Samsung HD - New EPG

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

I've just had my (failing) 15 month old Thomson box replaced FOC (after much whingeing and moaning) with a brand new Samsung box, so I've gone back from the new EPG to the old version.

I must say I prefer the new EPG, and can't wait for it to roll-out onto my Samsung.

Beardy101

no letter, no card, no rush (not since the footy season finished anyway, not much else worth watching on itv in HD)
Ps only had sky HD since Feb.
(not even had a sky mag, or paper bill in that time either come to mention it)

o0 Deuce 0o

Banned
totally agree,i had the new EPG for 3 months on my thomson box and the only good thing about it is ITV HD,the EPG itself sucks(only my opinion),bought a brand new sammy box and im so happy ive got the old EPG for a little while longer lol.

Is everyone looking forward to this new epg or something? Why would anyone look forward to a bug riddled piece of software that doesn't seem to work properly? I have seen and played with it on a friends and it's not something that I really would like to be honest. Actually, it's crap. No-one I know actually likes it. And that goes for alot of people on here too. So please refrain from getting excited about when you think you are going to receive a letter telling you when you are going to get it. You will only be dissapointed.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Is everyone looking forward to this new epg or something? Why would anyone look forward to a bug riddled piece of software that doesn't seem to work properly? I have seen and played with it on a friends and it's not something that I really would like to be honest. Actually, it's crap. No-one I know actually likes it. And that goes for alot of people on here too. So please refrain from getting excited about when you think you are going to receive a letter telling you when you are going to get it. You will only be dissapointed.
Hmmm . . What an . . . errr, interesting post :rolleyes:

I had it for around 2 months on my previous box and, after some initial reservations, really grew to love it.
The many advantages and increased flexibilty far outweigh the few niggles - IMHO.

spile

I've now downgraded from the new EPG back to the old one.

Some observations:

Were the lockups/failed recordings/crashes on my 3 year old Thomson box actually due to the new EPG rather than the hardware itself?

Is the reason for the new Samsung box being so quiet due to the fact that it uses the old EPG?

Do i miss the new EPG?
The way that it handles series link most defintely.
The sexy graphics - nice but not really essential.
Mini TV or more channels on the listing? - It was nice to see more channels so I may turn off the mini TV when I'm upgraded again.

Funny how you get used to navigating the new EPG though. Particularly miss the ability to get straight to the planner by hitting the play button.

IL Cattivo

I got sky hd installed yesterday, samsung box but still old EPG
Yeah, your new installation box won't come shipped with the new EPG on on it... it's still pushed out to it by SKY over a period of time, how that proces is structured is still not that clear to the consumer... Although it does sound like it's deffo being done at a manufacturer level, how each customers new EPG is being distributed to them within that pool of make/model is somewhat clear as mud!

:boring:

AnilS

I got sky hd installed yesterday, samsung box but still old EPG
Mine was installed today but it still has the old EPG too. I was told that Sky send it via the dish and it'll appear one day (soon) as if by magic!

Maxtoon

Novice Member
I think the EPG roll out has been suspended until they have a fully stable version.

your better off with the old EPG anyway .. the new one is too slow and unstable at the moment .. i'm back with the old EPG again since my Pace box packed in and i'm just so much happier with it ..

:smashin:

martytarty

Novice Member
I think the EPG roll out has been suspended until they have a fully stable version.

your better off with the old EPG anyway .. the new one is too slow and unstable at the moment .. i'm back with the old EPG again since my Pace box packed in and i'm just so much happier with it ..

Where did you get this information from ?

if this is true then im annoyed at sky telling customers hd customers that epg will be installed by late spring, spring is over, its now summer, and nothing, sky cant give any dates!! now sky have suspended roll out!! you would think sky would get it right before starting any of the roll outs, surly the new epg would have been tried and tested properly and get rid of any bugs with the system, nevermind, its just a case of waiting, but hopefully when us samsung owners get the epg it will be a much improved new epg compared to thomson and pace owners who must have a buggy and slow new epg, its best to look at this a blessing in disguise (assuming maxtoons comment is true)

simon194

Can't say I've found the new software particularly unstable.

My Thomson box hasn't crashed or had a single failed recording since the new EPG was installed. OK it's a bit slow but it's much more reliable now than it was when it had the old EPG.

My Pace box not quite so stable but again it hasn't had any failed recordings with the new EPG although it's had a couple of blue screen episodes when trying to play back a recording from a specific time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom