Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Announced (2019)

I'm personally thinking it's not north worrying about, I charge all my stuff to 100%. Main thing I turn off is fast charge to reduce heat (which I had forgotten to do!).

I don't think it's worth reducing your enjoyment of the device by limiting yourself to a narrow window of use.
Came across this app today while looking for something to show tablet info.
Might be useful if you're concerned about temperatures. Might also give you something else to check your WiFi speed with.
DevCheck is an Android app that tells you everything about your device

How is everyone getting on? Tablet has been brilliant, I keep getting a slight niggle in my heading should have gone for the 6gb model, but that's because I'm a numbers freak :(. But app refreshes don't occur often at all.

To me it performs the equal of my girlfriends S4 tbh, but with slimmer bezels.

I do wish Samsung would let us turn off the rounded corners of the screen in the UI because i don't like screen wastage, but it's a small annoyance.

How is everyone getting on? Tablet has been brilliant, I keep getting a slight niggle in my heading should have gone for the 6gb model, but that's because I'm a numbers freak :(. But app refreshes don't occur often at all.

To me it performs the equal of my girlfriends S4 tbh, but with slimmer bezels.

I do wish Samsung would let us turn off the rounded corners of the screen in the UI because i don't like screen wastage, but it's a small annoyance.
It's faster than my TAB S 10.5 but screen wise they seem pretty similar as expected both having AMOLED screens. Speakers are nice and a big improvement over the TAB S 10.5 but I'll probably still use headphones most of the time.

My 16GB TAB S suffered greatly from lack of space (I had to delete apps all the time to update some apps) while my 128GB TAB S5e is overkill space wise (35% used so far and a lot of that is content which will go to the SD card when I get it). But better too much vs too little. The 6GB Ram has never shown even 50% usage so 4GB would have probably sufficed.

It's faster than my TAB S 10.5 but screen wise they seem pretty similar as expected both having AMOLED screens. Speakers are nice and a big improvement over the TAB S 10.5 but I'll probably still use headphones most of the time.

My 16GB TAB S suffered greatly from lack of space (I had to delete apps all the time to update some apps) while my 128GB TAB S5e is overkill space wise (35% used so far and a lot of that is content which will go to the SD card when I get it). But better too much vs too little. The 6GB Ram has never shown even 50% usage so 4GB would have probably sufficed.

Sounds like you're getting on well with it, which is good to hear!

Tbh I don't use the storage much so it would be £60 for 2gb of ram which I think is a bit overkill.

I did notice Argos have the S4 for £459 so it would put me in close territory to that. Although still 4gb of ram, slightly faster processor.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying mine, the new 4G one I got seems not to suffer from WiFI issues and seems speedy enough.

I would say that I'm using this really for media, browsing and reading more than anything else - its also spending a good amount of time plugged into a 24" Dell monitor via the USB-C port and an HDMI port on a USB-C hub - its a great device for using in DEX mode and handy when I've got the Xbox on one screen and just want the footie or a browser page up on the other screen.

I have had a few issues though although I suspect Android related rather than S5e specific, firstly dreadful audio lag in YouTube (and YouTube Vanced) - a good 2-3 seconds later than the video.... tried a few things but seems to reoccur and is an Android issue.

Today I'm also noticed stuttering when streaming Spotify via Bluetooth, its always been a bit of an issue with Android and Chrome OS Devices that sometimes Wifi, and multiple bluetooth devices interfere with each other but this feels more like the CPU is taking its time - strange one as I can see from the system monitor that I'm in no way stressing the tablet!

Enjoying it but its not a productivity machine for me, with the keyboard cover it would be fine for Citrix and Remote Desktop at a push but really a larger screen is needed to be truly a work device.

My Infiland Cases finally arrived - both in Grey, quite like the folding stand one but might send the other one back as I don't think I need 2! (and the Keyboard Cover)

I'm enjoying mine, the new 4G one I got seems not to suffer from WiFI issues and seems speedy enough.

I would say that I'm using this really for media, browsing and reading more than anything else - its also spending a good amount of time plugged into a 24" Dell monitor via the USB-C port and an HDMI port on a USB-C hub - its a great device for using in DEX mode and handy when I've got the Xbox on one screen and just want the footie or a browser page up on the other screen.

I have had a few issues though although I suspect Android related rather than S5e specific, firstly dreadful audio lag in YouTube (and YouTube Vanced) - a good 2-3 seconds later than the video.... tried a few things but seems to reoccur and is an Android issue.

Today I'm also noticed stuttering when streaming Spotify via Bluetooth, its always been a bit of an issue with Android and Chrome OS Devices that sometimes Wifi, and multiple bluetooth devices interfere with each other but this feels more like the CPU is taking its time - strange one as I can see from the system monitor that I'm in no way stressing the tablet!

Enjoying it but its not a productivity machine for me, with the keyboard cover it would be fine for Citrix and Remote Desktop at a push but really a larger screen is needed to be truly a work device.

My Infiland Cases finally arrived - both in Grey, quite like the folding stand one but might send the other one back as I don't think I need 2! (and the Keyboard Cover)

Good to hear you're getting a lot of use out of yours!

The stuttering is a weird issue. I've had odd freezes when I clear notifications from the pull down menu, it just freezes and I leave it a couple of seconds and then it's fine.

What is YouTube Vance's? I've heard of an app which allows you to watch videos on YouTube in HDR but never found it.

Still having thoughts of returning mine for the 6gb model but I think I'm just being greedy...:eek:

Good to hear you're getting a lot of use out of yours!

The stuttering is a weird issue. I've had odd freezes when I clear notifications from the pull down menu, it just freezes and I leave it a couple of seconds and then it's fine.

What is YouTube Vance's? I've heard of an app which allows you to watch videos on YouTube in HDR but never found it.

Still having thoughts of returning mine for the 6gb model but I think I'm just being greedy...:eek:

Yeah its certainly being used well, as a "personal" device its just tiny for sticking in my bag.
I put it in a case (Infiland or the Keyboard Case) and then into a 10" Cushcase Sleeve that I bought for a Pixel C a few years back - and its hardly noticeable in my bag.

The stuttering is a little annoying - I don't really want to have to rely on wired earphones (mainly as I don't own any and just spent £160 on new Bluetooth ones!) - tablet is basically in "standby" just playing Spotify with the screen off - its playing off the local device (not streaming) but getting the stutter every so often - maybe the CPU just isn't up to much!! but it seems odd that an iOS device never has a problem like this.

YouTube Vanced is what your looking for I think although I have to admit I've not seen HDR mentioned but I'm not sure how we) see that something "is" HDR on Youtube (YouTube Vanced APK [NONROOT/ROOT/MAGISK] - Official Website

Yeah its certainly being used well, as a "personal" device its just tiny for sticking in my bag.
I put it in a case (Infiland or the Keyboard Case) and then into a 10" Cushcase Sleeve that I bought for a Pixel C a few years back - and its hardly noticeable in my bag.

The stuttering is a little annoying - I don't really want to have to rely on wired earphones (mainly as I don't own any and just spent £160 on new Bluetooth ones!) - tablet is basically in "standby" just playing Spotify with the screen off - its playing off the local device (not streaming) but getting the stutter every so often - maybe the CPU just isn't up to much!! but it seems odd that an iOS device never has a problem like this.

YouTube Vanced is what your looking for I think although I have to admit I've not seen HDR mentioned but I'm not sure how we) see that something "is" HDR on Youtube (YouTube Vanced APK [NONROOT/ROOT/MAGISK] - Official Website

That is strange, I haven't had any lip sync issues on mine so far but I don't use Dex mode.

What sort of WiFi speeds are you getting out of interest? I still get drops to 7mb on mine at times but still plays videos etc fine

Slightly tempted to try another but then you get into the swap game and it's a dangerous one!

@doug56hl it's back again :rotfl:

Screenshot_20190515-142957_Software update.jpg

@doug56hl it's back again :rotfl:
Eek!!
Simple cure, stop looking for updates :)
Next security patch will probably not be until June (tablet is on a three monthly update cycle
Samsung Mobile Security) and by then we will likely be back to no updates available or update available.

I'd like to know why this is happening though. Obviously some Samsung server problem but the random nature of this coming and going is odd.

Eek!!
Simple cure, stop looking for updates :)
Next security patch will probably not be until June (tablet is on a three monthly update cycle
Samsung Mobile Security) and by then we will likely be back to no updates available or update available.

I'd like to know why this is happening though. Obviously some Samsung server problem but the random nature of this coming and going is odd.

Haha! It's a strange bug, but doesn't bother me too much :)

I've been messaging Samsung about the 7mb speed reading and they've told me to try another one...

Tempted and I know Argos will be fine with it...

Wondering how it will affect my pre order bonus sd card if i return my S5e tomorrow and ask to switch to the 6gb model?

I've emailed them but i know i won't get a quick response...

I mean i'm only going to sell the SD card anyway...

EDIT: Had an email confirming my SD card is on the way so think it should be fine.

Last edited:
Emailed Samsung claims and they said I won't be eligible for the SD card if I get a replacement S5e....

I don't really care though, I'll probably return it over the weekend and go for a straight swap, can't be faffed messing around for 2gb of ram when this one is running fine in that regard :)

Emailed Samsung claims and they said I won't be eligible for the SD card if I get a replacement S5e....

I don't really care though, I'll probably return it over the weekend and go for a straight swap, can't be faffed messing around for 2gb of ram when this one is running fine in that regard :)
Disappointing.
I wouldn't have asked Samsung re that myself as that answer is somewhat par for the course and a 'computer say no' the likely result of asking.

As I've said the extra 2GB of RAM isn't of much benefit. I went for the 128GB model purely to get extra internal storage. Not all the apps let you download video files to SD. Amazon and Netflix do but not sure re Google Play. Unless they've changed, the only choice used to be internal storage. And video files quickly eat up storage...

Disappointing.
I wouldn't have asked Samsung re that myself as that answer is somewhat par for the course and a 'computer say no' the likely result of asking.

As I've said the extra 2GB of RAM isn't of much benefit. I went for the 128GB model purely to get extra internal storage. Not all the apps let you download video files to SD. Amazon and Netflix do but not sure re Google Play. Unless they've changed, the only choice used to be internal storage. And video files quickly eat up storage...

Yes it is, but it's on the way anyway and I'm pretty sure they can't stop it so I'm not going to get upset about it (I hope!):)

Oh yes, video files eat the storage! Luckily all I do is stream content so it's not an issue for me, although I've noticed 3 times today while watching a YouTube video, it's said 'online' in green at the bottom where it's presumably disconnected and reconnected.

I was just thinking while I was returning that it could be an option but it's a bit of faff I don't need. It's been managing the ram really well, I think it's down to the tablet learning my usage patterns and what apps I use most because it's been refreshing less than when I first got it!

If I can get the WiFi issue sorted (if it is an issue and not a software bug) then I will be content for a good while with this tablet!

Well, had my second attempt at an S5e, I actually managed to swap to the 128gb silver model so completely different.

Slight red flag when I plugged it in to charge, it had 0% battery, usually these things have at least 40%.

Anyway, charged it to 100%, unplugged it, pressed and held power, nothing. It wouldn't turn on. Plugged it in again and it lit up saying 100%, pressed power and on it came on.

So I set it all up thinking perhaps it was a first time use bug. However this morning it had lost 40% charge overnight. I turned it off, waited and attempted to turn it on and same thing, it won't come on until it's plugged in.

So very deflated as when it works it's great!

Still getting the same WiFi issue obviously as it's hardware, it was running even better with the 6gb of ram though.

So in debate over 1 last swap or just refund :(

Well, had my second attempt at an S5e, I actually managed to swap to the 128gb silver model so completely different.

Slight red flag when I plugged it in to charge, it had 0% battery, usually these things have at least 40%.

Anyway, charged it to 100%, unplugged it, pressed and held power, nothing. It wouldn't turn on. Plugged it in again and it lit up saying 100%, pressed power and on it came on.

So I set it all up thinking perhaps it was a first time use bug. However this morning it had lost 40% charge overnight. I turned it off, waited and attempted to turn it on and same thing, it won't come on until it's plugged in.

So very deflated as when it works it's great!

Still getting the same WiFi issue obviously as it's hardware, it was running even better with the 6gb of ram though.

So in debate over 1 last swap or just refund :(

My second S5e is going back to Samsung today (4G/128GB model) - I want to love it but struggling severely with the Bluetooth stuttering which seems to affect any media streaming with both pairs of Bluetooth ears I have (Jabra Elite in Ear and Sennheiser Momentum Headphones) - they work fine with my iPhone and Surface Pro.

Really nice device but I just think I’m going to have a look at eBay and pickup a second hand iPad Pro, I don’t need the newest one and the price of the 2017 model ones is peanuts compared to the new models, only thing I’m really missing out on is USB-C.

I also know that the iPad won’t do HDMI-out for a second screen in the same way that the Tab S5e will do but I think I’m prepared to live with it for a device that has usable Bluetooth.....

The DEX mode, external screen support and mouse support are great on this thing but it just feels like they’ve cut a few corners perhaps to meet the lower selling price.

My second S5e is going back to Samsung today (4G/128GB model) - I want to love it but struggling severely with the Bluetooth stuttering which seems to affect any media streaming with both pairs of Bluetooth ears I have (Jabra Elite in Ear and Sennheiser Momentum Headphones) - they work fine with my iPhone and Surface Pro.

Really nice device but I just think I’m going to have a look at eBay and pickup a second hand iPad Pro, I don’t need the newest one and the price of the 2017 model ones is peanuts compared to the new models, only thing I’m really missing out on is USB-C.

I also know that the iPad won’t do HDMI-out for a second screen in the same way that the Tab S5e will do but I think I’m prepared to live with it for a device that has usable Bluetooth.....

The DEX mode, external screen support and mouse support are great on this thing but it just feels like they’ve cut a few corners perhaps to meet the lower selling price.

I picked up the S4 yesterday, couldn't be doing with swapping again. They have a £50 cashback deal too at the moment. Obviously WiFi is much better, it's snappier too. And it got the One UI update yesterday.

If it wasn't for the WiFi issue and my second being duff I would have kept it, it really is a good device.

Shame you had stuttering issues :(

I picked up the S4 yesterday, couldn't be doing with swapping again. They have a £50 cashback deal too at the moment. Obviously WiFi is much better, it's snappier too. And it got the One UI update yesterday.

If it wasn't for the WiFi issue and my second being duff I would have kept it, it really is a good device.

Any chance you have an Infiland S5e case for sale?

Well I'm trying for the final time, picked up the 4G/128GB in my local store and got the £50 cashback into the bargain, they agreed that if I have issues I can return and I'll swap for an S4 at that point.

I'd probably have just grabbed the S4 if they had any in stock, but none, also the keyboard case isn't free like it was a couple of weeks ago so not quite as good value for me.

Well I'm trying for the final time, picked up the 4G/128GB in my local store and got the £50 cashback into the bargain, they agreed that if I have issues I can return and I'll swap for an S4 at that point.

I'd probably have just grabbed the S4 if they had any in stock, but none, also the keyboard case isn't free like it was a couple of weeks ago so not quite as good value for me.

Fingers crossed then, at least you can swap if you need to.

Argos were really good with me. Okay I ended up spending £509 when I started at £379...but hey ho, it's only money :eek:

Haha, I do still have my case yes

Just cover the cost of postage and you can have it if you like? It's hardly been used :rotfl:

That's awesome! I was half joking to be honest as I'm just about to order my S5e and that case was also on my shopping list at Amazon. I've been reading this thread with interest due to the wifi problems etc so your experiences have been very useful.
Thanks for your kind offer. If you could drop me a PM with the details and I'll send you the payment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom