1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung HD-745

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by BarryK, Jan 15, 2005.

1. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    Could somebody please confirm that the above player can have the HDCP disabled and made multi-region by a handset hack, as I am considering buying it to use the DVI connection to my non-HDCP compliant projector.
    Thanking You
    Barry

2. jucame

jucame
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Handset hack posible, HDCP disabled don´t know sorry.

3. gipo

gipo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the region hack:

1. Turn on player with no disc in the tray. "No disk" appears on screen.
    2. Press the "Repeat" key on the remote.
    3. Press "57538" on the remote. A number should appear on screen, indicating your player's current region (e.g. "2").
    4. Press the number for your required region (e.g. "1") or "9" for region-free/all-regions. The number will appear on screen, replacing the previous number (from step 3).
    5. Press "Open/Close Tray" and leave the tray open for a few seconds.
    6. Press "Power On/Off". The tray closes automatically and the player turns off. Next time you turn it on, it is region free (or whatever Region you selected in step 4).

You can now fully enjoy your player

The hack described also removes the HDCP encryption. I can now connect my DVD player HDMI port to the DVI interface on my plasma NEC XM2 that do not support HDCP.
    :clap:

4. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gipo,
    Is the DVI port on the NEC XM2 designed to just support PC input, i.e. 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz, 800 x 600 @ 60Hz and so on....?
    Or does it support true 576p, 720p and 1080i...
    What setting do you have the screen at for the DVI input and what setting (resolution) do you have the Samsung at for the DVI output?
    Thinking about getting one of these and pairing it up with my plasma which only support computer resolutions on the DVI in port....
    cheers

5. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the hack above reversible?. I assume that once you hack a Samsung HD-745 (or HD-935, HD-945 etc) it becomes Region free and HDCP is disabled as well. Connection to a non-HDCP compliant TV set should work fine.

Later on, in case you try to connect the DVD player to another TV set, but in this case fully HDCP-compliant, through the DVI input it will not work because the new TV set will de-encrypt a "non-encrypted" signal from the player with the result of a non-understandable image.

Hacking back the DVD player to its original Region code will not solve the issue. The DVD player will become Region 1 (or 2 for Europe) but most probably HDCP will remain disabled.

Am I wrong?. Any "cold start" method for Samsung HD-745 (or 935, 945, etc)?. Any other solution?.

Thanks

6. FyreFlux

FyreFlux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here is what i did to make my Samsung HD-841 HDCP Free

power up dvd
    no disk inserted
    push "angle" (no forbidden sign displayed)
    push "4" (no number sign displayed)
    push "3"
    push "2"
    push "7"
    "HDCP Free" displayed on screen

...i was looking for the region free code but i ended up with this. not even sure what it actually does.

however, the 57538 code for region free does not seem to work for me.

7. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot "FyreFlux"!.

Apparently the hack with 57538 works fine for both "Region Free" and "HDCP Free" at the same time (at least in a HD-745). Also your hack with 4327 apparently disconnects HDCP but the DVD player remains with the original Region code (=1 in USA, 2 in Europe, etc).

The message "HDCP FREE" displayed on the screen with your hack seems to be a very good improvement. Congratulations!. Presumably this message does not show up with the 57538 hack (nobody has reported on this, yet).

I know that once the DVD becomes "HDCP FREE" (with or without "Region Free") it can be connected to a "Non-HDCP TV-set", this is for sure, BUT.....in any of the two hacks, my questions are:

Q1) Is it still possible to connect a hacked DVD Player to another TV set which is "HDCP compliant"?. I presume the answer is NO (unfortunately).

Q2) In that case, is it possible to reverse the hack in order to have the DVD player again as "HDCP ON"?.

Q3) Finally, if the answer to the 2 previous questions is NO, is it possible to solve the issue with a COLD START (back to factory settings)?. How?.

These questions are applicable for any Samsung HD-??? Series (HD-745, HD-945, HD-935, etc)

Thanks again.

8. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify that all my questions here are only for my personal understanding/comprehension on these new technologies. I do not have any Samsung nor any HDCP compliant equipment, at least for the time being, so all my posts here should be considered "presumptions".

In a nutshell, I cannot answer any question (even via e-mail) based on my personal experiences since I do not have any at all.

Thanks.

9. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the Samsung HD-745 delivery Wednesay. I really want to apply the Region hack but not the HDCP Free hack as I have a Sharp LCD wich is HDCP compliant.

Will these hacks make dvd playback impossible on this screen? Or is there a Region hack on it's own I should run?

:lease:

10. daniporto

daniporto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi does anyone knows a region free hack for this DVD Player ?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Non HDCP signals do work on HDCP displays, you have no problems

12. tallrussian

tallrussian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't imagive who on Earth would _want_ to have a player that requires HDCP? If you can avoid HDCP (or disable it) on your video source, do it by all means! The way it works is as follows:

1. If both the player and the display support HDCP:
    1.1. The player sends a signal over the DVI/HDMI cable that says, "I have a disc, but it's protected, so I can only play it if you (the display) support HDCP".
    1.2. The display replies, "Yes, I support HDCP, here is my public security key"
    1.3. The player says, "OK, then I will play. Here is my public key that you will need to use in addition to your secret key to decript what I will be sending".
    1.4. The display says, "Got it, I'm ready, start sending the encrypted stream".
    1.5. The video is transmitted encrypted between the player and the display.

2. If the player does NOT support HDCP (or has HDCP disabled) and the display supports HDCP:
    2.1. The player says, "I have a disc. It's protected. However, I am allowed to play it on any interface, so I will be sending the signal in the unencrypted form".
    2.2. The display says, "OK".
    2.3. The video is transmitted unencrypted between the player and the display.

I, personally, would NEVER want to buy a _player_ that has HDCP, if I had a choice.

Having a display that supports HDCP is fine, though. That simply means that you will be able to display both the encrypted and unencrypted content.

But if you have a _player_ with HDCP, that means that the player will enforce encryption, and you will not be able to transmit the content in an unencrypted form if encryption was enforced by the movie studio (for example, if the DVD disc is protected by CSS).

The player without HDCP will still be able to play the disc, it will simply send the data in an unencrypted form over the DVI/HDMI cable to your display.

Now tell me again, why do you want your player to have HDCP?

The important thing is that DVI and/or HDMI signal interfaces have NOTHING to do with HDCP, regardless of what the movie studios want you to think. HDCP adds NOTHING to the quality of the signal, except enforcing content protection.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bang on. I run a Panasonic plasma (DVI-HDCP)connected to an Iscan HD+. The display does not care if the signal carries HDCP from a DVD player, or is a scaled digital signal from RGB scart. Just to prove it works in practice

14. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Reply to "MAW":

I think that your ISCAN HD+ is an additional device in between your DVD Player and your Plasma. As both the ISCAN and the Plasma are HDCP compliant then you don't have any problem with any DVD Player, but ..... this is not the normal case, though. The normal case we are trying to figure out is a DVD player (non-HDCP) connected directly to a TV set (HDCP-Compliant) through DVI/HDMI, without any adapter in between.

Please note the following statement from a HDCP definition:

"If one of your devices is HDCP compliant, but the other is not, then you cannot connect them using DVI or HDMI - you will get an error . However, you can still use the analog signal from the source device (eg: component video signal, S-video signal). HDCP does not apply to analog signals".

This has been literally copied from the web page of your "ISCAN HD+" (which is not a DVD Player but a High Resolution Video Scaling Engine).

http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishd_hdcp.html#hdcp

In any case I appreciate very much your opinions on this issue. Would be possible for you to connect your DVD Player to the Plasma directly, without ISCAN HD+ in between?. Thanks again.

2) Reply to "tallrussian":

Thank you so much for your very interesting post and for the way you explain yourself (easy to be understood by non-experts).

Nonetheless I still have a few more comments on subject:

• Unfortunately all DVD Players with DVI/HDMI connector are HDCP-compliant, probably with the sole exception of Bravo D1, an old model surely out of the market or available only in the US. Therefore there is no option when looking for a DVD player with DVI/HDMI. There are only a few available and all HDCP-Compliant (as far as I know, of course).

• Referring to bullet 2 in your message above, when the DVD Player is "ORIGINALLY from factory not HDCP-Compliant" it does NOT know anything about HDCP protocol, so it cannot say anything (like your bullet 2.1) to a TV set (HDCP-compliant or not), i.e. it will start to play and send the signal immediatly. If the TV set is "HDCP-compliant", most probably it will not accept the signal. If the TV set is "NOT HDCP compliant" it will accept the signal without any doubt.

• By the way, I think the disc is not by itself HDCP protected/encoded but, on the contrary, the information is afterward protected/encoded with HDCP when is passed through the HDCP circuitry. Am I wrong?.

• Finally, the most important point: Referring again to your bullet 2.1, if the DVD player was "ORIGINALLY from factory HDCP-compliant" but has been hacked to HDCP FREE (as for instance a Samsung HD-745) then we have two possibilities:

Alternative 1: The hack has totally disabled the HDCP circuitry: Then the DVD Player is from now on equivalent to the previous case, i.e. "ORIGINALLY from factory non-HDCP compliant". Moral: Only non-HDCP TV sets would accept and understand the signal.

Alternative 2: The hack has NOT disabled the HDCP circuitry completely but has reprogrammed it in the way you perfectly explain in your bullet 2.1, i.e.: "I understand HDCP but I am allowed (please don't ask why) to send the signal without encoding it first, so I will be sending the signal in the unencrypted form. Please reproduce it and don't say anything against this order".

In this case and only in this case, I would understand that a hacked DVD player (for instance a Samsung HD-745, or HD-945) is able to be connected to a HDCP compliant TV set via DVI/HDMI.

Who knows which one is the real case alternative?. I do not know yet.
    Well, apologize for my long post. We are close to a final answer but still some doubts are flying around.

Thank you all.

N.B. If someone is able to inform how to hack back and forward a DVD player (let's suppose again a Samsung HD-745) as many times as required (HDCP-ON, HDCP-OFF, HDCP-ON, etc) as it happens with the hack for Region Free code, then we wouldn't need to worry about any more, right?. This is still unresolved, I am afraid.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Genoma, the iscan works with non-hdcp screens like Pioneer MXE's etc. Soory you are quite and categorically wrong, as I have clearly stated now 3 times, you DO NOT NEED YOUR SOURCE TO BE HDCP JUST BECAUSE YOUR SCREEN IS COMPLIANT. Sorry to shout, what does it take? I have specific experience with Sharp too. The iscan inonly HDCP if connected to an HDCP source, so my reasoning with my own and about 150 customer setups is entirely valid.

16. tallrussian

tallrussian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    genoma2,

1. You are bringing up an interesting point of a device being "HDCP compliant" versus "HDCP capable". As far as I understand, HDCP compliance is enforced by the SOURCE of the signal, not the destination. In other words, the destination (i.e. a display) cannot refuse to accept a non-encrypted DVI signal. I may be wrong, though.

2. Yes, in my bullet 2.1 I used the verb "to say" very liberally. Sorry for any confusion. It is my understanding that if the source does not want to invoke HDCP on a DVI interface, it simply starts sending the signal unencrypted. In other word, any kind of "negotiation" or "talking" between the source and the destination of a signal on a DVI interface is only involved if the source wants to enforce HDCP. That is my understanding of how it works currently.

Cheers!

17. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again MAW,

Sorry but with all my respects I believe the last thing we should do in a forum is to shout. We are here to ask questions, to solve doubts, and to share knowledge, I presume.

We shouldn't shout among us. Even more when in some cases, as in my own case, we are non-english speakers and therefore have more difficulties to elaborate the wording and to distinguish where is the border, or in other words, to distinguish whether the voice has begun to raise up to a certain limit, both when reading and when writing.

That said, I apologize if my questions were not appropriate for you. They were more the result of my ignorance on subject than my interest to bother you.

Nevertheless I understand you and do appreciate your participation in this subject. You have more than 6000 posts and you are a retailer, so you are an expert compared to me. I accept that.

But I would appreciate, even more, to get from you or from others a more technically oriented answer: Not only "YES, it works" but also "HOW it works" or "WHY it works".

Thank you.

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I meant to reply to this thread earlier, but forgot where it was.

My PJTX100 is HDCP compliant.

The Samsung 745 without the hack is HDCP too I believe

I tried the player pre-hack and the pic was fine.

I applied the multiregion hack which also removes HDCP and tried it again.

The pic was still fine.

Cheers...PJ :)

19. genoma2

genoma2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJ,
    Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

I assume you are referring in both cases to a direct connection via DVI, right?.

Apologize for this simple question. Just trying to avoid any mistake (Component, S-Video or SCART connections are a different story, you know).

Cheers

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, DVI all the way...PJ

21. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My sharp is hdcp compliant, my Samsung is mr hacked to non hdcp.

It works fine.

The only time probs will occur is if DVD is hdcp and TV isn't..............................

end of thread.

22. p0rt

p0rt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

Does anyone know if the samsung hd-745/hd-945 will play rce discs after the region hack?

Thanks

23. Ferris691

Ferris691

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD745 hack enable another interesting feature : since I entered the hack, I also have HD on the component output !! It was previously locke to 576p at max, but now, when I select DVI selection on my remote control, it also change the resolution to 720p, 1080i on the components !!!

One another effect of the magic hack : I had problems with my Video7 LCD tV screen with macrovision with progressive scan activated. The screen went black every 2 to 3 minutes. Since the hack, I don't have this problem anymore ! It seems the hack remove macrovision !

24. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have just bought a samsung HD 850. After the multi region hack I can output fine to my sanyo Z2 via a hdmi - dvi cable. The sanyo is HDCP enabled but the image seems fine in either the AV HDCP mode or the PC mode (projector settings). I'm therefore assuming that the multi region hack has disabled HDCP. My problem is that I cant get any image at all running into the DVI connector on my dell 24 inch monitor. I can run 720p via component leads to the dell. Any thoughts anyone??

25. runas

runas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    moedeep,

The reason why your monitor does not display any of the dvd player's output resolutions is that the Dell monitor DVI input does not support them. The 24inch displays (2405 or 2407) have 16:10 aspect ratio screens, and 576p is an odd aspect ratio, 720p is 16:9 and 1080i is not recognised as it is interlaced.
    I have a HDV camera with a HDMI output, and it will not display 1080i on the Dell 2405, however, computers happily play 1080p via DVI into the display.

runas