Samsung H6400 3D LED LCD TV Review

The post calibration figures that you posted on here worked fine for me (F6400), but i did adjust from warm2 back to neutral/natural in the colour tone as the sky hd menu was looking like a really washed out blue/grey. With the neutral/natural its brought it back to the blue that it should be.

One thing i did notice on the settings out the box were how the depth of feel was outstanding with the crisp sharp clarity (in 2d mode too). I too had an LG Plasma 50" and couldn't fault it with its lovely soft warm colours, this tv is a whole new ball game.
It did take a little getting used too but now i just watch it and revel in my new tv. :)

Maybe I was lucky but absolutely no DSE, banding or backlight bleed. trust me a great tv !
I'd suggest sticking some money on the lottery this weekend if you are indeed that lucky! ;)

So do you know if the 55" is an edge or direct-lit LED mate?

Hi there, this weekend I purchased the 48H6400 can someone please provide me the link to the recommended settings for the H6400? Or are people using the ones that eltond provided?

Thanks

Matt

P.S This is the second one as the one I bough on Saturday I was not happy with when I took it back to the shop the salesman played the Samsung content 3d Blu-ray to try and spot the problems I had found (to which I politely told him that this is not real world content and is designed to make people want to buy it and be wowed) the issue I came across was on Avengers Assemble, when Iron Man flew around Stark tower to tell Dr Selwig to turn it off there was a second iron man shadow about 1/4inch in-front of where he actually was. I took the Blu-ray with me and insisted he put it on and skipped to the scene to show my point he then set it up on the screen in-store and it was even worse, then we went on to try it on the F8000 which from what I have heard is a sublime screen, it was no better than the one I had bought so agreeing that it could be a panel fault or just the film itself, so I took a new TV home and so far I have not noticed any problems. Just needs a bit of fine tuning hence the request for setting config.

Last edited:
Hi there, this weekend I purchased the 48H6400 can someone please provide me the link to the recommended settings for the H6400? Or are people using the ones that eltond provided?

Thanks

Matt

P.S This is the second one as the one I bough on Saturday I was not happy with when I took it back to the shop the salesman played the Samsung content 3d Blu-ray to try and spot the problems I had found (to which I politely told him that this is not real world content and is designed to make people want to buy it and be wowed) the issue I came across was on Avengers Assemble, when Iron Man flew around Stark tower to tell Dr Selwig to turn it off there was a second iron man shadow about 1/4inch in-front of where he actually was. I took the Blu-ray with me and insisted he put it on and skipped to the scene to show my point he then set it up on the screen in-store and it was even worse, then we went on to try it on the F8000 which from what I have heard is a sublime screen, it was no better than the one I had bought so agreeing that it could be a panel fault or just the film itself, so I took a new TV home and so far I have not noticed any problems. Just needs a bit of fine tuning hence the request for setting config.

Hi Matt, Congrats on your new purchase. I have this link to the recommended settings. But also keep in mind the disclaimer that settings for every tv are slightly different, so these can be just taken as a good reference point.

Samsung H6400 (UE55H6400) Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings | AVForums

I was just about to buy the 65 inch version until i saw the football button - i detest football and will have nothing to do with this tv - think i'll wait until next years models are out and this rubbish tournament is over

Thanks for the link I am currently set up using the one listed by eltond provided. 47 Ronin is the movie of choice for tonight :)

The Sony has poor black levels compared to the Samsung. HDTV Test measured the W8 at 0.106 and the H6400 at 0.041 so that's more than twice as 'black'. For this reason I would rather get the Samsung.

W8 2013 or W8 2014?

Definately isn't local dimming if you can wade your way through the stupid Samsung website you'll find the info, here's a link, scroll down to where it says view the specs, click on the plus sign, that opens, then 2 lines down it says View remaining tech specs+, click on that and you'll find all the specs......

Is it me? or do Samsung make it deliberately difficult to navigate?

Samsung 55-inch H6400 Series 6 Smart 3D Full HD LED TV - Samsung UK

Last edited:
Ok bought this tv this week loving it apart from a couple of little design issues ie network and optical cables plug directly into the back and not the side. A bit of pain when I want to flush mount to on the wall. Also where is the BBC Iplayer app I cannot find it anywhere.

How are people finding this tv im thinking of picking up the 65 inch version ?

I must confess I am a novice in the TV market having read all your posts.

I have narrowed my choice down to, a more modest 40"...

F6740 and H6400

I would appreciate your opinions on which to go for. There is no difference in price. The F6740 has a higher frequency but the H is obviously a newer model with a better processor. What do I prioritise?

I see this TV has not only received a good review here but also over at HDTV.

I am looking to get a new TV as the DSE on my LG 32lv550t is very annoying.

Does anyone own this set in any size and can advise of screen uniformity?

Hey, I just bought this TV for my bedroom, would be great if Mark could share his settings that he used to calibrate this panel as a good starting point for me :)

Close to buying a 48" version of this... just sold the PS4 to fund it (as I have literally played it twice and will not have the time in the future anyway), the lack of 3D blu-ray support really pee'd me off so I'm just going to continue to use the PS3 for that. The only concern I have is the banding (DSE) as I had 3 really bad examples of the F6500 last year... only place to stock the 48" version is Currys or Richer Sounds but neither sound great on returns like JL so still debating what to do... I don't believe Samsung make 50" panels and want to avoid AUO made panels as per the F6500's I 'tested' last year.

Any owners got any feedback of DSE/Banding and Uniformity? Still left wondering if all the sizes are back-lit.

My 40" version seems fine

I'm thinking of getting either the UE48H6400 or the UE50H6400. I've seen on JL's website that owners of the 50" (they don't sell the 48") have complained of motion blur. Anyone who owns this TV care to comment on the severity or not of motion blur please?

Wish JL did stock the 48", would price match and purchase today :)

Yeah this is a worry but I'm imagining it's down to poor use of the Motion Plus settings, in the reviews (admittedly the H6350) it looks the same as the 7000 and 8000 in that regard.

The thing I've noticed is that the US model seems to be slightly different to UK, the US mentions micro dimming which the UK version doesn't, so maybe the backlight is different too, it would explain why CNET.com and UK sites differ about uniformity, this could hopefully account for them complaining about motion blur (wishful thinking)?!?

Just been to see the 48" version in Currys and left a little underwhelmed tbh... Not worried about colour etc, just uniformity, it was pretty bad with dse and darker corners, wasn't massive banding like the f6500s I tested but from sites stating great uniformity, I can only imagine it refers to clouding at night, will upload a few pics later.

Just been to see the 48" version in Currys and left a little underwhelmed tbh... Not worried about colour etc, just uniformity, it was pretty bad with dse and darker corners, wasn't massive banding like the f6500s I tested but from sites stating great uniformity, I can only imagine it refers to clouding at night, will upload a few pics later.
Shop mode?

Shop mode?
That's why I wasn't really comparing the colours etc as obviously it's not set-up correctly in store but uniformity shouldn't be any different, most of the reviews use the 40" so maybe it's the only one to be direct lit, but where do the reviewers get their information from as I can't find any official statement.

Here is the light grey screen... notice the corners being darker with also a bit just to the right of the middle, also the bottom is a bit patchy (ignore the horizontal lines as that was my phone with the refresh rate of the tv)
h6400_1.jpg
h6400_2.jpg

IMO it's not the worst I've seen but not amazing, maybe this is DSE caused by the LCD filter applied rather than backlight issues.

That's why I wasn't really comparing the colours etc as obviously it's not set-up correctly in store but uniformity shouldn't be any different, most of the reviews use the 40" so maybe it's the only one to be direct lit, but where do the reviewers get their information from as I can't find any official statement.

Here is the light grey screen... notice the corners being darker with also a bit just to the right of the middle, also the bottom is a bit patchy (ignore the horizontal lines as that was my phone with the refresh rate of the tv)

IMO it's not the worst I've seen but not amazing, maybe this is DSE caused by the LCD filter applied rather than backlight issues.
I predict you are going to find it hard to find a TV you like...:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom