Samsung H6400 3D LED LCD TV Review

As someone who hates all sports on TV, I am turned off by the Football button, why not a Game mode buton, or even better a user-assignable button. I'm interested though to see if this has the same dark corners as the F6740 series has, this was the reason I returned my 46in F6740.

Thank you guys for an interesting review!
Good to see those contrast figures rising back to expected levels, especially considering your HU8500 test results. Can't help but wonder if the curved screen of the UHD model was causing those (relatively) low figures. Review of the flat UHD model in the making?

Nice review - hate that stand though.

Just one thing is this direct-lit-LED or edge-lit?? HDTV just reviewed the 40" and claim it is the former.

I hope it's the former and if so that it also applies to the 55H6700 as like you, I d'teste that chicken foot stand.

In fact, looking at pictures of the 6400 and 6700, the only cosmetic difference would appear to be the stand so here's hoping.

Was considering buying the 55W9 to replace my 50GT60 but the uniformity issues are dissuading me (I've also experienced this having briefly owned one last year). If the 55H6700 is indeed direct lit and the uniformity holds up, this is where I'll be putting my money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark,

first of all, thank you for the great review.

Could you please explain what you mean by "some array banding on panning shots"? What does it look like exactly? I've returned a lot of TVs in the past 6 months because of banding and DSE, but I'm always curious what it looks like on those review samples. Are there different types of banding? Also, is it really direct lit, as asked above?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
:facepalm:

I edited my original post accordingly. I just read the review without looking who actually wrote it. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the great review. Looks great, now just need to get hold of £1300 :(

Hi, great review. Is it possible to get the calibrated settings for this TV ? It would really help me out. Thanks.

Hi, how does the H6400 compare to the F8500 plasma? I'm debating between the 65H6400 and 64F8500..

Can anyone confirm whether the 2014 Samsung range have a working Amazon Prime Instant Video app for the UK?

Tnx for the review.

I have few questions:
1. Simple, would you get Samsung 50h6400 or Sony 50w805?
2. As i understand new Samsung smart remote works like LGs magic remote (motion pointer like)?
3. Is the input lag realy, but realy noticable, or is it something that only hard core gamers with laboratory equipment will notice? (I casualy play online my ps4 every day - Fifa 14 and waiting for Driveclub)
4. Viewing angles r about the same on above mentioned Samsung and Sony?

Ty in advance.

Tnx for the review.

I have few questions:
1. Simple, would you get Samsung 50h6400 or Sony 50w805?
2. As i understand new Samsung smart remote works like LGs magic remote (motion pointer like)?
3. Is the input lag realy, but realy noticable, or is it something that only hard core gamers with laboratory equipment will notice? (I casualy play online my ps4 every day - Fifa 14 and waiting for Driveclub)
4. Viewing angles r about the same on above mentioned Samsung and Sony?

Ty in advance.

The Sony has poor black levels compared to the Samsung. HDTV Test measured the W8 at 0.106 and the H6400 at 0.041 so that's more than twice as 'black'. For this reason I would rather get the Samsung.

Hi Mark,

Can you comment on viewing angles for the H6400? I am looking to buy a 32inch screen, either the Samsung, or possibly the IPS Panasonic 32AS600. Difficult as the Panny will likely suffer from poor blacks and clouding like the 2013 32E6, but have better viewing angle. The Samsung surely will have better overall picture quality and blacks but I'm not sure about off axis? I've been spoilt by owning a GT50 for the living room so have high expectations for blacks, picture and angles.......

Hope you can help.

Hi guys, i am quite new to the big 3d market of tv's. Has anyone got the calibrated settings for this Tv please? i have just got the ue55f6400 and am very pleased with it. i have toyed with a few of the settings but i am far from an expert on setting up. i used this forum for setting up my last Lg plasma and was very happy with the outcome. this is the only thread i can find for this model so i thought i may try my arm again :)
hope someone can help.
thanks.

The Sony has poor black levels compared to the Samsung. HDTV Test measured the W8 at 0.106 and the H6400 at 0.041 so that's more than twice as 'black'. For this reason I would rather get the Samsung.
Hi Ossie, that's last years 805's black level figures, the 50w805 is this years model with a black level of 0.042 and isn't using the ips panel of last years 8 series.

Hi guys, i am quite new to the big 3d market of tv's. Has anyone got the calibrated settings for this Tv please? i have just got the ue55f6400 and am very pleased with it. i have toyed with a few of the settings but i am far from an expert on setting up. i used this forum for setting up my last Lg plasma and was very happy with the outcome. this is the only thread i can find for this model so i thought i may try my arm again :)
hope someone can help.
thanks.

Hi Guys,
I have my h6400 on order and got the below calibration setting from another site. Let me know how you get on with them until AV forums come up with something. Won't have my set till next week so keen to know.

H6400 55 INCH
Calibration Equipment: Sencore OTC1000 Meter, AV Foundry VideoForge Source, Direct Display Control

Post Calibration Settings

Picture Mode Movie

Backlight 17

Contrast 97

Brightness 49

Sharpness 12

Color 51

Tint G50/R50

Advance Settings

Dynamic Contrast Off

Black Tone Off

Flesh Tone 0

RGB Only Mode Off

Color Space Auto

10pt White Balance On

Gamma +1

Expert Pattern Off

xvYCC Off

Picture Options

Color Tone Warm2

Digital Noise Filter Off

MPEG Noise Filter Off

HDMI Black Level Normal (Low if available)

Film Mode Off

Auto Motion Plus Off

LED Motion Plus Off

10pt White Balance

On

Interval Red Green Blue

1 0 +1 0

2 +1 0 -2

3 0 0 +2

4 0 -1 0

5 -1 0 +1

6 0 -1 0

7 -1 -2 -2

8 0 +2 0

9 +1 0 0
10 +2 0 0

White Balance

Setting Value

R-Offset 25

G-Offset 24

B-Offset 27

R-Gain 20

G-Gain 23

B-Gain 21

Screen Adjustment

Picture Size Screen Fit

Is there much difference between the h6400 and the f6400?

Of course the BIG cat in with the pigeons is Samsung's new 6900 4k 'budget' (sans 3D) 55" which, is now out and can be had for similar money.

Last edited:
Review of the new 55 INCH H6400.
Ok after spending the full weekend with the new H6400 I can say avforums dedicated review of the H6400 is fairly accurate. I'm not overly technical when it comes to AV, but I will give my honest opinion and whether it worth the purchase on the 55 inch model.

14 months ago I sold my cheap but beloved 50 inch LG 50P650. At €500 I couldn't believe the picture quality, colors and sharpness , however I was coming from a very old 720p samsung display but still the picture was superb. For some bizarre reason I was convinced 3D was going to take off and LED 55 INCH was the way to go . Sold the plasma for a few hundred quid and heading into currys and picked up what i thought was a good value 55 inch 3D led (55 inch LG640T) for €1300. To my horror I couldn't believe how wash out the tv looked , everything was lifeless and grey even after some research and calibrating settings . The pic quality on the LED compared to my plasma was huge and have to admit was pissed I sold my plasma. Took the plunge again last week and got rid of the 55in LG and decided to go with the h6400.

Have to admit this is a great TV. Samsung have really nailed the colors and sharpness. When playing from a good HD source such as bluray or even the netfilx it really is a sight to behold , even my wife who has no interest can't stop looking at the TV. I did try and calibrate but found the standard mode with some tweaking such as motion off etc works just fine. Titanfall on the Xbox one looks so much sharper although very black in some areas due to deep blacks but still great and not lifeless like the previous tv. The only issue I can find is the HD channels such as BBCHD look very blurry and almost not HD. Can't figure this out as the everything else looks pristine. Even the 55 lg looked better, very strange indeed it's like Samsung held back on the crispness for TV channels. I don't watch much terrestrial tv so no a biggie, all the same wouldn't mind getting to the bottom of it. By the way I watched Gravity in 3D and extremely impressed and that's coming from someone who dislikes 3D. Also, i have found this TV has produced better images over the week gradually, I'm convinced the TV has gotten sharper over the last few days or maybe it's just my eyes adjusting.

I can safely say AV Forums review is nearly spot on and this is a great LED TV with superb colors, deep blacks and wonderful sharpness. I would even go to say I prefare it to my old plasma due to the fabulous colors. The only downfall is the week blurry HD CHANNELS. Very strange.

Anyway 9/10 overall . If you on the fence about this one I would recommend highly.

Nice review mate. How uniform is the screen? Any visible DSE, banding or backlight bleed?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom