Samsung HD870 - wont play DVDRW discs

pob1

Standard Member
Reaction score
HELP!!! Just bouth the above machine. I have an extensive collection of discs burned using DVD Shrink. I tried 2 movies llast night. Both pixelated and "fast forwarded" at different points making the movies unwatchable. Is there a fix for this?? I bought machine from Comet whose spec says the model is NOT DVDRW compatible but I checked other sources on the web all of ehich stated it WAS. HELP as I really like the quality of the upscaled picture.

are the discs dvdr or dvdrw?

i have played dvdr on mine no probs.

hi they are dvdr and for the most part are ok but, i am unable to watch the full movie as parts of it pixelate and go into fast forward so that once the pixilating has stopped the movie has moved on ten mins or so. Any ideas??

this can sometimes happen if the media has been burned too fast or the media is damaged or if the media used crappy dye.

right. so as I am using dvd shrink how can i avoid this? And what do you mean by dye??

try burning the discs slower...what speed writer do you have?

try a different make of disc?

the dye is the layer beneath the underside of a dvdr. the laser heats up certain parts of the track so that its either a positive or a negative, ie: 0 or 1 in digital terms.
If the dye is of a cheaper sort, as you get towards the outer part of a disc (the dvdr burns from the inside outwards) the revolution speed gets faster, so the laser has to work faster and the dye has to be very responsive in the final quarter of the disc.
Some of the cheaper discs will look to have burnt fine but produce a choppy, jumpy playback.

when i have used dvdshrink i usually ticked 'verify' in dvd decrypter when i have burned.....this spits the disc out after it has finished and then takes it in again and checks the disc against the original data.
this takes a bit longer but i have found it relieves the heartache so to speak.

My HD860 plays everything you throw at it. I think the HD870 is a the next model up, so I agree with the above theory that your media's to blame.
Best thing to do is copy on to a different disc using KYUSS_UK's advice & see if that sorts it.

thanks for all your input guys!!!! I have amended DVD Shrink target disc size to 4200MB due to using cheaper media, have reduced burn speed to 2X, and have started re-copying my discs using NO adhesive labels. Hey presto, played my first disc last night and it played like a dream. I really cannot thank you enough for helping me here. As I watch discs now, I will just re-copy using the new system until my library is renewed. I had thought I would have to return the samsung and am delighted it is now fixed. Thank for all your time.

Im happy to use discs you recommend; can you advise a good (cheap!) supplier?

SVP communications stock them. Amazon stock them I think and PC world usually have them in store.

thanks for that; can I ask which discs you use??

ok now this may be a stupid question but I have always used DVD+R - why DVD-R?? Are these better? Are they still compatible with dvd player?

Has anyone tried extracting a VCD or KVCD where it is a .dat file. Usually called AVSEQ.DAT, onto a DVD as a data disc? My previous DivX player played these no problem, even when mixed with other formats of .avi/.mpg files but this one doesn't? It doesn't even show up in the list as I don't think it recognises the .dat file extension.

Has anyone tried extracting a VCD or KVCD where it is a .dat file. Usually called AVSEQ.DAT, onto a DVD as a data disc? My previous DivX player played these no problem, even when mixed with other formats of .avi/.mpg files but this one doesn't? It doesn't even show up in the list as I don't think it recognises the .dat file extension.

i don't think this player even supports .mp4 does it?

Thanks for that. I'm trying to figure out wheater to buy this baby today since my two day old Panasonic S53 is giving me the woes.

Anyone tried playing DVD-RAM on it?

ok now this may be a stupid question but I have always used DVD+R - why DVD-R?? Are these better? Are they still compatible with dvd player?

I dunno, I always used DVD-R as I thought it was more compatible with players.Most of the people I know seem to favour DVD-R as well.

Originally Posted by pob1

I dunno, I always used DVD-R as I thought it was more compatible with players.Most of the people I know seem to favour DVD-R as well.

DVD+R is a slightly later format than DVD-R. With the latter being around a lot longer way back when there was a DVD writable format war looming. It didnt turn out too bad as companies churned out cheap multi format DVD writers do it didnt really matter which you bought. From what I know DVD+R is the slightly better format more compatible with most DVD players. People may tend to go for DVD-R as they are cheaper generally.

:( Saying this now I have a problem. All the DVD's I burnt whether DVD-R or DVD+R dont work in the HD870 !!! I cant believe it. The player seems to stumble loading the menu then freeze. I have to turn the player off at the wall socket. It plays shop bought ones fine.

Our wedding video doesnt play either. It cant be the media it must be the HD870 is funny about what types of media it plays. I had a Pioneer DV360 and it played everything I threw at it. So discs that played on the Pioneer wont play on the HD870.

Beginning to think I bought the wrong player. I am using Traxdata media too.

Just wondering whether it is the firmware as I put the old firmware on to enable the remote hack. I might put the new firmware on and try them again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom