Samsung HD945 boxed HDMI lead anygood?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paulherb, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I have just purchased the Samsung HD945 and was wondering if the boxed HMDI lead is any good, I mean are HMDI leads all the same as they are digital or should I upgrade to a QED lead etc?

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    They never are any good. Even with a digital cable like HDMI or DVI.

The DVi system cable that came bundled with my Plasma TV (to conect the display with the tuner/receiver) was really cheap and gave the TV a bad picture. Yes, even the cables you get with a 2500 pound plasma are cheap.

Usualy they give you the bare minimum to get the system runing. If you want to maximise it, you need better cables.

When I changed that DVi system cable to a more expensive one, i saw an imediate change in quality. Thats from the same TV!
    Artefacts that were there before are now gone and you get a much smoother picture with sharper edges. Colour is also brighter.

Im guessing that it will also make a difference with your DVD player. Just borrow or buy a higher grade cable and do a comparison.
    You will see a difference. If not then just return the cable. After all, if its not doing its job you are within your right to return it. Try cables from Monster or such.

http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/video_cables//HDTV_digital.asp

3. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi AML,
    Thanks for the advice, I am seeing a little ghosting so I think I will upgrade.

Cheers

Paulh.

4. GID

GID
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im using the boxed hdmi - hdmi cable and the picture looks sharp but dull compared to my old pioneer 575, do you thing changing the cable will help ?

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    "I am seeing a little ghosting so I think I will upgrade."

Can you get ghosting with a digital signal, I thought that was only through an analogue lead ? Surely with digital, errors are present as artefacting pixels or a black screen ?

:rolleyes:

6. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Paulfoley,
    Maybe I have used the wrong terminology. I am using my Samsung HD945 to feed my DLP with a 1080i signal.

It's like a ringing around the peoples heads etc I can see.

Cheers

Paulh

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Everyone, As I said in my first post, even a digital cable can be cheap. Ghosting and artefacts can also be a problem with a cheap digital cable.

The best way to decide is to borrow a good cable from somone or somewhere and compare it to the one you are using now.

I alsmost guarantee an improvement in picture quality. (as long as you are using the bundled cable that is)

Make sure you also check see what cable is being used between your displays and your Receivers/tuners. In my case that was the weak link in my system and no matter how nice the DVD player cable was, I wouldnt see an improvement unitll I changed the system cable to a better one.

You dont need to go overboard on cables either. I would say less than 50 quid for a decent DVI or HDMI cable should give you a good enough picture. Over 50 quid will give you minimal returns over a decent under 50 quid cable.

8. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers AML,

I'lll check Bettercables out!

Paulh

9. diddyg

diddyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely give it a go Paul.

I just got a Monster DVI400 to replace the DVI cable that came with a Samsung 935 and can see the difference. Sharper picture with better colours. Worth the extra spend for sure.

D

10. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi diddyg,
    Thanks for the advice, I take it the Monstercable being more exspensive than the bettercables version, is better.

Cheers

Paulh.