1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HD945 - where from?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KableMan, Apr 30, 2005.

1. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    :hiya: I'm looking to buy a Samsung HD945 or HD950 but other than digiuk I can't find either listed anywhere. Also digiuk have the HD950 which I believe isn't available until May - but not sure when in May - I don't think I can wait until the end of May as I want to buy the DVD player before I pick up my new TV (Samsung's SP50L7HX DLP is current front runner). So HDMI output and upscaling are the key features I'm after.

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=4139&c=983749&guid=&s=2

I previously posted and went for the Pannasonic S97 but I had lots of problems ordering it from Panasonic (for £160) - they failed to deliver it four times (and Parcel Force lied that they'd been when they hadn't) and when it did arrive it was in bits! Completely crushed :eek: They then failed to pick up the broken one twice before they refunded my money!! :mad: I'd even bought a multi-region remote from DVDChips too!! So after four weeks I'm back to square one :rolleyes:

I can now I've seen a multi-region Panasonic S97 for £135 from totaldigital:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/857

Don't know much about them though.

So where can I get a Samsung HD945 (just rated budget player of the year by HCC) or the newer HD950 or should I go for an S97 again and apply the various firmware updates? (what are they up to now?). Does the Samsung suffer from macroblocking like the S97 - not heard anything about this.

Cheers
    KableMan

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Most people seem to be sourcing 745's and 945's from Pixmania....PJ

3. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You could try these people for the HD950

http://www.avwow.com/acatalog/HighDefinitionDVD_Players.html

Says stock is due on 11th May. Is that too long to wait ?

I've just ordered mine from DigiUK for £129 inc VAT and del. :D I'm assuming they will get stock around the same time although their website doesn't state this.

Ray :)

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I just bought a Samsung HD945 from Pixmania.

5. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Cheers Guys - thanks for the info :smashin:

Pixmania worries me a little because of the non-UK plugs - are they grey imports?

The 11th of May isn't too long - cheers Ray - my wife reminded me that may is tomorrow - doh!! So i've not got as long as I thought to wait :clap:

Cheers
    KableMan

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Another question - what's the difference between the Samsung 850 and 950? Is it that the 950 has DVI and HDMI and supports DVD-Audio? Is that all? Also is it only available in black? one last question - can you multi-region enable the 850/950 like you could on the 945 - does anyone know?

Thanks
    KableMan

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    No, they are silver. :)

If I were you I'd wait for the 850/950... but perhaps wait until someone confirms the MR hack works, and allows upscaling via component (if that's important), also to confirm no initial gremlins...PJ

8. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think if the goods you get from Pixmania arrive ok and work then everything is fine. If not then you get loads of hassle and poor customer service. I cancelled an order recently because the delivery date kept going backwards. You'd think it would be easy to cancel an order wouldn't you ? Not on Pixmania's site it ain't ! Got credit card refunded eventually though. More peace of mind if you order through a company that has a british despatch/return service.

850/950 - apart from no DVI on 850 I think you'll find that the 850 does not support either DVD-A or SACD whereas the 950 does.

Link here for the 850 spec sheet and here
    for the 950.

I think the 950 looks good in black and is worth the few extra £s.

Ray

9. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Got my 945 from pixmania, PQ is brill via hdmi on the sammy 50. Ive got one wee glitch which samsung said will be fixed via a firmware upgrade. Eng coming out to do it as the latest firmware isnt avail to download yet. Def a player worth buying. One point to mention if watching via hdmi you cannot change the screen ratio although cant see why anyone would want to.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    What's the wee glitch?...PJ

11. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi br14n - when you say you can't change the screen ratio - what ratio is it stuck in? Widescreen (16:9) I presume? If not this is a deal breaker!? This could be a problem on certain older discs which are only available in 4:3 and TV shows like my Seinfeld Series Box Set... Is this a problem with the DVD player or the TV? I guess you can have the DVD connected via component as well as HDMI for these ocasions. How do you find component when connected to the samsung SP50? Is it sharp enough?

Yes as PJ asks - what is the glitch? I wonder if the new firmware is shipped with the HD950?

Cheers
    KableMan

12. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

The wee glitch ive been getting is at the start menu i get a message on screen saying HDMI audio not supported, it goes away when the film starts so its not a big iss. Yes it stays in 16:9 mode so again no probs there, its just the way it works in HDMI im told.
    Component is pretty damn good on the sammy 50 but no where near as good as HDMI and thats with th supplied HDMI lead. I normally leave the upscaling on the dvd off as the sammy 50 already upscales anyway. I believe the 850 and 950 both have the latest firmware.
    Would recommend this player to anyone, i watched armageddon the other day as its one of my oldest discs and the PQ was breathtaking.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Cheers br14n - your feedback is much appreciated - especially as you have the exact same setup that i'm after :thumbsup: so the SP50 + HD945 combination is a great one :smashin: So no problems with sharpness/fine detail as this seems to be the only criticism of the Samsung.

I just read about the HDMI aspect ratio and it sounds as though the ratio is set automatically based on what is needed a bit like with SCART. Except SCART sometimes gets it wrong and its still nice to be able to change it.

I think at £130 you can't go wrong especially as I plan to upgrade again when HD-DVD comes along.

Cheers
    KableMan

14. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Kableman,

I got the 945 for the same reason, i didnt want to shell out loads to have to shell out again on hd-dvd.
    settings im usins are: contrast 82, brightness 44, colour 40, sharpness 55. Havent touched the my colour settings at all. For £130 you cant go wrong on this player. Dont get me wrong there is the odd dvd that is no better than sky but thats down to the dvd not the player. All my mates have been well impressed.
    It'll certainly be getting thrashed over the next few weeks while im in plaster, ive watched about 20 dvds this week and everytime i think ive seen it at its best it just gets better, bit like the sammy 50. :D :D

15. jason_w_warren

jason_w_warren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the new HD850 yesterday. It is a great player and the region hack for the 945 works for multiregion. What a great price (£99.99) from DigiUK.com...great service.

16. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Whats the region hack, havent looked for it yet. Crackin price you got. :smashin:

17. jason_w_warren

jason_w_warren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Region hack as follows:

The region-free hack from the HD-935 does work .... the process is as follows:

1) Turn the player on with no disc inserted.
    2) Press Repeat followed by 57538
    3) A 2 will be shown in the top left of the screen. Press 9 for multi-region
    4) Press the open/close button
    5) Wait 15 seconds and power off

However still get the HDMI Audio not supported issues that have been discussed. Pain in the butt but I have posted to Samsung to ask what the fix is.

18. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have just ordered the new samsung 950 from digi uk to go with my sagem 27" lcd tv as my current jvc xv-na77 dvdplayer doesnt do the tv justice.

19. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Cheers Guys :smashin:

Jason - is the 850 from digiUK the UK model with SCART and a UK plug? So its available now :cool:

Cheers
    KableMan

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Are the settings you are talking about on the 945?
    There don't seem to be any such settings on the 745. I'd particularly like to be able to adjust the sharpness on the 745...PJ

21. jason_w_warren

jason_w_warren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeap the 850 had the Uk plug and a comp lead...no hdmi lead though. As outlined before still get the HDMI Audio issue but waiting for feedback from Samsung. :thumbsup:

22. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    :hiya: I've just re-read the HCC review (they were the mag who rated the HD945 player of the year) and it says that their player suffered from random picture freezing on some DVD's (they gave the example of the Empire Strikes Back) - have you guys experienced anything like this?

I've just bought my TV and so now I need to place the order for the DVD player pretty quickly - and being so close I'm starting to look at every detail and I'm now comparing it to the Panasonic S97 again :rolleyes: ... any thoughts?

Cheers
    KableMan

23. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have watched empire strikes back with no probs, the PQ was brill. They were discussing downloaded videos in same para in mag, might have been a downloaded video. Ive had no pic freezing with any dvds yet. :smashin:

24. venya

venya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have Samsung HD-945 and saw this message many times. It appears becase player (or its software) unable to send compressed adio over HDMI cable.
    So, there are some workarounds for this problem: :lesson:

1. Stop disk playback, go to setup menu -> audio setup -> choose downmix to PCM. The message will disappears, hdmi will output plain stereo. But SPDIF output will be downmixed to stereo too. This is suxx! :( You can use this method if receiver connected to dvd via analog audio connections.

2. Stop disk playback, go to setup menu -> display setup -> switch OFF on-screen messages. This will remove "hdmi audio not supported" messages, but also all other on screen messages will be suppressed (i.e.: "rev", 'play', 'pause', disabled icon, etc.). This is suxx too :mad:

At lease you can choose any of these workarounds to meet your need.

25. venya

venya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any new firmware update for Samsung HD945 player? I have 101504.01 in my player and the are a lot of problems.

To see firmware version press PROG button for 3 seconds.

Anyone knows how to contact Samsung directly to report all bugs to them???

26. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi venya - what bugs have you seen? Sound ominous :rolleyes:

27. venya

venya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Unable to change any setting while disk is playing
    2. Unable to set different PCM/Passthrough mode for HDMI and optical/coacial spdif
    3. Anoying "HDMI audio not supported" message
    4. Unsupported russian language in mp3 tags/divx subtitles
    5. When playing DivX movies it scaled to fill entire screen (without saving aspect ratio). This is only when display size set to "Wide". In 4:3 it letterboxed correctly (but for 4:3) display
    6. Front display ON/OFF setting is not saved on power/off
    7. Show onscreen messages ON/OFF setting is not saved after power off
    8. There are no shuffle/repeat mode supported when playing AudioCD disk
    9. Unable to navigate disk when you playing MP3 file. When you leave current directory - playback stops
    10. Unable to start mp3 playback from remote control while TV is off. You need to navigate through directories and press a lot of buttons to do so. Why should I need to turn on tv when I only whant to listen music???
    11. PAL/NTSC transcoder only have pal and ntsc options. The are no AUTO mode
    12. When HDMI output selected no video on SCART/s-video and RCA outputs
    13. EZ view button does not work (locked) when playing DivX/mpeg4
    14. When you pause any disk playback for more than couple of minutes player stops and then switches itself off. Very annoying, especially when watching mpeg4 where player does not remember last played position
    :suicide: Maybe i forgot something...

28. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Blimey venya - maybe you should become a reviewer for a magazine - this list is pretty in depth ;)

Luckily most of the items you've listed won't bother me:

1. Unable to change any setting while disk is playing - I'm used to this as my current Pioneer can't do this either :)
    2. Unable to set different PCM/Passthrough mode for HDMI and optical/coacial spdif - again this would be new to me - what does this mean and why would I want to do this?
    3. Anoying "HDMI audio not supported" message - as long as it goes off before the movie starts I can live with this until a firmware update becomes available or samsung come round and fix it :)
    4. Unsupported russian language in mp3 tags/divx subtitles - I don't speak russion :)
    5. When playing DivX movies it scaled to fill entire screen (without saving aspect ratio). This is only when display size set to "Wide". In 4:3 it letterboxed correctly (but for 4:3) display - I don't have any DIVX movies - do you download them? Would this effect HDTV content downloaded too?
    6. Front display ON/OFF setting is not saved on power/off - by powe off do you mean stand by or literally switching the power off. I always leave my equipment in stand by so this wouldn't be a problem for me.
    7. Show onscreen messages ON/OFF setting is not saved after power off - as above - if stand by this would be a pain
    8. There are no shuffle/repeat mode supported when playing AudioCD disk - I've never played a music CD on my existing DVD player so not going to upset me
    9. Unable to navigate disk when you playing MP3 file. When you leave current directory - playback stops - Don't have any MP3's - the phenomenum has completely passed me by :eek:
    10. Unable to start mp3 playback from remote control while TV is off. You need to navigate through directories and press a lot of buttons to do so. Why should I need to turn on tv when I only whant to listen music??? - no MP3's :)
    11. PAL/NTSC transcoder only have pal and ntsc options. The are no AUTO mode - this is suprising and will be a pain for me as most of my disc's are region 1 but I do have 20-30 region 2 PAL discs - so I must switch this each time? :(
    12. When HDMI output selected no video on SCART/s-video and RCA outputs - why would you want more than one output at the same time?
    13. EZ view button does not work (locked) when playing DivX/mpeg4 - No DivX/mpeg4's
    14. When you pause any disk playback for more than couple of minutes player stops and then switches itself off. Very annoying, especially when watching mpeg4 where player does not remember last played position - this is potentially a real pain :( - how many minutes?

It's interesting because most of your items would not effect me and so I would never have spotted them. Good feedback for others though - thank you very much venya :thumbsup: Those items that would effect me could be a real pain in the bum!

Cheers
    KableMan

29. venya

venya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To KableMan:
    If some problem not affects you (at this poing) this does not mean it don't need to be fixed! BTW, you need this player if you dont have any DivX and MP3? :) You can go with much simplier player.
    And I will add some additional comments to clarify some items:
    5. Would this effect HDTV content downloaded too? This player DOES NOT support any HD content! It can only upscale standard definition video to 720p/1080i. Zoran chip is only capable to decode mpeg4 at max 720*576. I tried DivX HD trailers (1280*720p) it shows blank screen and no sound.
    6,7. Player forgot settings "Front display on/off" and "Onscreen display on/off" on powers off All setting of this player saved in flash memory, so it doesnt matter if player is powered or not. But THESE settings not stored at all! So it will be resed after player switched to standby. And after real power off too.
    11. PAL/NTSC transcoder only have pal and ntsc options. The are no AUTO mode Transcoder is always ON (either PAL or NTSC), so you have to change this setting manually (and dont forget, you cant change setting while disk is playing) or be prepared to some video distortion. Actually there is not much players exist with auto transcoder, even worst some of them have only PAL transcoder and it always on!
    12. why would you want more than one output at the same time? Just imaging you want to record something to VCR/DVR. Do you have one with hdmi inputs? ;)
    15. Auto switching off after some time of inactivity. this is potentially a real pain - how many minutes? Yes is is PAIN! Becase this period of time is not long. I assume it is 3-5 minutes. I dont understand why this feature ever needed! To save power? player consumes only 14 Watts at max!

Last firmware update for this player was released in October of last year. So i am affraid Samsung is not going to fix something else :( At least if we will not actively ask them!
    Please, lets complain to Samsung together :)

30. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi venya - thanks for the detailed response :smashin:

Yes 5. is my mistake - I got my DIVX HD demo's mixed up with standard DIVX! duh!

6. and 7. are a pain you're right!

11. another pain - I have a £50 DVD player that does this automatically - can't you set it to NTSC, as people have done on the S97, and leave it? People have reported better PQ this way too at 720p

12. I guess this could be annoying.

15. This is dreadful - such a poor feature - my 7 year old player pauses for hours and switches on a screen saver!

To answer you question re: divx and mp3 - I wanted this player or the S97 for HDMI upscaling for my new 50" Samsung TV!! They are both about £130 too. The divx/mp3 is just a bonus that I have no plans to exploit at the moment.

Maybe I'll look again at the Panasonic S97 - unless Samsung have corrected all these issues on the HD950...?

Cheers
    KableMan