Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT or Hyundai Q321 for my first telly??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by skervan, Aug 17, 2006.

1. skervan

skervan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I have just moved into a new house (built it myself) in the border area in Ireland. Just got hooked up with an aerial and the aerial bloke tells me I have an A1 signal and should also be able to pick up Freeview from Northern Ireland.

I need to get a TV sorted soon. Based on what I have read here and my limited bit of fact-finding in TV shops, I have two possible alternatives the Hyundai Q321 or Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT.

The Hyundai Q321 is available from Xtravision for €999. I like the look of it but it seems to have got fairly mixed reviews here. I am worried that the picture quality for 'normal' TV will not be as good as the old tube telly and also that the price of these LCD's will drop sharply soon (like most people I hate paying over the odds for anything!!). Also the after sales may not be great since I will be buying it from what is essentially a video rental shop!!

As for the Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT, I have never seen one of these (local shop had a few but were sold out- possible a good sign). Should be able to buy one for around €850. Again this seems to have got mixed reviews (buzzing noises and geometry(??) problems).

I am leaning more towards the Samsung since it may have a better picture and is also cheaper but I also like the look of the Hyundai...?

I posted this thread in the LCD forum and got some very negative comment on the Samsung with only positives on the Hyundai. I know duplicating posts is a no-no but I wonder should I have posted here to get some more opinions from people who have seen/ purchased both?

Any help ye can give me would be appreciated!!

2. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Get the LCD - the Slimfit TV really isn't all that much cop in my view.

I looked at one showing a HD signal in currys and the LCDs just looked so much better.

Only being armed with the budget of a poor person I decided to get a projector to get a bigger screen. - Perhaps this is an area you should look into.

3. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    I would go for the Hyundai personnaly it's great for both Hd and TV, i do have to say that the TV feed i saw was digital so not 100% sure about th analog feed and didn't see any issues or problems with it on any connections, I have seen the Samsung also it had great picture quality but like some have said in threads it did have geometry issues but if you were lucky to get a good one that would be a great option also, it's just taking the risk that there wont be any geometry problems.

4. gixxerman

gixxerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Opinions are like **s**oles, we've all got one! :rotfl:

I get a lot of pleasure out of my Samsung '419d.

It's great at SD and the HD is superb. Stunning even.

The best suggestion I can make is go and see one yourself (and try and get the shop to hook it up with a DVD and input some stuff you know well) and see what you think yourself, you're the one who'll have to live with your choice.

BTW I'd offer that advice for whatever type of tv you end up going to look at.