Samsung HD850 - Can someone give me some info please?

shand754

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Samsung HD850 DVD player which I would get hacked to multi-region.

Most of my DVDs are USA Region 1 NTSC, on my current player I manually have to switch the TV mode between PAL and NTSC for US discs to get the best picture quality.

I was wondering how this works with the Samsung? I will be hooking it up to a Panasonic PV500 plasma by HDMI - will the player automatically pick up and output a NTSC signal for my US DVDs or is there something I need to change manually through the disc menus.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice :smashin:

Got one last week, hacked to multi region via remote, works perfectly on all regions which the player picks up automatically. :clap:

Okay but does it automatically ouput an NTSC signal when you play a NTSC disc or do you have to manually switch via a menu?

Also what do you think of the player? Are you using the HDMI lead that came with it if so is it okay?

Thanks mate.

You have to manually switch between PAL and NTSC output :( .

I have an 850 and the picture through HDMI to my Sanyo Z3 projector is nothing short of sublime :smashin: .

If I don't switch to NTSC when playing a region 1 disc I get jerk-o-rama vision which is basically unwatchable.

This is a pain but due to how happy I am with the picture quality I have decided to put up with this manual switching.

Cheers mate, so is this done through a menu?

Not a huge problem for me as 95% of my DVDs are US NTSC so I will just leave in NTSC.

Oh and are you using the HDMI lead that comes with the player if not can you recommend one?

Thanks

shand754 said:
Oh and are you using the HDMI lead that comes with the player if not can you recommend one?

Thanks

I've tried the lead and its fine. A bit too short for my requirements though :mad:

Jon, its done through the Menu - too much to ask for Samsung to have dedicated a little button on the remote :thumbsdow Great player still. :thumbsup:

[
I'd also like to know how you switch between PAL and NTSC. Is it via a menu or a button on the remote?

Jon
Not just the NTSC/ PAL thing.. I got the 950 (very similar in operation)
everything pertaining to changing output options is done thru the menu. Very easy to get used to though as long as you have stopped the dvd playing first.
I like the player :thumbsup: only the extra bright indicator panel is :eek:!!!

senu said:
[

I like the player :thumbsup: only the extra bright indicator panel is :eek:!!!

rich sps said:
That bright panel on the 950 is SSSOOOOOOO annoying. Bad design on a great player.

Can we clear something up here? I've read quite a few comments about the 950's panel being too bright (like the tosh sd350). So is the brightness of the display panel on the hd950 different (greater) than the brightness level on the hd850 model?

Im not sure what the 850s panel brightness level is in a home setting having only seen it in Currys upscaling a Demo DVD to a Phillips 32pf9986 LCD to good effect . In the store it looked unremarkable.
The 950's Panel brightness reminds me of those xenon lights that come with the more upmarket cars : Starkingly bright white :thumbsdow almost enough to light up a dark room :mad: which infact is how you would want to watch your movies.
To be fair, it can be turned off in the menu but that setting is not permanent and only lasts till you turn off the player.
Im also told you can cover it with insulating tape!.

Senu, I've got the HD850 in a home setting and the display draws no attention to itself whatsoever i.e. nowhere near as bright as how you've described the HD950. In my opinion the 850 is perfectly lit and very suitable for darkened room where the attention should remain on the display and not the source.

For the interest of anyone who wants to know the difference between them:

The HD950 has:

a brighter led display light on front panel
available in black only (at present)
support 6 channel analogue out (SACD and DVD-A)
costs around £40 more than the HD850

They are the same machine in all other ways.

ive purchased the 950 from futurehome. How long is the HDMI cable they supply with the box?

I need it to be atleast say 50cm?

If anyone would be kind enough to post a piccy say of the player so I could have a look at this bright bezel I would most appreciate it :)

Y

yannic said:
ive purchased the 950 from futurehome. How long is the HDMI cable they supply with the box?

If anyone would be kind enough to post a piccy say of the player so I could have a look at this bright bezel I would most appreciate it :)

Y

it's roughly the same size as a standard phono cable, i'm not sure if it's as long as 50cm, more like 30-40cm. you can get a 1m or 2m from maplins for about £20, or move your dvd player closer. mine is firmly tucked away at the back, so ackward to get to. you can call samsungs helpline and they will tell you

the display is very bright, but you can turn it off, you do this with the remote, altho you need to do this each time you turn the player on, it doesn't "remember" to keep it off

The HD-950. Great if you have dropped your remote!

Attachments

• bright display.jpg
    bright display.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 96
rich sps said:
The HD-950. Great if you have dropped your remote!

damn that is bright :(

Things like this really do spoil what would be a great product. I guess I will have to get used to constantly adjusting it.

yannic said:

Y

I got mine from Richer sounds and the HDMI-HDMI lead is about 1M. About the sane as the free HDMI-DVI lead.
If that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom