Samsung HD box & telephone problems

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jumborat, Jun 9, 2009.

1. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I recently purchased a Samsung box to replace a old multiroom Sky+box upstairs. Everything was fine with it until today when I noticed the "connect a telephone line" message after a planner rebuild (force of habit with my Thomson box!)

I checked the upstairs phone and there was no ringtone so I unplugged the splitter and connected the phone directly to the extension and it worked, I then connected the HD box directly and got the "telephone line not connected" message. I went to check the downstairs Thomson box and telephone and they weren't working. Unplug the Samsung and everything is fine.

Basically, when the Samsung is connected to the telephone line nothing works. Can anyone help?

2. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Have you tried another lead from the Samsung box just to rule out a dodgy phone lead?

If you still get the same problem then it's probably a problem with the modem in the box. Not a lot can be done if it is the modem except replace the box.

3. scarey

scarey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i have the same problem jamborat, moved my box and had to unplug the phone line and when i plugged it back in i had that message..now this was 3 months ago and since then i have had no problems...unless you need to order films via the phone line , leave it alone and forget about it...

4. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I did try another lead and it was the same so it looks like the modem.

scarey, my box has been moved about a bit just lately as I've been connecting up the old Sky+ box to finish watching the recordings on there. It sounds like the modems may be easily damaged.

I wouldn't be too bothered as I never use the interactive or box office but as I have multiroom knowing my luck Sky will check the boxes are connected!

5. DJRousey

DJRousey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    may sound funny but have you checked that the phone line lead is plugged into the phone line socket on the box? as i had the exact same symptoms as you but noticed when sky installed it they had put the phone lead into the ethernet connection. put it into the phone line socket and as if by magic it was all fine :clap:

thought id share just incase it helps :rotfl:

:smashin:

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    and sky wanted to recall the Pace boxes??? when there are dodgy samsungs out there!!! (sorry, just trying to cause a tech version of moral panic...lol)

as per previous post to mine, might be worth double checking the socket its in just to be sure, also if you are using broadband, make sure you got a microfilter on there. It can make a difference.

7. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm glad you did share because thats exactly what I'd done.:oops:

I can't believe I didn't notice it when checking the all the connections yesterday. I must have plugged another telephone lead into the ethernet socket again when checking it wasn't just a faulty lead.:rotfl:

It's working fine now. Maybe the modems aren't quite as fragile as I first thought!

Thanks again to all who've helped.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  8. DJRousey

DJRousey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :rotfl::rotfl:

Glad to hear it wasnt anything major anyways. strange tho how when you do that it completely throws out the phones tho :rolleyes: