sAMSUNG HD850/HD950

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ibme_uk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ibme_uk

ibme_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a 26" acer lcd with a native resolution of 1280*768. Is there any way of getting the Samsung Player to output at this resolution?

If I'm correct and I can this should give me the best picture quality via the HDMI.. I.e no up/down scaling on the LCD and no DAC on the DVD player..?

2. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have an 850 and am very pleased with it.

The available HDMI resolutions according to the Instructions are:

720 x 576
    1280 x 720
    1024 x 768
    1920 x 1080

I am currently using component to my projector but will use HDMI when my 5m cable arrives this week.

One thing I am not too happy about (issue with all Samsungs apparently) is that they don't auto switch between NTSC and PAL. This means if you multi-region it and watch Region 1 discs then you have to manually switch using the setup menu. Not the end of the world but a bit of a pain if you watch a lot of region 1 discs.

If you just rent or buy discs in the UK, Region 2, then you set the player to PAL initially then just forget about it.

Hope this helps.

3. ibme_uk

ibme_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dmjohnson123,

Thanks for the info, don't look like its going to do it, i've decided to invest in a new gfx and sound card for the pc and use that for some HD stuff..

At lunch time i went to comet who has the HD850 hoping they might hook it up so i could have a play about.. (stupid me) .. they had no idea what they were on about.. they tried to tell me that it was a HD-DVD player and that they had no discs to demo it with!!..

Then when i explained what it does and that it is not a HD-DVD they said they did not have the cables to hook it up!.. even though they are with the player.. at that point i decided to leave..

They kept telling me that the picture would be the same as the HD tv's that they were demo'ing on the shop floor (aparantly all running from a HD-DVD player out the back, even though they were clearly running from PC's and a high end video splitter box.)

Went to curry's and asked in there if they had any dvd players with hdmi interfaces and was told they were hoping to get 8 models in by xmas but had none at the moment, they he went on to tell me that they have no HD-DVD players.. I think he missed the point and i left!

I feel a few people are going to be miss sold dvd players that although have the hdmi port are not HD-DVD players!.. hope they keep there receipts!

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    these players are not HD they just upscale. Whether the player does it or you LCD does doesn't really matter as long as you get there in the best quality.

1290 x 768 is a common but non standard resolution, scaling WILL be needed no matter what you do

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    use the search engine and you will find several long posts on this by me recently.