Samsung HD - New EPG

Im actually excited for the new EPG as it has some nice new features that should be good. hopefully it will please but time will tell

model 0.7.070
Version 973007

Oh and I have not even had my MYSKY updated from HD on order to been in for over a month.....!!!

Just got a brand new Samsung box today after my Pace was replaced due to the recall. Only last night at 9pm I got the new EPG on my pace only to have my box switched 12 hours later!!!

Anyways, the engineer said to me this morning that I should expect the new EPG in no time at all because I just received it on my pace :confused:
I phoned customer services later in the afternoon due to another issue (explained later!) and I asked her when I should receive the new EPG. At first she told me that Pace boxes dont have the EPG, but then I told her I had it, then she told me it was distributed this week but yet she has no idea when Samsung boxes are due the update :confused:

A bit off topic, but at least it will get the attention of some Samsung owners! How does your box respond to the remote? Mine is absolutely useless on both the Sky remote and my Harmony 1000, often needing several presses before it does what I want! The engineer that was round this morning said that samsung boxes dont respond to remotes that well if your TV has a backlight????? The woman at Sky CS told me that the problem is likely because I have my box plugged in via my amp????? What I have figured is that the longer my box is on, the better it responds to the remote. What is everyone else's experiences?

Hi Guys,

The very first thing I noticed about sky hd when I got it installed was the remote was nowhere near as good as my old bog standard sky setup. Its nothing major but it definately takes a notceable "time" to respond to the remote whereas my old sky setup was instantaneous nearly. It is nowhere near as bad as some peopole have reported on their setups tho. My box is on a small stand one level below a sony bravia lcd and is perfectly useable apart from that small issue.

Looking forward to the new HD EPG aside from the sound from the mini tv thing. There really should be an option to turn the mini tv OFF (and I mean OFF completely, not just no picture). I like going into the guide to get away from everything TV/Advert wise and chill w the epg music :(

Just got a brand new Samsung box today after my Pace was replaced due to the recall. Only last night at 9pm I got the new EPG on my pace only to have my box switched 12 hours later!!!

Anyways, the engineer said to me this morning that I should expect the new EPG in no time at all because I just received it on my pace :confused:
I phoned customer services later in the afternoon due to another issue (explained later!) and I asked her when I should receive the new EPG. At first she told me that Pace boxes dont have the EPG, but then I told her I had it, then she told me it was distributed this week but yet she has no idea when Samsung boxes are due the update :confused:

A bit off topic, but at least it will get the attention of some Samsung owners! How does your box respond to the remote? Mine is absolutely useless on both the Sky remote and my Harmony 1000, often needing several presses before it does what I want! The engineer that was round this morning said that samsung boxes dont respond to remotes that well if your TV has a backlight????? The woman at Sky CS told me that the problem is likely because I have my box plugged in via my amp????? What I have figured is that the longer my box is on, the better it responds to the remote. What is everyone else's experiences?

Common problem with the samsungs, a fix is to get a SKY EYE, or TVLINK attached to the RF2 port (Remember to switch the power on the RF2). This fixes the issue.

Common problem with the samsungs, a fix is to get a SKY EYE, or TVLINK attached to the RF2 port (Remember to switch the power on the RF2). This fixes the issue.

I was having some wierd things along this line, then figured out it was the energy saving bulbs in the main light, that points towards the box, I think the light frequencies in the bulb must be touching onto the IR spectrum

.......... How does your box respond to the remote? Mine is absolutely useless.......
........ Sky CS told me that the problem is likely because I have my box plugged in via my amp?????

My remote works fine with my Samsung (2 months old)
It's connected in two ways: Directly to a CRT TV and by the HDMI to Amp > Media box > Plasma.

The box is quite a way from my seating position too.
I do have problems with my DVD Recorder though, which requires much stretching of the arm and jabbing of the buttons.

Had same problems with my Sammy Box and the remote control not being responsive:boring:
So bought a "sky magic eye" for a £5:smashin:, connected it to the RF2 output, and hey presto, it's brilliant.Best fiver i've ever spent:clap::clap::clap:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Is the FA Cup final on any other HD channel? I dont have the new EPG yet and i bet ITV make a hash of it anyway!:D

Hi

I've just had mt Sky HD installed :D Had the choice of boxes, Amstrad, Pace (not the recalled ones) and Samsung. I chose a Samsung. Hope I made the right choice? The model version is 0.7.060 and the version number is 973007 and the EPG software version is 5.10.j HD. How can I do a forced update?

Baz

Hi

I've just had mt Sky HD installed :D Had the choice of boxes, Amstrad, Pace (not the recalled ones) and Samsung. I chose a Samsung. Hope I made the right choice? The model version is 0.7.060 and the version number is 973007 and the EPG software version is 5.10.j HD. How can I do a forced update?

Baz

i also have a samsung box baz got it installed last week and it was the same model and software version as yourself!

turn off your box at the main socket, then turn it back on whilst holding back up on the HD box, takes up to a minute, then you'll see the four LED's light up and stay on, on the front of the box!

a message will come up on screen, that its updating and will take ten mins!

that brought mines up to 0.7.070 and 5.10.k HD

i also have a samsung box baz got it installed last week and it was the same model and software version as yourself!

turn off your box at the main socket, then turn it back on whilst holding back up on the HD box, takes up to a minute, then you'll see the four LED's light up and stay on, on the front of the box!

a message will come up on screen, that its updating and will take ten mins!

that brought mines up to 0.7.070 and 5.10.k HD

Hi Mark

Thanks for that, I've updated both mine and my parents box:smashin: Hopefully will get the new EPG soon, fingers crossed.

Baz

had my box (samsung) since february it has been on this version since day one.

Is the FA Cup final on any other HD channel? I dont have the new EPG yet and i bet ITV make a hash of it anyway!:D

No picure quality was spot on. :smashin:

The remote response issue on the Samsung has zilch to do with being connected to an amp....whoever told you that at Sky was guessing and guessing wrongly.

It is to do with leakage of light from the TV as all workarounds (there are several in threads on here) address that.

For us the easiest one that worked enough not to try anything else. That was to move the Samsung to the bottom shelf in the stack and so a foot or so further away from the TV. Made a big difference.

And we have no amp connected, which is why I know that suggestion is wrong. We have had two new Samsungs and both have had this remote problem.

It is to do with leakage of light from the TV as all workarounds (there are several in threads on here) address that.

Thanks for the explanation. The engineer told me the same thing and I thought he was speaking out of his rear wondering how the hell it would have any impact on the remote commands! Have ordered a magic eye from flea bay as I cant move my box at all.

2 days ago i was faced with installing new system software, please do not switch off at the mains should take 10 minutes etc...

Thought i was getting new EPG and it turned out it was a simple update others have mentioned on these forums here.

Must be in preperation for the new EPG!!

Hi

When the Samsungs get the new EPG, will it upgrade even if the box is in standby?

Baz

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom