Samsung Galaxy S7 Or Sony Xperia Z5?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by PocketOperator, Apr 7, 2016.

1. PocketOperator

PocketOperator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Hi everyone, I am due a phone upgrade as my contract is about to end on my current Sony Xperia Z2 so I am wondering what phone to get next?

I have narrowed it down to either another but more recent model of the Xperia or a Samsung Galaxy S7 or possibly S7 Edge. I have really enjoyed my Xperia Z2 and it was the first smartphone I got (had it for the past 2 years) so as an introduction into the smartphone world, I was really pleased with it.

I've had no problems with it and the camera (something I use a lot) has been very good. I love the fact that it's waterproof (even though when used in the rain the phone thinks the raindrops are you trying to touch the screen and all sorts of random things pop up) and it has served me very well.

So I am tempted to just go for the latest model of the Xperia's which is now the Z5 seeing as the Z2 has been so good and I know what to expect. However I am also tempted to get the current top of all the Best Smartphone lists, the Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge.

Even though the Z5 has a 23 megapixel camera, the S7's 12-megapixel cam is supposed to be better and seeing as I use the camera a lot on my phone, this is quite important to me. The S7 also has a better processor and battery etc so on paper, the S7 should win hands down.

I am planning on giving my current Z2 to a friend and so getting a Z5 would at least mean I could help them out with any problems they have seeing as I would have the same make of phone and transferring all my contacts, MP3's and photos etc off the Z2 to a Z5 would also be a lot easier (although I assume it wouldn't be a headache moving all the stuff to another brand of phone?).

So should I stick with the tried and tested and much trusted Sony Xperia or should I try something new and much lauded in the S7?

Thanks for any help reaching a decision.

N.B. I have discounted getting an iPhone as I have an iPad so I wouldn't use the apps as much and from the experience of that, I know iOS updates can be a real pain. Plus a lot of my friends have them and complain about their fragility (although my friends don't particularly look after their phones well) and iPhone's just don't seem as good value when compared with Android's to me.

2. stunno

stunno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    I had a Z2 for 6 months until it was stolen and always found it to feel a bit too big.
    I now have a S7 edge which is actually bigger than the Z2 but feels smaller! Probably because of the curved edges.

Android on the Z2 was lightly skinned and was very nice to use. Touchwiz is now actually quite a pleasant experience in the S7 and doesn't look as "Early Learning Centre" as it used to on the S3

3. PocketOperator

PocketOperator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I know what you mean about the Z2 feeling too big, it's always falling out of my pocket. There is always the Z5 Compact which is smaller but I think I would miss the extra space for typing and using apps, especially when editing photos.

4. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Hi AfxTwn

I had the same toss up between S7 and Z5 Premium this week but as my biggest desire of recent times is to experience the best Virtual Cinema I possibly can, I decided quite resounding to go for the S7 and just ordered it a few hours ago!

If virtual Reality (or more specifically virtual cinema) might be something you will want to explore down the line, the Z5 Premium's 4k res, super high pixel density and 5.5 inch screen estate will be a huge advantage. However, S7 is that touch quicker with its processing. So might be more fluid with motion in VR but not a factor for virtual cinema.

When I receive my phone tomorrow, I am going to fully test out its VR capabilities and if it interest you will report my findings. At present, many apps only work at a 1080p but some are said to be making updates for their apps. Marshmallow has just also unlocked the 360deg and youtube 4k videos too which until last month were also locked to 1080p on lollipop.

I made sure to contact the major virtual cinema app developer, CMoar, and ask if they will render virtual cinema to take advantage of the 4k display and they responded that they are working on it and will should be done by the next update. This excites me big time.

All the major reviewers say that 4k display is unnecessary but they all seem to fail in factoring the Virtual Reality headsets!

So as I say if Virtual Reality excites you or more specifically, watching movies on a virtual cinema, interests you, Z5 Premium might be worth a consideration and I will be testing it out over the weekend.

5. platty2890

platty2890

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Wait till Tuesday see what HTC has to offer with the new m10 see what it throws in the mix..
    Let down by the S7 suppose to be flagship phone but has no usb-c, no adoptive storage for the sd card, mhl support, MQA or aptx HD for music all features that I need and expect from a £570 "flagship"!

6. PocketOperator

PocketOperator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I've decided to go with an S7 Edge. I spoke to Virgin today and ordered one (I am contract with them, I know they're not the cheapest but I have my TV, broadband and phone with them so it makes sense to have mobile too). I basically had to choose a phone that Virgin had available and so I narrowed it down to the S7 and Z5.

It's funny you should mention VR TheyCallMeTJ as I've just been reading up on the Samsung Gear VR headset which I will probably get seeing as it's so cheap and will give me a good idea of what to expect from headsets like the Vive and Rift (when they're prices eventually drop and the 2nd/3rd generation tech improves a lot more).

I'm not bothered about watching movies or video on my phone as I do all that on my Sammy TV as that has great You Tube integration (I can also stream Twitch and other video from my iPad to a Chromecast dongle on my TV too).

I was very tempted to go with the Z5 but decided to just go with the S7 as that has received generally very positive reviews everywhere and I thought I would give something new a try. I do have a cancellation period should I not like the phone and can always change my mind and swap it for something else.

On a slightly different note, I am planning on giving my Z2 to a friend who has an old Samsung qwerty phone, I think something like the Chat 335 or similar. Anyway is there a way they can transfer all their contacts and photos from their old phone to the Z2 that is fairly painless?

7. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    And a a great choice it is too. I only mentioned VR as a factor to consider just in case but S7 is the better in phone in all other ways and it is the later piece of tech. Gear VR is the best mobile VR headset out there too. Enjoy them!

8. OneSon

OneSon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How are you finding the S7? I am also deciding between the S7 and Z5?

9. PocketOperator

PocketOperator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    @OneSon Sorry I have only just seen your post. I am finding the S7 Edge really good to use. I don't know how it compares to a Z5 but based on how it compares to my old Z2, then it is faster and battery life is a lot more.

TBH though, there aren't that many significant differences between the two that would make me definitely recommend the Samsung over the Z2 and in terms of you choosing between the S7 and Z5, then I think it comes down to cost. The S7 will be significantly more expensive than a Z5 but if you're on contract then I would imagine the costs aren't too great (in my case the cost of a Z5 was £10 cheaper than an S7 per month).

Personally I could afford the extra tenner a month and I thought I would try something different. Both phones have similar features (the camera on the Z5 has more pixels but they both take excellent pictures) and while the battery is smaller on the Z5, I think battery life on both phones will be very good. They both use the same Android OS too, however Samsung have stuck their own skin on it to make it look different and some people don't like it but it doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't advise getting an S7 Edge though unless you really want that slightly curved screen (doesn't make that much difference) and instead maybe get an S7 if it is a Samsung you want. I find the S7 Edge a little difficult to hold on the sides without touching the screen (having said that, a good case will cure this problem) and because of its curved edge, tempered glass screen protectors are hard to find, or at least any that fit perfectly.

Oh another slight niggle I have with the phone and how it differs from my Z2 and possibly the Z5 is in the location of the back, home and recent apps buttons. They are right at the bottom of the screen and in particular the back and recent apps buttons (which are either side of the main home button) and I often press them by accident when holding the phone at the bottom to take a portrait photo or video.

Because I was used to my Z2 which had these buttons located further up and away from the bottom edge of the screen/phone where I could comfortably hold the phone with two hands to steady it and without pressing anything, this is an issue with the S7. Again, it's not a big issue and just means you have to get used to holding your phone differently in a more grip-like fashion on the side edges of the phone.

The S7 is also a massive fingerprint magnet (another reason for trying to get a good screen protector) so this might be an annoyance.

I haven't tried VR with it yet but I am planning to get a Samsung Gear VR headset at some point and see how that is.

Overall though I am very pleased with it and I'm sure it will serve me well for the next 2 years but it's not a massive step-up from my Z2 (sure it's rounder and slightly pretty-er but the extra power and battery aren't hugely noticeable for me) and I think when compared with a Z5, the difference is probably only down to looks as the technical differences are negligible.

Hope that helps.