Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Review & Comments

Evinger

How does this stand up against the new Motorola Razr?
(Putting aside any "Samsung is best / Motorola is nothing now" Playground banter :) )

MEGATAMA

After...dont know...10 years?....finaly nice and fresh looking phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

raduv1

Distinguished Member
another bold launch of yet another phone that no one needs at this time . Well at the very least they all gonna be dirt cheap a couple of weeks in I spose.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Give it a year or two and the Chinese will have a replica out for half that.

dts197

Distinguished Member
another bold launch of yet another phone that no one needs at this time . Well at the very least they all gonna be dirt cheap a couple of weeks in I spose.
What's going to happen in 2 weeks to make them dirt cheap?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The world can't stop operating due to this poxy virus. Once it finishes there still needs to be a functional economy.

keithwiggins

I fully agree, however, that's pretty much , what has now happened for now. Just pointing out the very high cost and timing of the release.

anobium

How can you give this 8/10 for value for money, £1300 is a hell of a lot for a phone, if this was £500 I'd see your point.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
What a ridiculous price for something that we don't really need. Vfm score should be a 5 at best.

gigglebug

What a ridiculous price for something that we don't really need. Vfm score should be a 5 at best.
Are you assuming that consumer products are only ever purchased based on what we actually need as oppose to what we might fancy at any given point? Value for money will only ever be determined by the person paying the money in the first place, if somebody sees the merit of something you personally do not it shouldn’t be that much if a concern to you should it?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Are you assuming that consumer products are only ever purchased based on what we actually need as oppose to what we might fancy at any given point? Value for money will only ever be determined by the person paying the money in the first place, if somebody sees the merit of something you personally do not it shouldn’t be that much if a concern to you should it?
Its not value for money though, regardless of what different people perceive as vfm

gigglebug

Its not value for money though, regardless of what different people perceive as vfm
Is there anything more comical in life than someone with too higher opinion of their own opinion? Love it how you used the term “we don’t really need” in your original post as if you believe that you are speaking for everyone. Brilliant!!

aVdub

Distinguished Member

Thank you for this review that didn't feel the need to mention apple or iphone once :smashin:

Would be interesting to know how long the reviewer has each phone for these reviews and if it is 100% from hands on, or some from reviews already published.

T/y

Steven

Senior Moderator
I am not the author but I think the review grade was in the context of a concept device

My personal view is it is a solution in search of a problem in 2020, come back in five years and let's see if the tech has matured. I'd be stunned if I saw this in the wild and it was a real purchase, not a review sample :)

No offence to Samsung, my trusty Note 4 is still going strong

Johnmcl7

I don't think their post implies that at all nor do I equate my personal choice in devices as being the same as value for money. With some devices like a processor or graphics card it's fairly straight forward to compare their performance against their cost but while it's more difficult with mobile phones, it's still a relatively straight forward comparison of the features against the cost. Regardless of what you value in a device I don't see how you could think this phone is in any way good value for money given the high cost for the feature set. That's not the same as claiming no-one should buy the device at all it's just what it is, I buy plenty of devices I know full well are poor value for money but they either suit what I do or I flat out want them.

Johnmcl7

I am not the author but I think the review grade was in the context of a concept device

My personal view is it is a solution in search of a problem in 2020, come back in five years and let's see if the tech has matured. I'd be stunned if I saw this in the wild and it was a real purchase, not a review sample :)

No offence to Samsung, my trusty Note 4 is still going strong
I really dislike the phrase 'solution looking for a problem' because no matter how many times it's incorrectly used, it still goes strong and perhaps rather ironically it was used extensively for the original Galaxy Note which you are using a device directly based on as is pretty much every phone on the market now as it kicked off the drive to larger screen sizes.

There's no search for a problem, the difficulty is finding the solution - we like large screens but we don't want large phones and while the Galaxy Z Flip may not solve that perfectly, I think it's a promising start. Personally I'm excited about the Fold as the size of the Note 9 is fine with me so being able to get a tablet screen in a similar form factor will be useful especially against a market where features have been dwindling over the last few years (3.5mm. Again the Fold is not quite there yet but I don't think it's far off nor difficult to see both the problems it solves and the improvements it brings.

Steven

Senior Moderator
@Johnmcl7 fair play and valid points. In the past I owned the iPad mini 2 and still have the iPad air 2. Cannot quite picture walking with something opened out like that, but then I invite anyone willing to send it my way :)

Johnmcl7

@Johnmcl7 fair play and valid points. In the past I owned the iPad mini 2 and still have the iPad air 2. Cannot quite picture walking with something opened out like that, but then I invite anyone willing to send it my way :)
For me it wouldn't be a replacement for a 10in tablet but just to have more screen space when out and about where I don't regularly carry the tablet with me and losing nothing over my current phone bar a bit of thickness. I could definitely appreciate when stopping to have a seat and read through websites being able to open to the much larger screen then when heading off just fold it over and chuck it in my pocket. It's not implemented that well but I do quite like the idea LG have had with the V60 to have a case with a second screen on it which isn't as neat as the folding screen but doesn't come with the huge cost or fragile screens either.

Going back to the Galaxy Z Flip I can definitely see the small folded design easily going in the bottom of a small pocket where a long thin phone wouldn't although not being a fashionista and having large functional pockets it's not an advantage for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299