1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HD-935 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gibinho, Jan 29, 2004.

1. gibinho

gibinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My samsung 935 player is connected to a Z2 PJ via DVI. The problem with player is that when in widescreen the picture seems to be shifted to the right. There is about a 3-4 inch gap from between the left side of the PJ picture and the DVD picture. The problem lessens when switching to 4:3, the gap reduces to a about an inch. Ive tried switching the DVI output between mode A and B with no effect.

Gamecube and Xbox , both connected by component though, are fine. Any ideas?????

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Same on mine via DVI to my HS10, really noticed it when watching the THX trailer / logo etc, I don't seem to notice it when watching a film

3. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The HD935 is supposed to supply HDCP output, which in theory means that displaying the output on a non HDCP compliant device could introduce artifacts.

Do the Z2 of the HS10 have HDCP compatible DVI inputs?

But I guess its not impossible that the player is outputing bunk and its just that the Sharp PJ I'm running through manages to fix it.

Might try it on my plasma later to see if it messes up in the way various folks are describing...

John.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Z2 is certainly HDCP.

Also, I was under the impression the HDCP spec. only mandates HDCP to be used on PROTECTED high-definition media (hence the term HD), playing an SD DVD shouldn't require HDCP as far as I can see. :confused:

5. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    By default the HD935 sticks out 720p HDCP, you need to press a button on the front of it change the mode, this will give you one of 1080i, 800x600 or 480p (depending on PAL vs NTSC disc), the later two of which are definitely not HDCP. Gibinho and Common I'm assuming you tried changing this?

There's quite a few people reporting this so there's a good chance its the player...

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Is there a handset hack to make this player multi-region?

7. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Yep, don't have it to hand. Just search the WEB for "Samsung DVD-HD935 region hack" and you'll find it. I think its the same as one of there earlier player, something like S221 or something.

John.

8. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Bah, can't try it on the DVI input of my plasma as i don't have a DVI interface card fitted. Soo canny help noo more.

9. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    If its the same as other Sammy players then to MR it.

Press repeat followed by 57538, Number2 should appear on screen when it does just press 9 and that should be multiregion.

Please note i hold no responsibility if this knackers your player !!

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes its as carlos describes, found it here

11. gibinho

gibinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a bit of investigating last night and I think Ive found the cause of the problem. The player did work fine until I did the multi region hack.
    Ive now realised that the screen shift problem only occurs with PAL DVD's, NTSC ones are ok.
    Im still lost as far as a solution goes though!!

12. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Strange, I'm pretty certain I'm not seeing this on either PAL, or NTSC discs, and I've supplied the same hack. Odd.

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    HDCP is for hardware not software so applies to all software played over this connection. copy protected or not. it also then dosent matter if its 480p or 720p or 1080i these are all under the HDCP connection. so the protection applies

i think whats happening is the dvi out of the 935 is using none standard timings or resolution thus shifting the image.

like on a computer if u enter different resolutions u have to adjust the pic to fit.(same with refresh rate)

many dvd players that have dvi have similar problems. some dont display a pic(or display garbage) and to fix it needs to be done via firware to adjust the res/refresh to sync properly

i think on the D1 there was a manual override to enter your own timing but dont know about the samsung