1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Hd945 Dvd Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paul147, Oct 12, 2004.

1. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,all is this the player we have been waiting for?, :thumbsup: i have just downloaded the manuel for this dvd player,it appears to be an amazing player & loaded with features inc HDMI.
    Is this player available yet? & does anyone have any experience of this player. :thumbsup:

2. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Anyone? I am also very interested in this and also the PANASONIC DVD-S97EBS.

3. venezolano

venezolano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what about his new brother the DVD-HD941? It seems have improved new resolutions in comparision with HD935, and is compatible with SA-CD and DVD-A. Connected to a good A/V receiver, can be a rough enemy for the new Denon 2910.

About HD945... looking for it at samsung's official web site I only found it in Poland!!! Any explanation....

salu2

4. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,venezolano HD941 never heard of that one, my post says HD945,try this site,it is definitely uk,although you may have to download acrobat.
    http://www.samsung.co.uk

5. venezolano

venezolano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, thanks on that. If you try on http://www.samsung.com you'll never find the 945, but the 941. Seems to be the same model, but for different markets. The 941 (american) doesn't have a SCART. Instead of that it gets an in/out anynet phonos.

salu2

P.S. At samsung.es (spain) we still only have the 935 :( :thumbsdow

6. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    www.digi-uk.co.uk have both the HD945 (£159) & HD745 (£110) up on their site

5-6 weeks for the HD945
    6-7 weeks for the HD745 (Dvi only)

7. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told when i phone digi-uk end of Oct, begining of Nov. I phoned samsung first but they didn't have a clue and suggested I contacted digi-uk. :)

8. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know for sure what deinterlacer+scaler, the HD945 is built on?

A quick run around different Samsung Websites give different results, some saying Faroudja while other saying Zoran Vaddis 7.

According to some discussions in a Finnish forum, Samsung had problems with the Faroudja chip in the construction process and therefore swithced to Zoran Vaddis.

Does anyone know for sure if this is the case and even better, what difference it makes on the output. Advantages and disadvantages?

Also, the French site has a pdf which shows that the HD945 only does 60Hz and not 50Hz at 720p over hdmi.

http://www.samsung.fr/_upload_5/EC_DOWNLOAD/0/000/355/134/DVD-HD945.pdf

Anyone know anything more about this?

9. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It pretty normal for only 60hz on 720p.

10. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pixamania site states that the samung hd945 player was available 15/10/04, any one knows if this is the case? and has anyone used this site ?,apparently there is a pick up point is in fulham!.

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Any idea if anywhere is advertising this with multi-region support? Also, does it have a large buffer to avoid layer change problems?

12. Introid

Introid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Introid,thanks for your interest,can you tell me how the player performs and how long have you had the player?.

14. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a toss up now between the 945 and Denon 1910 .... I'll wait until the 945 comes out and read some reviews before I make a final decision.

15. Introid

Introid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

I will say great performances but it's really difficult for me to make any comparative because my actual reference is a LG 3351E which provide me already nice picture qualité on RVB SCART.

For the price, it's a good player providing really good picture on HDMI (or DVI using the DVI-HDMI cable) BUT when the DVD quality is GOOD...

Otherwise, it's useful to use also the YUV output ;-)

The upscaling work well, he's fast, good scrolling, reading everything (DIVX, I've tried that) and also XVID, not tried yet.

But the PROBLEM is, I don't see the interest of the 945 (only for HDMI plasma user), because it's appear after opening both 745 and 945 that they are similar..... :-( No Faroudja in the 945 (Mine), but Zoran chip....

Take a look to the picture, you will see inside them ;-)

Chris

16. Introid

Introid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

I will say great performances but it's really difficult for me to make any comparative because my actual reference is a LG 3351E which provide me already nice picture qualité on RVB SCART.

For the price, it's a good player providing really good picture on HDMI (or DVI using the DVI-HDMI cable) BUT when the DVD quality is GOOD...

Otherwise, it's useful to use also the YUV output ;-)

The upscaling work well, he's fast, good scrolling, reading everything (DIVX, I've tried that) and also XVID, not tried yet.

But the PROBLEM is, I don't see the interest of the 945 (only for HDMI plasma user), because it's appear after opening both 745 and 945 that they are similar..... :-( No Faroudja in the 945 (Mine), but Zoran chip....

Take a look to the picture, you will see inside them ;-)

Chris

17. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Introid,can you tell me if the player is readily avaiable in france(i live next to newhaven,& might make a day of it)?,i have been told that it will not be in the uk for another 4-6 weeks & then there is a great demand for it.
    Paul 147

18. Introid

Introid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes available in France, in the Fnac store, the 745 and 945 ;-)

19. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Introid: does this player upscale over component too? Does it do progressive scan over component?

20. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    all necessary information can be got at samsung.co.uk you can also download the manuel for the 945 there as well

21. busterbee

busterbee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in the Home Cinema magazine hardware review in the April 2004 issue, that with the £180 Samsung HD935, the DVI output at 720p and 1080i is fixed at 60Hz - so that there is highly prominent motion judder.

I've checked out the specifications HD945 and 745 manuals to find out if the same problem persists with these new derivative models but the spec isn't specific in this area.

I think I'll wait for these new models to be reviewed before splashing out on what appears an absolute bargain. With the models on a 5-6 wait at present, it'll have been reviewed by the magazines well in time for Christmas?

22. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual does say in the trouble shooting bit converting the pic to 60hz when upscaling causes motion judder. I've never read about the Denon 1910 suffering from the same problem.

23. at.dvd

at.dvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, is it possible to use a 7,5m (23ft) dvi-dvi cable with the samsung 945? Does it work well?

24. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True !

Page 36 under "TV system" says :-

"If you set up the NTSC TV system HDMI output frame rate is 60hz"
    "If you set up the PAL TV system HDMI ouput frame rate is 50hz"

It then goes on the say "If you use NTSC disk at PAL TV system, motion picture may be distorted" which is fair enough.

That seems fairly unequivocal to me. However, as Phlix says, the Troubleshooting section says that judder may occur if 720p and 1080i are converted from 50hz to 60hz. But not 768p ??

However does this mean converting a 50hz disk to 60hz output causes judder, or does it mean that all HD DVI output is 60hz (something that is not mentioned anywhere else in the manual).

Guess I am going to have to buy one to find out :rolleyes:

25. paul147

paul147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noger,if you are going to buy one i wish you luck,the merchants i have spoken to say they have a large backlog of orders and that they may well be rationed!!!(serious).
    Are those that want to buy one having the same answer as me?,and i wonder who will be the first to get one?.
    Paul 147

26. jrosado

jrosado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi:

Does anyone knows if it's easy to make this player multiregion?

Regards,

J. Rosado