Samsung HD - New EPG

I've had a new Samsung since it was replaced for the recalled (and much loved) Pace about 2 or 3 months ago.

I had a real barney with Sky to get a new model rather than a refurb.

Anyway, I can point the remote in any direction even 180 degrees away from the box and it still works fine - this was important to me as we have a one-for-all IR sender in the corner of the room so we can operate Sky from upstairs.

Model No: 0.7.070
Version No: 973007

I've had a new Samsung since it was replaced for the recalled (and much loved) Pace about 2 or 3 months ago.

I had a real barney with Sky to get a new model rather than a refurb.

Anyway, I can point the remote in any direction even 180 degrees away from the box and it still works fine - this was important to me as we have a one-for-all IR sender in the corner of the room so we can operate Sky from upstairs.

Model No: 0.7.070
Version No: 973007

Just interested to know what type of tv you use in the room, crt, lcd, plasma???

People suggest a lcd causes the issues??

I had a Sky Plus on my Plasma and the remote was shockingly unresponsive (As it was when on my Rear Projection) Since getting my samsung HD box its able to work from anywhere in the room and i can now change channel again in the other room in the kitchen (Used to work on my old sky non plus box)

i wish sky would give us some indication on when im getting new epg, i had sky hd since feb this year, we have had sky for years but im still classed as a new customer as was in wifes name, my first box was an amstrad but had the contrast issue so got it replaced with a brand new samsung box, (much better btw)

i have heard that sky issue out new epg to older/longer customers first, then the more recent customers get new epg at a later date, this cant be right, surely its based on software version you have and/or your postcode, something like an update shouldn't matter how long you have been a customer, we all pay for it!! im pretty sure sky told me once that when they send updates they send update to postcode and not a specific customer address, so for example sky could send out the update to my postcode and anyone with a samsung branded hd box within my postcode would get the update, from my understanding the update is done via dish and not phoneline, i know the postcode thing sounds stupid but sky did tell me this, the querie at the time wasn't for the new epg but just updating default region menu (bb1 london, bbc south east etc..)

I have had no black envelope advising me of an update being anytime soon, i also got an e-mail from sky telling me they are sending out new viewing cards to replace old ones, that was two weeks ago and still nothing, i dont have a real issue with sky but they could be more specific to customers on what boxes and roughly when they will get the new epg, to be honest the new menu would be nice but long as i can watch and record TV i have no issues, to be honest i dont think even sky know when certain boxes are getting new epg.

Last edited:
i wish sky would give us some indication on when im getting new epg, i had sky hd since feb this year, we have had sky for years but im still classed as a new customer as was in wifes name, my first box was an amstrad but had the contrast issue so got it replaced with a brand new samsung box, (much better btw)

i have heard that sky issue out new epg to older/longer customers first, then the more recent customers get new epg at a later date, this cant be right, surely its based on software version you have and/or your postcode, something like an update shouldn't matter how long you have been a customer, we all pay for it!! im pretty sure sky told me once that when they send updates they send update to postcode and not a specific customer address, so for example sky could send out the update to my postcode and anyone with a samsung branded hd box within my postcode would get the update, from my understanding the update is done via dish and not phoneline, i know the postcode thing sounds stupid but sky did tell me this, the querie at the time wasn't for the new epg but just updating default region menu (bb1 london, bbc south east etc..)

I have had no black envelope advising me of an update being anytime soon, i also got an e-mail from sky telling me they are sending out new viewing cards to replace old ones, that was two weeks ago and still nothing, i dont have a real issue with sky but they could be more specific to customers on what boxes and roughly when they will get the new epg, to be honest the new menu would be nice but long as i can watch and record TV i have no issues, to be honest i dont think even sky know when certain boxes are getting new epg.

You're mistaken. It doesn't matter how long you've been with Sky or where do you live. Sky is updating HD boxes by their make. Thomson boxes were done first followed by Pace. Samsung are believed to be next in line to get the update.

Tbh it's just a new look of the EPG. Doesn't matter when it arrives. Only thing matter is how Samsung boxes handle this new EPG. It's been reported on this forum many times that this version is full of bugs. When it might have solved some old problems, it also brought some new ones too. Just go through some Thomson/Pace new EPG threads and you may not be willing to receive this update before it's fixed.

We will all receive this update sooner or later.

I read elsewhere that Samsung owners are now reporting they are receiving the postal mailshot, so one would assume that next week would see some action on this front ...

where did you read this ?

yeah i found some info on digital spy, some samsung owners are starting to get mail from sky confirming new epg on its way soon, some say next week samsung owners will be getting update, lets hope so

I got new viewing cards today (Samsung HD Box).

I presume this has nothing to do with the new EPG?

I got new viewing cards today (Samsung HD Box).

I presume this has nothing to do with the new EPG?

Hi

The new white viewing cards have nothing to do with the new EPG. I had HD installed on Saturday and got a Samsung box, I have the new viewing card but still old EPG.

Baz

I now have a Samsung box with the old EPG and what a breath of fresh air, No bugs easy and straight forward to use.

Definatley do not want the new EPG until they fix the bugs and issues. I was a bit dissappointed that the Samsung box looks the same as the Thompson box i thought it might be a bit more pleasing on the eye.

The new cards have no connection with the new EPG.

We got the on screen messages a week last Thursday on both the Pace HD box WITH the new EPG and Samsung HD multiroom box still on the old one.

Both cards arrived 36 hours later and were paired immediately.

The Samsung is still on the old EPG and will no doubt be so until the early hours of next Tuesday or Thursday which seem the most likely dates to get it.

I now have a Samsung box with the old EPG and what a breath of fresh air, No bugs easy and straight forward to use.

Definatley do not want the new EPG until they fix the bugs and issues. I was a bit dissappointed that the Samsung box looks the same as the Thompson box i thought it might be a bit more pleasing on the eye.

Incase you dont know, all sky HD boxes look the same, samsung, pace, amstrad and thompson all look the same but are made by different manufacturers, some perform better than others, samsung and pace are the best boxes around. :)

The boxes all look the same and have Sky on them rather than the manufacturers name because Sky do not want the customers to think there are any differences.

They seem unhappy with the idea of customers ordering specific brands and want a Sky box to be a Sky box and thats that.

90% of viewers have probably got no idea that there is anything but a single Sky HD box make.

And Sky argue they all work the same and are effectively the same in constriuction so it does not really matter what you get.

As we know that is not the full reality as every type has its pros and cons.

The boxes all look the same and have Sky on them rather than the manufacturers name because Sky do not want the customers to think there are any differences.

They seem unhappy with the idea of customers ordering specific brands and want a Sky box to be a Sky box and thats that.

90% of viewers have probably got no idea that there is anything but a single Sky HD box make.

And Sky argue they all work the same and are effectively the same in constriuction so it does not really matter what you get.

As we know that is not the full reality as every type has its pros and cons.

Samsung has "Manufactured by Samsung" engraved no the top end of the box.

Last edited:
All boxes have the manufacturers name on the top rear of the box :thumbsup:

You would be surprised how many people think the boxes are Sky boxes and have no idea they are built by someone else.

The make is not obvious from the boxes they come in (it is on there but you have to look for it) and on normal use from the front and above our 3 year old Thomson and our brand new Pace are identical and only look different round the back....apart from the Thomson having Sky HD on the front and the Pace Sky + HD that is.

Just looking at our two month old Samsung and again from the front and above there is nothing written on it that I can see other than Sky + HD. Samsung is written as you say but well out of sight on the rear where it is missed by most people in day to day use. It looks absolutely identical to the Pace and the Thomson otherwise.

Got to say I'm a Samsung owner, that after many many problems at first and a hell of a lot of moaning and complaining and , 5 boxes in less than 10 days, I now have a "perfect" version, very little problems, just a touch of lip sync cured very easily by a channel change every now and then.

what I will say, I'm really looking forward to the new Epg, and I'm here to actually check up on the situation regarding the update.
What I will say reading some of the thread about it, sounds like its got its problems, so maybe not as excited now as I was.

Just a question I have, has anybody actually got the update without receiving the postal flyer??.
And has anybody got the update after ringing sky at all?? or is it purely automatic.

Just to add, the cricket England v's Pakistan on at the minute, is cracking quality,.

Last edited:
my samsung has been perfect for 6 months, first one was replaced but this one has been faultless! the best box i have had so far, any news on the dates of the epg? i heard this tuesday or thursday?

my samsung has been perfect for 6 months, first one was replaced but this one has been faultless! the best box i have had so far, any news on the dates of the epg? i heard this tuesday or thursday?

Or Monday / Wednesday / Friday /Saturday / Sunday :D

Is there any correlation between getting a new viewing card and having EPG update? I have has the sammy for about 3 months now, not 1 single issue or problem.

So was the speculation unfounded? Did anyone receive the leaflet/new EPG this week?

I think Sky were just waiting until every decent football match on ITV HD had been shown...just to p*** me off.

Couldn't give 2 s**** about getting the new EPG now there is nothing decent to watch on ITV HD :mad:

In fact based on the negative comments I am hoping I don't get it anytime soon! :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom