Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Announced (2019)

I'm not sure about deal breaker but it is dissapointing, especially when its not a one off but what appears a design issue - I am considering returning the unit and paying the extra £50 or so for a 4G model - that might not have the same issue as they tend to put a thinner section on the body to allow the LTE antenna to work....

Oh really? Is that true, I've never heard that before. Interesting if it's the case.

Oh really? Is that true, I've never heard that before. Interesting if it's the case.

It certainly is the case on the iPad's that there's often a plastic bit where the antenna is to help with signal.

Popped into the local Samsung store at lunchtime, still no cases available or an ETA, but they've got stock of the 4G 128GB model I'm keen on.... also though they have the 64GB 4G Tab S4 with a Free Keyboard Case for about £80 more than the top end s5e..... quite tempting, the S-Pen seems to work really nicely, the Keyboard is £120 on its own and aside from a slight size difference (thinner s5e) the only thing putting me off is "only" 4GB RAM in the S4 v the 6GB RAM of the S5e 128GB - more internal storage isn't really a dealbreaker, I've got a 400GB micro SD card!

It certainly is the case on the iPad's that there's often a plastic bit where the antenna is to help with signal.

Popped into the local Samsung store at lunchtime, still no cases available or an ETA, but they've got stock of the 4G 128GB model I'm keen on.... also though they have the 64GB 4G Tab S4 with a Free Keyboard Case for about £80 more than the top end s5e..... quite tempting, the S-Pen seems to work really nicely, the Keyboard is £120 on its own and aside from a slight size difference (thinner s5e) the only thing putting me off is "only" 4GB RAM in the S4 v the 6GB RAM of the S5e 128GB - more internal storage isn't really a dealbreaker, I've got a 400GB micro SD card!

Personally, I'd get the tab S4. I've been using this tablet solidly and 4GB is working absolutely fine. Also it's got a faster processor so any apps that do close, will be faster to load.

Main thing you lose is fingerprint scanner.

I'm thinking this is going back as much as I like it, I keep checking the WiFi and it drops to 7mb...where my girlfriend's S4 is connected at 800mb...just no comparison

Personally, I'd get the tab S4. I've been using this tablet solidly and 4GB is working absolutely fine. Also it's got a faster processor so any apps that do close, will be faster to load.

Main thing you lose is fingerprint scanner.

I'm thinking this is going back as much as I like it, I keep checking the WiFi and it drops to 7mb...where my girlfriend's S4 is connected at 800mb...just no comparison

Yeah I'm very tempted, not just that but the S-Pen capability seemed very nice too - not too bothered about the fingerprint scanner as I've found that to be a pain anyway!

Yeah the Wifi speed does seem a bit of a downer - for playing Netflix or Browsing it doesn't really matter but for downloading anything its rubbish, I picked up s USB-C Hub that offers up Ethernet, SD/Micro SD Reader, HDMI and power in along with USB-ports so have been using Ethernet in the house but its not always practical to have the tablet "wired"

Yeah I'm very tempted, not just that but the S-Pen capability seemed very nice too - not too bothered about the fingerprint scanner as I've found that to be a pain anyway!

Yeah the Wifi speed does seem a bit of a downer - for playing Netflix or Browsing it doesn't really matter but for downloading anything its rubbish, I picked up s USB-C Hub that offers up Ethernet, SD/Micro SD Reader, HDMI and power in along with USB-ports so have been using Ethernet in the house but its not always practical to have the tablet "wired"

I don't blame you, it's so unreliable and WiFi is rather important for a media device :(

I think I'll wait for an S4 offer or the S5 with (hopefully) a glass back!

I don't blame you, it's so unreliable and WiFi is rather important for a media device :(

I think I'll wait for an S4 offer or the S5 with (hopefully) a glass back!

I do think they're probably clearing the decks of S4 Keyboard Cases in readiness for the S5 but not sure I want to wait until Sept/Oct as I really need (want) a more portable devices for my own personal stuff and media (v my Work Surface Pro 6).

I did consider just buying a Surface Go but the lack of mobile apps and poor battery are a downer. I did like the iPad Air 3 that I setup for my boss a couple of weeks ago but to get a 256GB 4G model + Pencil and Probably Keyboard takes it up to well over £800 v £less than £600 for the S4 with the S-Pen, Keyboard and slot for my 400GB Micro SD Card!

I do think they're probably clearing the decks of S4 Keyboard Cases in readiness for the S5 but not sure I want to wait until Sept/Oct as I really need (want) a more portable devices for my own personal stuff and media (v my Work Surface Pro 6).

I did consider just buying a Surface Go but the lack of mobile apps and poor battery are a downer. I did like the iPad Air 3 that I setup for my boss a couple of weeks ago but to get a 256GB 4G model + Pencil and Probably Keyboard takes it up to well over £800 v £less than £600 for the S4 with the S-Pen, Keyboard and slot for my 400GB Micro SD Card!

They probably are, some good deals incoming.

For me, I just don't like 4:3 screens that Apple use. Going back to my Samsung Tab a 2016, the screen looks so lifeless :(

Got a screenshot of the speed I keep getting...

20190502_135859.jpg

They probably are, some good deals incoming.

For me, I just don't like 4:3 screens that Apple use. Going back to my Samsung Tab a 2016, the screen looks so lifeless :(

Got a screenshot of the speed I keep getting...

View attachment 1146120

Thats rubbish! - Yeah I agree on the 4:3 screen thing though! Its one thing I like about my Surface - its a happy medium!

That's as maybe but when Argos are offering their £10 voucher for spending £100, to me it's not a gesture at all. I'm sorry you don't have yours yet :(
But they retrospectively gave you the £10 off voucher for spending £100. Was that offer in play when you bought the tablet? I'm guessing not. So they put you in the same position as if you bought it now and you still get the £125 ish free card. Or not, as you seem to be considering returning it.

Google shows the WiFi on the S5e to be fundamentally flawed.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Riddled With Crippling WiFi Connection Issues
although that appears in part to be how you hold it
the Galaxy Tab S5e has a rather frustrating design flaw that can lead to Wi-Fi access being shut off altogether when the lower-left corner of the device is covered with your hand

The only workaround is to hold the device the other way around while using it in a horizontal orientation, with the front-facing camera directed to the right rather than the left. That’ll position the Wi-Fi receiver at the top of the slate to the right, where it won’t be blocked by your hand.

To be clear, the issue doesn’t come into play while the device is being used in a vertical orientation, with the front-facing camera at the top. And that’s, once again, because the Wi-Fi receiver is located too high up to be obstructed by your hand, which will be wrapped around a corner at the bottom.
Galaxy Tab S5e has a rather frustrating design flaw

Last edited:
But they retrospectively gave you the £10 off voucher for spending £100. Was that offer in play when you bought the tablet? I'm guessing not. So they put you in the same position as if you bought it now and you still get the £125 ish free card. Or not, as you seem to be considering returning it.

Google shows the WiFi on the S5e to be fundamentally flawed.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Riddled With Crippling WiFi Connection Issues
although that appears in part to be how you hold it
the Galaxy Tab S5e has a rather frustrating design flaw that can lead to Wi-Fi access being shut off altogether when the lower-left corner of the device is covered with your hand

The only workaround is to hold the device the other way around while using it in a horizontal orientation, with the front-facing camera directed to the right rather than the left. That’ll position the Wi-Fi receiver at the top of the slate to the right, where it won’t be blocked by your hand.

To be clear, the issue doesn’t come into play while the device is being used in a vertical orientation, with the front-facing camera at the top. And that’s, once again, because the Wi-Fi receiver is located too high up to be obstructed by your hand, which will be wrapped around a corner at the bottom.
Galaxy Tab S5e has a rather frustrating design flaw

Already sent off for SD card before I started noticing the WiFi issue, if I don't get it then so be it.

My issue is, with how long I've waited, they took my money straight away, if they had taken it on dispatch then I would have been eligible for the £10 voucher anyway so it's a oathetip gesture imo.

I'm having issues in any orientation, even not touching it, I am getting WiFi drops. Gutted as otherwise it is brilliant, the equal of my girlfriend's S4, but she's getting consistent download speeds. So unfortunately it will have to go back :(

Just seen a video on YouTube of someone testing the S5e WiFi speeds and theirs doesn't fluctuate, the 64gb WiFi model...they're suggesting it's a quality control issue and there are good ones. If that is true I would be prepared to swap and try another but I wouldn't want to have to set up 4 or 5 to find a good one...

Just seen a video on YouTube of someone testing the S5e WiFi speeds and theirs doesn't fluctuate, the 64gb WiFi model...they're suggesting it's a quality control issue and there are good ones. If that is true I would be prepared to swap and try another but I wouldn't want to have to set up 4 or 5 to find a good one...

Thats good to know, I need to make my mind up, Vodafone offered me an iPad Air 256GB with 20GB data a month for about £850 over the 2 years - thats basically paying £4 a month for data when I consider the cost of the tablet... offered the same on the Tab S4 but I'm not really convinced its worth paying the same amount for.

Thats good to know, I need to make my mind up, Vodafone offered me an iPad Air 256GB with 20GB data a month for about £850 over the 2 years - thats basically paying £4 a month for data when I consider the cost of the tablet... offered the same on the Tab S4 but I'm not really convinced its worth paying the same amount for.

Personally I'd go for the S4 because my main usage is media and in my opinion, no iPad matches the S5e or S4 display wise.

I think I may try another S5e Saturday and see how I get on because price wise it's a brilliant device.

Personally I'd go for the S4 because my main usage is media and in my opinion, no iPad matches the S5e or S4 display wise.

I think I may try another S5e Saturday and see how I get on because price wise it's a brilliant device.

The more I think about it the more I think I want one of the Samsungs - screen is incredible, expandable storage and frankly I found DEX mode to be brilliant when I'm in the house - I can have my work or Xbox on my big screen and my S4/5 plugged into my monitor for web browsing, etc.

I think I can probably live without the S-Pen although if I could haggle a few quid off the offer just now (£549 for the 4G one with the Smart Keyboard Cover) then I might go for that - the s5e LTE is £490 and then if I were to want a keyboard cover that actually takes it over the S4 at £610 all in.....

The more I think about it the more I think I want one of the Samsungs - screen is incredible, expandable storage and frankly I found DEX mode to be brilliant when I'm in the house - I can have my work or Xbox on my big screen and my S4/5 plugged into my monitor for web browsing, etc.

I think I can probably live without the S-Pen although if I could haggle a few quid off the offer just now (£549 for the 4G one with the Smart Keyboard Cover) then I might go for that - the s5e LTE is £490 and then if I were to want a keyboard cover that actually takes it over the S4 at £610 all in.....

Man maths coming in :D

I'm sure you will be happy though with the S4 or the S5e if the WiFi issues are resolved on it!

I've been using mine and it's running sweet as a nut. Actually got 108mb download speed today which is my limit!

It did once or twice read 7mb connection to my router but it didn't seem to affect anything...

More and more I'm thinking try another, I wonder if it's a software bug and the readings are off...

Wish Samsung would say something so I can decide what to do...

It must be a bug because my tablet says I am getting 7mb, speed test says 60mb...one of them is wrong surely?

How's everyone getting on with their S5e?

Been really enjoying mine, internet speeds seem fine to me now which is strange. Still get the odd 7mb reading but it doesn't slow down at all.

Was looking under device care, and as well as turning fast charge off under battery, as I don't like my batteries getting hot. It also has an option to only charge to 85% but it will show as 100% after a reboot. Anyone else seen this? Not sure whether I want to lose 15% of my battery capacity for a bit of longevity...

Last edited:
How's everyone getting on with their S5e?

Been really enjoienj mine, internet speeds seem fine to me now which is strange. Still get the odd 7mb readjre but it doesn't slow down at all.

Was looking under device care, and as well as turning fast charge off under battery, as I don't like my batteries getting hot. It also has an option to only charge to 85% but it will show as 100% after a reboot. AntoAn else seen this? Not sure whether I want to lose 15% of my battery capacity for a bit of longevity...

I went into Samsung on Friday to get a 128GB 4G model but no stock but due back in early next week, was just going to go for the Tab S4 4G with the free case but no stock of that either!!!

I went into Samsung on Friday to get a 128GB 4G model but no stock but due back in early next week, was just going to go for the Tab S4 4G with the free case but no stock of that either!!!

That's frustrating then! So you've decided not to keep your S5e? Has it been behaving itself while you've been using it?

That's frustrating then! So you've decided not to keep your S5e? Has it been behaving itself while you've been using it?

I was having the WiFi issues that seem to be occurring so decided I wanted to swap it out for a new unit, but made the call to get a 4G model while I'm at it... will probably just take what comes in stock first - S4 or S5e 128GB -

I was having the WiFi issues that seem to be occurring so decided I wanted to swap it out for a new unit, but made the call to get a 4G model while I'm at it... will probably just take what comes in stock first - S4 or S5e 128GB -

That's understandable, has it been affecting your performance much?

I was all set to reurre but it's a great little tablet for my needs. If anything bad happens I will be returning it though.

I have Google WiFi and two hubs so I can reposition my WiFi to an extent. The weakest WiFi is in my bedroom but the WiFi hub is in another room so I could easily move it closer.

I still would like to hear from Samsung but I guess admiting anything could be an issue for them...

Does anyone elses device say this when they check for a software update?
Yes, although yesterday it just said it's up to date.
All I've done since then is connect to PC and loaded some video files.

That message seems to indicate Knox has been tripped from looking at Google.
But checking Knox status using Knox Status App shows it hasn't been.
So I'm guessing a glitch at Samsung.

Last edited:
Yes, although yesterday it just said it's up to date.
All I've done since then is connect to PC and loaded some video files.

Oh good, you've finally gotten yours then. How you finding it?

It changed when I checked earlier, just seemed strange.

Oh good, you've finally gotten yours then. How you finding it?

It changed when I checked earlier, just seemed strange.
What had you done between it being OK and then showing this message?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom