Samsung Global Dimming Game Mode Fix

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by steocullen91, May 28, 2018.

1. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So I got a new 50MU6120 and I've been annoyed straight off the bat by global dimming that can't be disabled. I just figured it out if anyone wants to know how.

So people say you are stuck using movie mode and having horrible input lag just to disable it. The trick is to get into the service menu, but you need to get the advanced tab up, highlight it and then press 0000 to make the extra options show.

Power off the TV fully and then press info, menu (or settings on some remotes), mute and then power. The TV should power on and then be in the service menu.

If you don't have a service remote or device with an IR transmitter, try this:

To get up the extended menu, set the source to HDMI1, select Other Option and select CAL Data restore

After you get a USB error go back and you should see advanced. Then highlight it and press 0000 which will reveal extra options.

After you do that go Picture_2D > SubSetting and change PWM_INI_2D from 15 to 100. Problem solved. You can also change PWM_MOVIE_INI from 30 to 100 to eliminate the problem from other modes.

It will still dim when the screen is fully black and the only way around it is to set PWM_MIN to whatever you use the backlight at.

Just multiply your preferred backlight setting by 5 to get your answer. The only problem with doing this is if you change the backlight in the user menu and the screen goes fully black it sets itself to that setting temporarily. So I have mine on 100 meaning if I turn my backlight down lower than 20 and the screen goes fully black, the backlight will max on the black screen then go darker again when an image is displayed, so only set this to 5x what you want the backlight on and use that fixed setting.

For example if you use the back light on 10, set PWM_MIN to 50 or if you use 14 then set it to 70. You can just leave it at the default setting if you don't mind it dimming on fully black screens. Most people won't but I find it annoying if a game goes black for a cutscene etc. and the picture has to fade in again.

PWM_INI_2D fixes the dimming on dark (but not fully black) screens anyway which is what bothers people especially in dark scenes in games and it won't affect anything else on the TV. The backlight will still function normally in the user menu.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. AtomiS

AtomiS
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just connected to this forum and made an account so i can say THANK YOU very much for this tutorial i have a Samsung MU6400 i that global dimming when for example a dark scene whit a white text in the middle was anoing as hell for me but from what i can see after the settings is working ok now its exacly like in PC MODE but im in gaming mode now hope that i solved the problem once and for all. Thank you one more time

3. drzz

drzz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the bump here - This is the closest solution to my problem but still can't quite get it.
    I have a new nu7400, and as it is the next years model I guess the service menu is slightly different.
    There is no advanced tab to press 0000 on. I have tried on every tab anyway, to no avail.
    I have been through every possible setting tab and can't find any setting which relates.
    Interestingly on the first page of service menu there is a blue box which lists all the current settings/firmwares and stuff like that, and there on that list it has global dimming.
    Surely that means that there is someway to disable or adjust..?!
    This is really driving me crazy, some shows and movies are unwatchable!
    I will post some pictures of the settings a little bit later, just feeling out if anyone with an nu model has a solution so far...?
    Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  4. drzz

drzz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I figured it out, for anyone else who is stuck. Im using a nu7400 btw.

Seems like the answer was right there in Steocullins post but was a bit mixed up.

So my problem was not seeing the Advanced tab in order to press 0000 and unlock the hidden submenus.

He mentions Cal data restore there but ill explain it a bit more clearly for anyone stuck like me.
    This is quick guide if you don't see the advanced tab straight away, otherwise follow Steocullins explanation.

So start by getting to the service menu - as mentioned above info, settings, mute, power.
    Go to SVC -> Other setting -> CAL Data restore.
    When you click cal data restore an error message will pop up. click OK and scroll all the way back to the first menus.
    You will now see the advanced tab at the bottom. Go ahead and highlight it and press 0000. A bunch more tabs will appear below.

As mentioned above its now Picture_2D -> Subsetting and then you have PWM_INI_2D and PWM_MOVIE_INI which can both be changed to 100.

I just tested a few scenes of Ozark, which is a particularly bad show for the dimming problem, and voila, no more dimming!

Hope this helps, thanks Steocullin for pointing me in the right direction.

5. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm glad it helped a few people and I'm glad you got it sorted. The newer models probably do have some slight differences in the service menu.

6. anthony3192

anthony3192
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steocculen91

I apologize in advance for my bad English since I'm Italian.
    I wanted to say thank you for your help that I found very useful, I noticed that by doing this the problem disappears, but the input lag gets a lot, there is a way to not have this problem having a low input lag?

I did exactly as you asked on my samsung KU6072 (KU6300) I also selected the game mode, but I repeat the input lag increases (before doing this was about 23 ms)

7. TimToolman

TimToolman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an UE55MU7000 and am generally very happy with it. However, when i started watching new Daredevil season I saw the dimming effect on dark scenes when subtitles appear. The whole picture is brightened and then goes darker again until the next subtitles. Very annoying.

Now, I can access all options, including advanced etc. I have tried 2 things:
    1) set PWM_INI_2D and PWM_MOVIE_INI to 100 (2D was already at 100, only changed movie from 30->100)
    that made no difference at all....so I also tried:
    2) PWM MID and PWM MIN to a higher level (MIN 0->20, MIN 5->40)
    (as mentioned here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-...amsung-ks8000-calibration-3.html#post54313057)
    since that didnt work either I tried:
    3) Setting dimming option to 0 (in options somewhere) - that only made screen very dim.

I have also tried all picture modes (dynamic/natural/standard/movie) also makes no difference.

So basically, problem is still there :( Im reading others that have made this work, and only on darker scenes, while not affecting other things or overall brightness.

What am I doing wrong?

To be clear: I am using netflix, so internal app, no external device, and Daredevil is in HDR.
    Not sure if that makes a difference? I just want this stupid dimming off! :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. TimToolman

TimToolman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am assuming you are using netflix app to watch Ozark? Are you really sure it works? I was thinking the same, until i turned off all lights. Then I saw it was not fixed yet.

Can you test Daredevil S3/EP1 for me? At 14:27 it is really dark, and then subs appear you can really see it, and turn off the lights :)

9. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    if you have Smart LED turned on then you will still get dimming and undimming with subtitles and stuff

as Smart LED tries to dim darker parts of the screen to get better blacks, without Smart LED though you should not see any dimming

This is a problem in HDR as you pretty much need Smart LED to get the best contrast and bright highlights.

Also i wonder if the OP got this solution from my discovery lol (that i have posted in other forums) cause when i found this out (through trial and error) there was no help on the internet on how to do it

10. TimToolman

TimToolman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smart LED? What is that? I dont know that option anywhere in normal or service menu settings.
    I think waht you mean is that Smart led = dimming?

If yes, then it can be turned off, yes? As other did succesfully.....
    Or can it not be turned off for HDR content?

11. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Smart LED is an option in normal settings, you have 3 options OFF, LOW, HIGH

this is different type of dimming, say half the screen is dark, the other isnt, it will only dim the dark side of the screen.

It can be turned off in HDR, but TV wont get as dark or bright compared to having it ON

12. TimToolman

TimToolman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have that option, I see it is on older tvs. But not on the newer ones.
    Now it is called Local Dimming, and before (i think 2016 models?) you could set that to OFF.
    But now you only have: LOW/STANDARD/HIGH. You cannot turn it off and even in low it still sucks in dark scenes. So I know you have to do this in service menu....but the trick is where and how.

13. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    oh ok, i have a ks8000 which is 2016 model

sorry cant help if newer models are different

14. drzz

drzz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Yes I was using the netflix app, through my nvidia shield. I used that as an example as I whilst I was watching it the dimming was so bad it motivated me to find a fix!
    I can confirm that I have absolutely no dimming on any show/movie/game, on shield tv or native tv apps.
    Sorry Im really no expert, I can't offer any solutions, I just managed fix my tv through this method. Good luck.

15. TimToolman

TimToolman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems simple, and i was happy to find all the options. But until now....not working. Can you maybe post a screenshot/photo of your settings in servicemenu? Then I can compare and maybe find something. Thanks in advance!

16. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In my case, the TV doesn't dim as long as there's something on screen, but if the screen is entirely black then it still dims. I think that might just be that motion lighting was enabled in the General > Eco Solution. I'll have to check that out later.

17. TimToolman

TimToolman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, If you really see no dimming, then
    - you must have a 2016 TV or before (where you can turn this off using standard settings)-
    - you have a TV with different backlight (this is only issue with Edgelit + dimming)
    - you dont use subtitles

Otherwise, it does dim and it you can see it clearly on dark scenes when subs appear. Dimming off is only possible using advanced options in service menu (a hidden menu buried in a secret menu :) ). But i dont get this to work....so I need some help or screenshots of the servicemenu settings of others who got this working.

18. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    All I changed were the settings I have in the first post to make my TV stop doing it. I think it's silly that Samsung actually made it so hard to disable a useless feature that nobody wants.

I also think that PC mode on the TV is really blurry and washed out looking and I even wrote down the default settings for some of the colour settings for some other options and changed them to make it look less washed out. It was with the help of colorbars etc though and not just randomly changing settings.

19. Jameschickenpox

Jameschickenpox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I did this to my TV nu7100 the dimming was annoying and it worked for me by turning them to 10.. But I also went into the setting think it was 3rd one down after you click option on the start of service menu. It was called mtu or something simular it had eco sensor listed at the bottom which I turned off and was on. And I have no dimming at all which I'm really happy about

20. 99nirc99

99nirc99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm losing it. I tried fixing the problem the whole day and finally stumbled upon this thread. After changing the settings in the service menu the problem seemed to be solved, but then I decided to change the picture mode in the normal settings from dynamic to auto. The issue came back, and now no matter what I try it keeps happening, both the PWM settings are on 100! What do I do now?

21. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Have you made sure all the settings are disabled in eco solution?

22. 99nirc99

99nirc99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it's all turned off. I think some thing is screwed up, now whenever subtitles appear the screen becomes brighter and it's super annoying. Is there a way to reset all the service menu settings to default? If not, what were the default value of the settings you posted in the original post? Thanks

23. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    smart LED is off?