Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 Review & Comments

£999 for a phone and there's no charger supplied :rotfl:
This is getting old now.......in fact, stinks like a corpse.
Address pls so the next time I'll be throwing never used chargers and crappy earphones that came bundled with phone I can send to you. So you can take them to some e-waste disposal once you realise they are just useless junk.
We got universal chargers back in micro B days, manufacturers never decided to provide us with multiport chargers in the box and most of us need it so we need up with buying another one anyway. If any "trend" in stale smartphone world makes sense than this is it.
Currently on a vacation with with camera, headphones, speaker, tablet, 2 phones and head lamp. All served by 3 port charger that I bought separately.

What is your point? Same with almost every flagship phone on the market these days.
Just because something is the norm doesn't automatically make it best practice

Considering a 25W fast charger is required, not everyone will have one from a previous phone they've owned

If the likes of Xioami can bundle a high wattage charger with a £100 phone, then IMHO not supplying one (because Samsung decided to copy Apple) (or giving an option to receive one) is taking the pee

If it's an evironmental issue then the best way round that is to ask the customer do they require one or not

Considering a 25W fast charger is required, not everyone will have one from a previous phone they've owned

If the likes of Xioami can bundle a high wattage charger with a £100 phone, then IMHO not supplying one (because Samsung decided to copy Apple) (or giving an option to receive one) is taking the pee

If it's an evironmental issue then the best way round that is to ask the customer do they require one or not

I agree it isn't best practice, it is a money saving exercise by huge corporations that make enough profit as it is. That being said it is now the industry standard for flagship phones, so these sorts of comments are pointless years after the fact. No amount of moaning about the now status quo on a message board is going to change that and it just gets annoying.

If you are going to comment on a review of a phone at least make it on topic and about the review itself or the phone in question.

This is my second Android phone in 12 years (I've been an iPhone user for all bar 18 months of that).

Had an 18 month stint with a Pixel 3 with 'vanilla Android' and came back to iOS for the last two years - even the comparatively cheaper SE 2020 was a demonstrable improvement over battling on with the Pixel.

That's all changed with this. The screen is gorgeous, the flip mechanism seems robust (for now at least), and IMO the user experience between iOS/Android has narrowed to the point of irrelevance.

Things have also moved on even in that two year period - migrating WhatsApp (using WazzapMigrator) was markedly harder this time out than it was in 2019. But, unlike when I bought the SE and deliberately went for the 128GB model, I felt no compulsion this time to drag my near 20 year established iTunes library into local storage on the new handset.

Battery seems much better than the iPhone it's replacing. It's taken me the best part of two days off and on to get it setup how I want, I guess if you're moving Android > Android it will take a lot less.

The only thing I'm missing is iConnectHue as it seems there is no full Android equivalent.

I've also binned off my Apple Watch and opted for the Galaxy Watch 5, huge "pre-order" discounts on both the watch and phone until the close of play tonight.

I agree it isn't best practice, it is a money saving exercise by huge corporations that make enough profit as it is. That being said it is now the industry standard for flagship phones, so these sorts of comments are pointless years after the fact. No amount of moaning about the now status quo on a message board is going to change that and it just gets annoying.

If you are going to comment on a review of a phone at least make it on topic and about the review itself or the phone in question.
A bit confused with this paragraph?

Wasn't aware it was a bete noire on here as I rarely look at mobile phone reviews, I'll consider myself suitably chastised :blush: :rotfl:

This is my second Android phone in 12 years (I've been an iPhone user for all bar 18 months of that).

Had an 18 month stint with a Pixel 3 with 'vanilla Android' and came back to iOS for the last two years - even the comparatively cheaper SE 2020 was a demonstrable improvement over battling on with the Pixel.

That's all changed with this. The screen is gorgeous, the flip mechanism seems robust (for now at least), and IMO the user experience between iOS/Android has narrowed to the point of irrelevance.

Things have also moved on even in that two year period - migrating WhatsApp (using WazzapMigrator) was markedly harder this time out than it was in 2019. But, unlike when I bought the SE and deliberately went for the 128GB model, I felt no compulsion this time to drag my near 20 year established iTunes library into local storage on the new handset.

Battery seems much better than the iPhone it's replacing. It's taken me the best part of two days off and on to get it setup how I want, I guess if you're moving Android > Android it will take a lot less.

The only thing I'm missing is iConnectHue as it seems there is no full Android equivalent.

I've also binned off my Apple Watch and opted for the Galaxy Watch 5, huge "pre-order" discounts on both the watch and phone until the close of play tonight.

iConnectHue. this got my attention. Would be interested to know more about this and if you think its worth getting and what it does over the standard Hue app please?

afaik it is an environmental issue. Literally thousands of chargers get tossed away so decision was made to not provide one to try to cut down on waste and don't think it was Samsungs idea.

If you can afford a 999 quid phone should not be a problem stumping up for a charger...if you still need one.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm making a similar move from iPhone to the Flip4, although to be fair I'm primarily an Android user who switched to iOS after the awful Android 12 / Pixel 6 launch for 8 months to see what it was like. The hardware in the latest iPhones is really solid, excellent build quality and the software is worry free. My main gripes would be the lack of home screen customisation making everything feel very cluttered and the Apple way or no way on a number of issues. Plus I'm more used to (and in) the Android ecosystem with Google Photos, Gmail, Chrome etc.

With regards to WhatsApp I actually found going Android to iOS impossible without paid software but going iOS to Android free and easy by just using my inbetween phone's (Pixel 2 XL on Android 11) initial setup migration option via a cable.

The discounts sure do help just a shame we don't get similar ones to the states but then that is nothing new.

afaik it is an environmental issue. Literally thousands of chargers get tossed away so decision was made to not provide one to try to cut down on waste and don't think it was Samsungs idea.

If you can afford a 999 quid phone should not be a problem stumping up for a charger...if you still need one.

That is what they want you to think. Ultimately companies are driven by money and very little else. They care about profits and shareholders so any positive environmental changes are mostly driven as a by product of that or by government regulation. Just look at Apple with the EU charge port legislation; they make so much money from lightning cables and accessory fees that the only reason they are likely moving away from the slow, out of date and barely fit for purpose port in 2023 is because of regulation. It certainly isn't because it makes the life of consumers easier through a single port for charging everything, much faster data transfer and charging speeds.

This is the real reason they removed the charger and headphones from the box: Report claims Apple saved $6.5 billion by removing charger and EarPods from iPhone boxes

And then 99% will "need" one just because it comes free with the phone and is a new one so must be better than one of those 17 that are scattered around the house.

Anyhow, whatever is the reason or however anyone see the outcome of this decision I'm glad that I'm not the one throwing something that I did not used and did not need in the first place.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm making a similar move from iPhone to the Flip4, although to be fair I'm primarily an Android user who switched to iOS after the awful Android 12 / Pixel 6 launch for 8 months to see what it was like. The hardware in the latest iPhones is really solid, excellent build quality and the software is worry free. My main gripes would be the lack of home screen customisation making everything feel very cluttered and the Apple way or no way on a number of issues. Plus I'm more used to (and in) the Android ecosystem with Google Photos, Gmail, Chrome etc.

With regards to WhatsApp I actually found going Android to iOS impossible without paid software but going iOS to Android free and easy by just using my inbetween phone's (Pixel 2 XL on Android 11) initial setup migration option via a cable.

The discounts sure do help just a shame we don't get similar ones to the states but then that is nothing new.
Hand on heart, didn't know it was possible to transfer WhatsApp via a cable. Does that keep all your WhatsApp media/attachments too?

I'd used WazzapMigrator last time out as well, but it's got clunkier since, in that A) you need to install an intermediate WhatsApp APK on the Android device to allow local restore and B) their website instructions no longer correlate to newer versions of Android (had to trawl the comments to find that one user had resolved my same issue - you have to grant full permissions before opening WhatsApp otherwise it won't find the local restore).

I gave up trying to take WhatsApp Android > iOS when I reversed the switch, the apps looked really suspect.

Apple's hardware, packaging, everything else is still streets ahead of the competition, but the 13 Mini didn't seem a big upgrade on my SE and I was loathe to throw £600 at it. I had some quirky phones back in the day (Nokia 3650, N-Gage etc.) so don't mind being a guinea pig, but genuinely worried the screen on this Flip will die at some point. Seems Samsung aren't particularly happy at picking up the blame if it does.

Genuinely not that fussed about customising and widgets and all that, I tried the iOS16 launcher app thinking it would make the switch easier but I'm getting on OK with the Samsung UI. Tried CoverOS as well but while it's an interesting proof of concept, it's not usable in real life situations.

Android Auto seems OK as well.

iConnectHue. this got my attention. Would be interested to know more about this and if you think its worth getting and what it does over the standard Hue app please?
It's absolutely superb. Probably cost you a tenner all in for the app and a couple of the more useful customisation packages but as an example (and without going too far off topic).

Our lounge would previously have been a separate lounge and dining room, but a previous owner knocked the wall through. There was one physical lightswitch with two switches.

There are two normal ceiling roses with Hue bulbs, and a floor standing light at the TV end, and a bookshelf lamp at the patio end.

Within the Hue app I have two groups setup - TV end and Patio end.

I ditched the physical switch and installed a Hue four button dimmer.

With iConnectHue, the switch is setup so that:

Button1st press2nd press3rd press
ATV end on 100%TV end at 50%TV end off
BFloor stander on (if off)Floor stander off (if on)
CBookshelf lamp on (if off)Bookshelf lamp off (if on)
DPatio end on 100%Patio end at 50%Patio end off.

Sounds complicated but it's child play once setup and gives so much more functionality to the Hue equipment. Equally means you can toggle between having just the floorstander/bookshelf lamps on. Back in the day, all that would have required channelling out plaster, running extra wires, extra switches etc.

Kids rooms also have dimmer switches that function as on/dim/off, a 30 minute countdown nightlight, and a colour changing scene.

£999 for a phone and there's no charger supplied :rotfl:
Welcome to the modern world.. however that's hardly a deal breaker is it? If you were using wireless chargers on your previous phone, you can use them on this one!

Or if you object that highly, stick to the phones that bundle a charger lol.

If you're prepared to pay 1k for a phone these days, you're not going to worry about if it comes with a charger. These USB charger cables are 10 a penny aren't they. I'm afraid the 'value for money' ship sailed a long time ago with flag top end phones.

Hand on heart, didn't know it was possible to transfer WhatsApp via a cable. Does that keep all your WhatsApp media/attachments too?

I'd used WazzapMigrator last time out as well, but it's got clunkier since, in that A) you need to install an intermediate WhatsApp APK on the Android device to allow local restore and B) their website instructions no longer correlate to newer versions of Android (had to trawl the comments to find that one user had resolved my same issue - you have to grant full permissions before opening WhatsApp otherwise it won't find the local restore).

I gave up trying to take WhatsApp Android > iOS when I reversed the switch, the apps looked really suspect.

Apple's hardware, packaging, everything else is still streets ahead of the competition, but the 13 Mini didn't seem a big upgrade on my SE and I was loathe to throw £600 at it. I had some quirky phones back in the day (Nokia 3650, N-Gage etc.) so don't mind being a guinea pig, but genuinely worried the screen on this Flip will die at some point. Seems Samsung aren't particularly happy at picking up the blame if it does.

Genuinely not that fussed about customising and widgets and all that, I tried the iOS16 launcher app thinking it would make the switch easier but I'm getting on OK with the Samsung UI. Tried CoverOS as well but while it's an interesting proof of concept, it's not usable in real life situations.

Android Auto seems OK as well.

Seemed to yeah, I was surprised to be fair. Going Android to iOS I used iCareFone but even that isn't needed anymore it seems. I forget what problem I had that necessitated paid software but it could well have been the fact attachments like photos and such were not transferred. Honestly had I heard of WazzapMigrator I would have probably given that a go.

I agree, they really have nailed a lot of things. They are pricey but they do feel premium with great build quality and heft. Performance and smoothness on the iPhone 13 is lovely now with the 120Hz screen. If they do bring USB-C and proper Home Screen customisation to the iPhone 15 and beyond then I may be tempted to switch back one day.

My biggest concern going for the Flip4 was basically going from stock Android that I'm fairly happy with to Samsung One UI software. Last time I used it was a long time ago but I've heard good things. Couldn't be any worse than the buggy mess of Android 12 and Pixel 6 that caused me to try iOS in the first place. Still got quite a few weeks to wait for my Flip4 as I went for a non-standard colour combo but I'm certainly looking forward to it.

That is good news! Thanks for letting us know.

My nephew has one of these flip Samsung phones, it is ok, but the fold is visible, and I do wonder how long they will last. I thought we have gone past the days of flip phones :).
I did see how useful they may be while watching him use it, but not for me. For a start the price is way higher than I would ever pay for a phone, second is how long that hinge and screen will last where it folds. Third, I don't like Samsung phones. Fourthly, I don't have a need for one.

My nephew has one of these flip Samsung phones, it is ok, but the fold is visible, and I do wonder how long they will last. I thought we have gone past the days of flip phones :).
I did see how useful they may be while watching him use it, but not for me. For a start the price is way higher than I would ever pay for a phone, second is how long that hinge and screen will last where it folds. Third, I don't like Samsung phones. Fourthly, I don't have a need for one.
I heard on a YouTube video, Samsung stated the phones are fold tested for the equivalent of 100 open/close motions per day, for up to 5 years………

I heard on a YouTube video, Samsung stated the phones are fold tested for the equivalent of 100 open/close motions per day, for up to 5 years………
Fair enough, but i would want a good warranty on it. I will stick with my cheap Oppo, it does what I need

I would've been interested if it wasn't so thick.

Last edited:
Has anybody had any experience of the Samsung trade-in deal?

It says "any phone" but then T&C's say can't be liquid damaged but Samsung support said that it doesn't matter.

I've a OnePlus 3T which may have been dunked in the sea in Lanzarote a few years back. I was thinking of trading that in the deal and selling my 8T seperately.

The latest video from AVForums

RESTORATION vs. REVISIONISM: At what point do 4K video and audio 'upgrades' cross the line?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom