1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HD745 DVD Player and Sharp LCD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jimg, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There are some almighty long threads on this player and I am sure I read somewhere of peoples experiences with a Sharp LCD and the DVI interface. There was something about issues with getting it to be full screen, I think?
    Is any one using this combo who can tell me how well it works?
    Cheers
    Jimg
    :lease:

2. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No issues with full screen on full screen presentations in component or AV digital. Normal 16:9 fine too.

On pixel by pixel in PC digital can't get full screen as Samsung doesn't support 1366x768. However the Sharp 'Full' option scales the Samsungs 1024x768 output nicely with a very clean and natural image.

All Sharp options available to alter aspect ratios in AV digital and Component. No extra borders or probs on the twenty or so movies watched so far !

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Micky,
    What does the Samsung output on upscaled 768? I would have thought this was the obviuos choice for the Sharp?
    What have you settled on?
    Cheers
    JimG

4. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately for some reason Sharp doesn't seem to support 768p in Component or AV Digital. Just displays it as 576p or 480p (PAL or NTSC).

However in PC Digital it is fine !

Check out some other HD745 threads (search for my name) for other peoples similar experiences with Sharps.

I think the player is great value for money comparable with £200 DVI scalers. Plus it scales in component.

I use 1080i in component (no artifacts and does a great job on older movies, full range of blacks) and 768p in PC Digital (natural tones and colour balance - nice ). Little to choose really.

Interestingly the blacker than black issue is difficult to spot on DVI, maybe cos blacks aren't an LCD strength ?