDegree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Indeed, you are correct.

But my understanding was some people here have had success setting the resolution on the SkyHD box to "Automatic" (as opposed to 720p or 1080i) and this has worked. Or at least, it has shown black bars at either side of the 4:3 picture.

I guess my main question is: Does this work on the Samsung. Seems that the above working is largely based on how the TV handles the HDMI signal when set to "Automatic" on the SkyHD box.

A secondary question would be: If the above worked, will it ALWAYS switch to 4:3 with black bars at the side, or can it be switched to zoom (to protect the Plasma from screen burn).

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

4. Black Adder

Black Adder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Apparently the work around for this prob is to use component input for non-HD & HDMI for HD programs. Have both cable systems from your HD box to the TV.