Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) Review

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by The News Bot, Dec 9, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +445
      Reviewed by Greg Hook, 9th December 2012. In the case of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) it's key selling point is its excellent price point, which with current cashback offers means you can pick one up for as little as £188.00. This represents superb value for such a well performing tablet and thus warrants a Recommended badge.
      Read the full review...

2. maclean21

maclean21
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      This is NOT a gaming machine. Although my kids do nothing but on it.
      More than anything My wife and I use it for quick reference on the web, tvcathup, children pacifier and zinio.
      I am completely sold on reading on this device. I love reading websuer on this. the pictures and text look more alive than on anything else i've tried.
      Better than a kindle and very nearly the same price.

£50 cashback at the moment as well.

awsome.:)

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +11,083
      Yeah, as I said in the review it struggled on graphically intense games. It's fine for the games that kids like or big kids such as Angry Birds etc.

4. DMD9

DMD9
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Good review, I don't understand why Samsung went with the Tegra2 for this tablet though, I have the 7" version which uses their own Exynos 4210 and has no issues with gaming. Have to admit, the prices you guys can get it at make it a great option though, works out at little over £10 more than my Tab 2 7.0 cost me, taking the cashback into account.

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,083
      Thanks.

It doesn't have the Tegra 2 in this tablet. It was the Tab 1 that has that.

Quote from my review:

6. DMD9

DMD9
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Ooops, that's what I get for trying to do 6 things at once on the laptop, lol. TI is what my reply should have said, I don't see any way to edit it now, either, thanks for pointing out my error :facepalm:

7. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +156
      I have bought one of these for the wife for Christmas :smashin:

I had a £100 cashback from my Sammy TV so bought this and it works out at £138, which is a steal for such a device.

Will give a womans perspective of it when she has had a play with after crimbo :laugh: might make an interesting read since all she knows is my Macbook.

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,083
      :D

I can only presume it was to reduce costs why they went for a Texas chip over the Nvidia one.

9. careless_adi

careless_adi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Uckfield, East Sussex, UK, Earth, Milky Way
      Ratings:
      +262
      I'm not trying to undermine the otherwise excellent review of the device, but there are a couple of errors I've seen in the review that I feel should be edited.

First of all the other 2% of tablet users could be Blackberry Playbook users (which doesn't run an Android or iOS operating system), and secondly, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 does not have 16GB of RAM. It has 16GB of internal hard drive capacity, and 1GB of RAM.

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,083
      Thanks. I always leave a mistake in just to make sure you are reading it. :D It clearly should have said internal storage, so thanks for pointing that out. I've corrected it.

Regarding the other 2% tablet users, I'm aware of the Blackberry Playbook etc, it was more of a jokey comment saying if you aren't Android or iOS then what are you!

11. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      Just for information, Jelly Bean has rolled out the past week:thumbsup: so if you have this tab you should get an auto notification soon if you have not already had one.

I had my update yesterday and some had theirs last week.

The JB update has only been for the 10.1 model AFAIK because I hear a lot of moans from those with the 7” version.

12. DMD9

DMD9
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Probably, hard to tell with Samsung sometimes, think they used a Tegra2 in the Tab 8.9, and they switched from a Wolfson DAC to Yamaha for the S2, leaving the audio no match for the original S with Voodoo Sound, then back again with the S3. Think I read somewhere recently that TI were going to stop working on mobile SoC's though.

13. DMD9

DMD9
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      The official JB update was leaked for the 7" a couple of weeks back, I tried it, it was terrible. Laggy, choppy, and the software buttons had moved to the centre and were reversed, they also added a not quite black notification bar to the top of the screen which not only looked fugly, but also ate up unnecessary real estate. Pretty much forced you to use portrait mode most of the time. Two days later I flashed back to 4.0.4, will wait for 4.1.2, hopefully it will be better.

14. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,083
      I've still got the review sample (going back tomorrow) and can confirm it has now updated itself to JellyBean.

15. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      I have one of these, not bad little tablet, some of the android apps aren't supported on these and some of the builtin apps are pretty useless but nevertheless it's handy when you don't want to boot up a PC or laptop. Use mine mainly for quick surfing and checking of email (the built-in mail app is a wee bit flaky at times).

There is talk that the new android upgrade will allow multiple user accounts on one android device, a feature missing and a most welcome one. Currently families sharing an android device, have access to all emails and so forth, so looking forward to that if it is supported on this device.

16. AlanfromNorfolk

AlanfromNorfolk
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 on 12th December last year that promised a £50 Cashback. Despite providing the correct purchase and personal info 3 times, I am still waiting for the cashback 75 days later! So, Galaxy Tab 9 out of 10 but Samsung Customer service 0 out of ten. I'm beginning to think that the cashback offer was a scam! I would certainly avoid any future Samsung product that came with a cashback offer.

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,166
      I have noticed there is a software update for my Tab 2 at 620MB. Anyone know what it is ? I still have 4.1.1 installed since Christmas 2012.

18. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      The current version for the Tab 2 is Android 4.2.2 so the update you got there is a complete system update.

After you do the update most of your desktop icon will be removed though not the apps themselves. Nothing too worrying but a pain if like my OH wanting everything as it was so I had to spend an hour putting all the sort cuts back on the desktop.:laugh:

19. hyperfish

hyperfish
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,351
      A series of screenshots will help with that. ;)

20. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,166
      Thanks, I don't really want the hassle of putting all my icons back. Does it really make it worth it over 4.1.1 ?

Will it reinstall the Google apps like books movies etc and the Samsung apps ? I removed all those that I could.

21. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      All the Google stuff should be OK as these are saved in your Google account in the Cloud and one of the update processes is to optimise the apps after the main update. Hyperfish idea above is a good idea for putting things back the way they were.

Always best to have any updates they give but it’s entirely up to you. I can’t remember what exactly changed now (I have too many Android devices:D)but I think it’s things like “user accounts” for more than one user on the same tablet and bug fixes, also I’ve noticed that the BBC iPlayer has the “download now, watch later” on the newer version of Android but I’m not a 100% sure but this is not available on the older version but like I said I maybe wrong but it’s definitely available now on the Tab 2, Android 4.2.2.

Have a look here to see if you think you would gain anything from updating.

Android version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

22. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,166
      The change in the iplayer is in the app not the android version. Only me uses the tablet so only one account.

I am getting a bluetooth speaker for Xmas so maybe the bluetooth audio streaming update might be worth it.

23. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      I know the ability to download and watch later is in the BBC app but I thought that may be the app required a later version of Android and this is why I was hesitant to say whether it works on older versions of Android having got the download, watch later app after the current Tab 2 update.

24. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,166
      I decided to update it. It went ok and then decided to change my icons around. Feels a bit strange after a year of getting used to 4.1.1. First two things I noticed that was different was the task manager and the time/settings moved from the bottom to the top.

The screenshot button has disapeared to need to work out how to put it back.

25. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      Merry Christmas everybody.:clap:

The Samsung screenshot button for me was annoying as it was so easy to set off so I never missed this being removed.

To do screenshots now on most 4.0 and above devices you have to press the power and volume down button at the same time.

I did read somewhere that it’s possible to put the short cut way back on the Tab 2 but I can’t remember what you do or where I read that, probably on a Samsung support page somewhere.

26. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,166
      Happy Christmas.

I am not liking these new update at all. I would like it back how it was. I don't like the time and notifications at the top. I prefer it bigger at the bottom.

I want that screenshot button. Every time I try to do a screenshot, I get the volume bar on the screen.

27. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      As I was saying I don't use screenshots very often but today found myself needing one so doing a bit of searching I found the power + vol down does work on the Tab2 but the missing secret is, you have to press and hold for two seconds.

It worked for me.