Samsung "HDCP-FREE" DVD player connected to a "HDCP-ENABLED" TV set ???. How?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by genoma2, Mar 6, 2005.

1. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is just for my personal (and others) education:

1. I understand that a "HDCP-enabled" DVD player CAN be connected to a "HDCP" TV set.
    2. I understand that a "non HDCP" DVD player CAN be connected to a "non-HDCP" TV set.
    3. I understand that a "HDCP-enabled" DVD player CANNOT be connected to a "non-HDCP" TV set.
    4. But, unfortunately, I don't have any clue about the last possible combination (always referring to DVI or HDMI connections). Explanation follows:

Let's suppose someone has hacked a "HDCP-enabled" DVD player converting it to "HDCP FREE" (probably also to "Region Free" with the same hack) in such a way that he/she is now within case 2 above.

Let's suppose that, for example, he/she has a Samsung DVD player (for instance one of the series HD-745, HD-935, HD-841, HD-945, etc). My questions are:

Q1) Is it still possible to connect the hacked DVD Player to a second TV set which is "HDCP compliant"?. I presume the answer is NO (unfortunately).

Q2) Is it possible to reverse the hack in order to have the DVD player back again to "HDCP enabled"?.

Q3) Finally, if the answer to the 2 previous questions is NO, is it possible to solve the issue with a COLD START (back to factory settings)?. How?.

I posted the same questions some weeks ago lost at the end of another thread but no reply up to date, so I decided to open a new thread. Apologise if this creates any type of problem.

Many thanks.

N.B. I do believe this might be an issue when renovating a TV set (Plasma, LCD, etc). Of course, 2 DVD players, one hacked plus one non-hacked is another possibility. Question of budget, though. But the answer to this technical question still is unclear.

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I need the answer to this too.....

3. David Allum

David Allum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    (Q1) In theory, yes.
    (Q2) & (Q3) Depends on the player and the nature of the hack.

A bit of background:

Think of HDCP as the digital equivalent of Macrovision on an analogue output. The structure of a DVD allows for a "protect" bit to be set on individual video blocks, and when the player sees a protected block it adds the Macrovision spoiler to the analogue output. For a digital output it encodes protected blocks using HDCP. So, strictly speaking the only time HDCP would be used is when a protected block is encountered. Now, many disc producers mark everything on the DVD as protected, but there is no obligation for them to do so.

An extra difficulty with HDCP is that (according to reports in various forums) some player manufacturers generate HDCP all the time and ignore the encoding on the DVD. I haven't seen any similar reports for TVs but there may be those that require HDCP at all times, although that seems less likely as HDMI/DVI is used by more things than just DVD players.

So, yes in theory you can use a non-HDCP player with an HDCP TV, but it really comes down to trying your specific combination (or finding somebody that already has) and seeing what happens.

As for de-hacking your player, I don't know as I don't have a Samsung.

4. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you David for your reply.

Unfortunately, in my humble opinion, Macrovision is not equivalent and cannot be extrapolated with HDCP. The first one is not a "2-way" protocol (only "1-way"). The second one is a "2-way" protocol, i.e. it requires a initial "hand-shake" between sender (DVD Player) and receiver (TV-set) apart from a lot of interchange of information between the two parties (cryptographic keys included).

The problem is to clarify if any receiver (TV set, HDCP enabled) is intelligent enough to switch off the de-encrypter circuitry when it detects that the sender (DVD player) is not HDCP compliant (because the signal being received is not HDCP-encrypted). I am afraid it is not (option not considered in the protocol).

The second problem is, in case the previous cannot be done by the receiver, how to hack-back the DVD player (for instance a Samsung HD-745) in order to activate again the HDCP circuitry (back to its original settings).

Many thanks.