1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HD950 HDMI - Sharp LC32GA4E DVI, but what about sound?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by olly_spalding76, Aug 2, 2005.

1. olly_spalding76

olly_spalding76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This topic goes across a number of different forum areas, but hopefully this is an appropriate place.

I'm quite new to the world of AV technology and a probably simply issue has left me scratching my head...

I recently purchased the Samsung HD950 to take advantage of the Sharp's HDTV capability. The picture is fantastic, but in connecting HDMI on the DVD player to DVI on the TV, it cannot transfer the digital audio signal. Is there any connection/setting on the Sharp that will allow me to combine the DVI connection and an audio signal from a different input channel so that I can continue using the 2 standard Sharp speakers? (DVI is input 5 on the TV) I don't have any sort of AV processing equipment as I'm not that bothered about it right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, would I see any discernible improvement in picture quality if I was to invest in a more expensive HDMI to DVI adaptor cable?

2. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afraid DVI is Video only m8, no sound what so ever... Has you tv got audio in of any sort, sometimes you will find that it has stereo in ( 1 red and 1 white ) rca inputs, they should be marked audio or stereo in, if so then at the back of your dvd player you will see the sam. Just connect them together using standard rca connectors and you will get sound...

As for the more expensive cabling, if your happy with the pic, whats the point?

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    DVI (if you aren't using the analogue bit!) and HDMI are digital connection schemes. If there isn't any obvious jitter on your picture then it is likely that the cable is delivering the video fine - and spending more won't do anything to the picture quality.

Unlike analogue interconnects, as long as a digital connection is good enough to differentiate the 1s and 0s, and the 1s and 0s arrive on-time, then there shouldn't be any visible difference between cabling... (Better cable will work over longer distances where cheaper cable will fail - but for short runs - if it works, it works)

4. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Is there any PC Sound input near the DVI connection? If that's the case maybe a RCA to minijack will do. I have a LG 32LX2R and the manual says that to get sound in your situation (or when using a PC with HDMI out), it's possible to use the pc sound input.

5. olly_spalding76

olly_spalding76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all :) Sorry, but I explained myself badly. amorenod hit the nail on the head...Sharp specify the DVI input as Input 5 for PC, it includes only the DVI terminal and a speaker minijack. Obviously this is perfect if you are connecting a PC, but increasing numbers of people like myself will be using the DVI terminal for HDMI-equipped DVD players. I have no means of connecting audio RCAs to Input 5 and would have to connect them to a different input channel - picture from one input and sound from another? I'm not sure if Sharp figured on that one.

So it appears that taking advantage of DVI from anything other than PC is to the exclusion of TV's sound, unless you purchase a AV processor? Argh!

6. olly_spalding76

olly_spalding76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Samsung doesn't appear to have a compatible PC audio-out minijack.

7. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  8. olly_spalding76

olly_spalding76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point - I'd completely forgotten that adaptor type, I think I even have one in the pile of cables I've accumulated over the years. Thanks :smashin:

I suppose the only downside of this connection is loss of sound quality? I'm not sure if combining 2 RCAs to one minijack has any discernible effect. Either way, that should certainly fix the problem until I decide to invest in an AV processor.

9. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I don't think there's any difference diference in sound quality. I have the Dreamcast connected to DVI+minijack, and I can't notice any loss compared to the previous scart connection.

Glad to be of help

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    There shouldn't be a major quality issue - the main drawback of 3.5mm jacks vs phonos is that 3.5mm jacks are slightly less reliable as connectors, and can become intermittent more easily. This shouldn't be a major issue.

11. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,257
    Glad i found this thread have the same LCD and was just about to order the samsung 950.

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    noticed you have a philips 963, which IMO is a stonking progressive scan player.(I have one too)

Would there be any noticable benefit in scaling in the DVD player rather than letting the screen do it? If the screen has a good scaler, would sticking with progressive component be fine?

13. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,257
    Have only watched one dvd on my philips 963 m8,going to stick it in the classified i think.Not that im unhappy with it just want something else.

14. olly_spalding76

olly_spalding76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. amorenod

amorenod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Perfect!

16. Vern

Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    See similar comments re Samsung 850 to a Hitachi 32LD7200.

Samsung really need to get there act together and ensure their players can output digital sound via both HDMI to the set and Coax/Optical to the amp at the same time. They should also make it clear in the manual that the player does not support two streams of digital audio out. Presumably more expensive players like the Denon 2910 or the impossible to find Panny S97 do support multiple digital audio output.

17. olly_spalding76

olly_spalding76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that it's of use to me right now, but the Samsung 950 does have an optical out connection for an amplifier/processor. Not sure about coaxial.

18. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,645
    Yep, it's got co-ax too.

Now if we can just get rid of the annoying "HDMI audio not supported" whenever you start playing a DVD or swap menus and stuff... :mad:

Not that it's really a major problem, but would be nice if you could switch it off.