Samsung HD945 or Pioneer 575A??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fjorger, Apr 18, 2005.

1. fjorger

fjorger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!

I need some help!

I want to buy a new DVD Player (with DVD Audio and SACD) with a max price of 250 euros! I know it's asking to much

I was thinking of "Samsung HD945" or "Pioneer 575A", in fact I was turning to Samsung ( HDMI ready ), but I'm not sure if it has at least the same picture quality of the Pioneer. Another concern would be the audio quality (I mean CD / SACD / DVD Audio)!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

FJorgeR.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you need or want HDMI then that rules out the Pioneer.

However if you are wanting SACD check out the possible problem with the HD945:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202615&highlight=hd945

In terms of PQ the Pioneer 575A is hard to beat via component. Not seen the Samsung but if you search this forum you can see people's opinions on the PQ of the Samsung versus 575A.

3. fjorger

fjorger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Laser ;)

I will have the SACD issue in mind :rolleyes:

Regarding PQ I will search a bit more!

Regards,

FJorgeR.

4. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Happy with the Samsung (upscales DVI and Component). Prefered it to the Pioneer.

However others rate the Pioneer (see PJTX100 threads). Both are good players.

P.S To save money buy the 745 over the 945 unless you really need HDMI. Or better still wait for the new Samsungs comimg out in May.

5. fjorger

fjorger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot MickyGee,

I think one major drawback (Samsung) is the lack of altered firmware's (example: supporting long file names, available on the Pioneer hack community), you have all names truncated to 8.3, right?

About the new Samsung models, you were talking about the new 950, correct? One doubt remains what are the differences between 945 and the new 950? I can't seem to find any major difference!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

FJorgeR.

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'White' display apparently and choice of colours. Not sure about 850 details they are bit sketchy yet........

See DigiUK website for details.

You are correct about the filename issue, wasn't aware that you could fix the Pio.

7. vasylek27

vasylek27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys! I have already posted the same message on "745" forum but noone seems to be interrested.

I have "tuned" my 745 (the same could be done with 945 as two units do not differ from each other except HDMI). The results are stunning. Believe it or not, but it sounds close to denon 3910 now, maybe better. Remember that opening the cover voids warranty !

The details of tuning are here: http://www.wasylyszyn.abacus.pl/745/
    Sorry for the low quality of "after" photos but I made them with mobile telephone while receiving 745 from the guy who "tuned" it. I forgot to take the camera.

So: pictures show replaced capacitors ( those looking like brown-yellow candies). There were 16 22-microfarad capacitors and 4 100-microfarad capacitors. I decided to use tantal (or tantalum? don't know english term) capacitors. These removed were electrolytic caps which work good in transformes but may lower audio quality in amps/preamps.

You may find it interrestind that denon 3910 uses the same DAC and output stage uses the same cheap electrolyte capacitors as 745! This explains why "tuning" gave so unusual results.

The copper network ( see photos http://www.wasylyszyn.abacus.pl/745/ ) plays role of "Faraday's cage" - shielding electronics from negative influence of electromagnetic field produced by transformer (in fact it covers the transformer). It also removes some heat as transformer radiator is connected to it. The AC cord is alco partially shielded with silver "sleeve".

The cost of part was less than 10 euro, workmanship about 50 euro.

Sound results are outstanding. I have noticed improvement in bass performance and enhancement of stereo basis. CD playback is better than all players I had before: Denon dcd 1510, Luxman (dont remember number), two Sony dvd's: 715 and 725 (the last one considered to be a decent cd player), pioneer 575 and my favourite panasonic s75 (incredibly good as cd player). Playback of sacd/dvd-a is much improved too. In general I would compare the audio performance of tuned 745 to DENON 3910 which I have listened to many times. But Denon plays cold - analytical and 745 plays completely neutral. Yes, not warm, not cold - just neutral. The one thing which I could not fix is the lack of delay time adjustment. Since my surround speakers are placed further than front-center-sub I can hear some phase distortions; sound is somehow "not in focus".

The sub out which I thought is not working works fine, maybe it is a bit too quiet. Fortunately I could make il loder on multichannel input of my pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S.

I am not sure if digital out playback was also improved because (suprisingly) my Pionner's DAC are worse than expected! Some German audio magazine even suggests, that VSX-AX5Ai-S plays better through multichannel than thru I-link, in which it is equipped.

System: Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai-S receiver, sam 745, ELAC CL-102 (front), ELAC CC 101.2 (center), ELAC BS 52 (x4) - (rear), ELAC B-100 (sub), SAMSUNG PS-42V4S plasma panel. For analog connections I have used Van Den Hull First Ultimate / Second cables. Speaker cables: Van Den Hull D 352 Hybrid.

How do you like new "legs" of my 745 ??? ( on the bottom o page: http://www.wasylyszyn.abacus.pl/745/)

Cheers, Tom vasylek@poczta.fm

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    What do you want us to say?

Phwoaaarrr look at the legs on that?! :eek:

...PJ :D

9. fjorger

fjorger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the legs are quite sexy :rotfl:

I don't know if I have the courage to do those changes to my 945 !!

BTW anyone knows how to check the firmware version on the 945?
    Because I'm searching for a new firmware supporting sub's created using "Auto Gordian Knot 2.07" <http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64266>!!

Anyone having problems with *.sub ??

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

FJorgeR.