Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Samsung HD950 vs Pioneer 868

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RobbieTT, May 1, 2005.

1. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Samsung HD950/945 vs Pioneer 868

HDMI and upscaling are of prime importance to me, given that the difference in price is obvious, what is the difference in performance between these two products?

2. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Cant really comment on the pioneer but the 945 is def very very good via hdmi, with hd-dvd round the corner id get the sammy and save the extra cash for when hd-dvd comes out. :smashin:

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    HD-DVD might just be round the corner but you have to ask what's going to be the price of the machines when they're released. Then whats the price of the machines going to be when they iron out inevitable bugs in software about 6 - 10 months later. On top of that the number of HD discs will be thin on the ground.

I think an investment in a good machine at this point may not be an unwise move. I can't see me going to an HD upgrade for at least a couple of years myself.

Mind you I've said all that before and then the upgrade bugs sits on my shoulder whispering..."Go on you know you want to..."

Back to the original post... Judging by your sig you already have the 868 so you should alreasdy know what the picture quality is like from it. Differences will more than likely be in the video DACS, audio DACS, iLink capabilities to your AX5 and general build quality.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

4. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone compared the two?

5. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry cant comment on a comparison, only on the 868, a fantastic player that has impressed me :thumbsup: (even 'er indoors has commented on the PQ!) mind you had to send the first one back, had a sticky draw.

Shane

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I didn't think/know the 950 was even out here yet as I was thinking of looking at one after all the talk that's going on about it.