Samsung H6400 series Smart TV random restarting

spark001uk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I bought the 48" H6400 6-series smart TV (UE48H6400), and it started randomly restarting after a few days. I got on to Samsung, who remotely connected to it (but as I suspected, the only thing they could do was fiddle with the menus, which I had already done thoroughly), and found nothing, so I took the TV back for an exchange.

All went well with the new one, then 3 days later it starts doing it. So it's either a firmware issue-but my first one had v.2117 and the new one v.2116 (which has a nicer smart hub in my opinion anyway) so I'm not convinced it's that.
That just leaves either the connected equipment, or cabling. I have a Humax Foxsat Hdr (500gb), and a Samsung HT-E350 home cinema (connected via Anynet+, and using ARC for audio).

My first question is, could a poor quality HDMI cable possibly cause the TV to reboot?

I have a good cable on the home cinema, as it has to support ARC, but the Foxsat is using a cheap 3m cable which happens to have all 4 TMDS shield pins, and the CEC and HEAC lines not connected. The lack of CEC is necessary on the Foxsat, as when connected it interferes with the Anynet+ operation between the Samsung devices. However - the pins of this cable that are connected all measure at around 5 or 6 ohms from end to end, which I'm a bit suspicious of.

Last edited:
Why not just try the set for a day or two on it's internal tuner with nothing connected, that will tell you one way or the other if it's the set or external factors causing it.

I thought of that, however I don't have a freeview socket in the room, so I'm starting off with a different hdmi to the sat box, as that's where my initial suspicions lie. I'm of the mind that high speed data doesn't like being fed thru 6 ohms of resistance, perhaps somebody with a knowledge of hdmi communication protocol could add their thoughts?

Also I've run it away from any other cables this time.

OK, I've run a long aerial lead to use internal tuner. It hasn't failed yet so I think it may be my satellite box causing it. However, I don't understand it, because it works perfectly on my older Samsung tv. Also I've tried it with a cec-less adaptor (which breaks the cec line) and still happens. So where do I stand now? Do I have to either choose a different tv or fork out for a different freesat box? Are there any other options open to me?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom