Samsung hd-935 dvd player - anywhere it is in stock?

A

am1001aa

I've read on the avsforums that the hd931 (which looks a lot like the HD935 for sale in the Uk) does not scale properly 4:3 material when using 720p.

Has anyone who has a Samsung HD935 experienced problems with 720p scaled 4:3 material looking incorrect?

It's important for me as I have lots of classic movies in my collection which are 4:3.

I'm planning on using this dvd player with my ordered Panasonic AE500 projector.

also, anywhere where the player is actually in stock?

The first site, Unbeatable, have no stock.
The second does not sell this product.

PRC certainly have it listed, here. Dunno about stock though.

Yes that link got it.
Price is given as £179-95.
Think normal shop price is £180

Hmm, Panther don't seem to be listing it. Maybe they have a stock issue.

They have supplied plenty to people on here, so if you haven't tried them, why not give them a call/email.

Cheers
Marc

My HD935 arrived today from pantheronline ~ £142 delivered.
The regionfree hack worked fine, now to try it out with my Panny AE500. :D
Cheers,

I also have ae500 and was considering this, but LOTS (a majority) of reviews in usa and over here complain of SEVERE judder with this player with pal discs. Turned me right off. Think I'll wait now. I advise you to demo before you buy because judder for me would be much more unlivable than the improvent of pq c.f. component........(imho) ;)

Agreed Gaffer, but I have a 150 odd U.S. DVDs in my collection and a HTPC to use for PAL discs if the judder is unwatchable.
Cheers.

...good point :D

Guys

Sorry to hijack, but just to let you know I have advertised my 2 week old Yamakawa 365DivX in the classifieds forum.

Cheeky!

However having owned two Sasmung 935s I can vouch that this is a much better DVD player.

For a start it does 720p at 50hz and doesn't have stupid bright blue lights that are always on even when it is off. And don't get me started on the 935 remote. What idiot thought it was a good idea to have fast forward and next chapter on the same button??

Having said all that. In general the 935 does give a great picture, the PAL judder on the PJs I used it on wasn't bad at all, and it is cheap and easy to get in the UK.

Cheers
Marc

Originally posted by homeagain
My HD935 arrived today from pantheronline ~ £142 delivered.
The regionfree hack worked fine, now to try it out with my Panny AE500. :D
Cheers,

Hi homeagain,

Where did you find the hack? I have looked on the AVFORUMS hack database but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance!

A quick forum search for 935 and hack would have given you this:

1. Turn on the player.
2. Press PLAY and STOP on the player. Keep the two buttons pressed until the language selection is displayed, then release them.
3. Select language.
4. Press REPEAT.
5. Enter 57538. The region code will be displayed.
6. Press 9.
7. Press OPEN.
8. Press STANDBY.

If that doesn't work, repeat the process but in step 5 press 38767

Cheers
Marc

Originally posted by rimibar
Hi homeagain,

Where did you find the hack? I have looked on the AVFORUMS hack database but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance!

Home Cinema Choice in its April reviews says.

1, Disableing HDCP. Open tray and press the front panel DVI button.
2. Region free hack (RCE discs supported).
With disc tray empty but closed, press 'repeat' on the remote handset followed by 57538. The current region will be displayed on screen. Press '9' for region free playback.

Davids link to the Home Cinema Choice review hacks were my source ~ and they work fine !
Cheers.

Do you ever have one of those weeks? I ordered the Samsung, and then sent it back this morning because of the HDCP encryption. My Optoma H50 does not accept HDCP encoded signals.

Can you definitely switch it off so that it will work with my projector?

I tried an LPX500 that does no accept HDCP and found that it would still take the 720p signal from the Samsung.

That was without trying any HDCP hacks.

Cheers
Marc

All I got when I tried was fuzz! Will try the hack this week and see whether it makes a difference!

Richard :thumbsup:

Further to previous post, I have now received and tested HD935. HDCP encryption can indeed be turned off (thanks!), but I have some further queries which I am hoping you might be able to help me with. They are as follows:

1. Every time I switch player off/standby, it forgets that I switched off HDCP encryption - is it possible to make it remember permanently?

2. When watching a DVD in DVI mode, I occasionally get a horizontal "line" moving down the screen - most annoying when the picture is otherwise so good. I believe this may be related to upsampling a 50hz source to 60hz. Is there anyway I can stop this happening?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Richard, I noticed the horizontal line once during Matrix Reloaded with the 935 converting a PAL disc to 60hz. It doesn't always happen, however you could switch the DVI output to 576P, red LED I think, and keep the output at 50hz. My Panny 500 does a good job of scaling PAL discs, so it's hard to tell the difference between 720P@60hz and 576P@50hz to be honest.
As far as the HDCP disable, I don't need to worry as the Panny is HDCP compliant.
Cheers, Rob.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom