Samsung Galaxy S3 Advice (New to Android) Bloatware?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by mkelbie, Aug 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I am looking for a bit of help and some suggestions on improving the experience of using Android. I got a new S3 unlocked from CFW last week and I am using it with the Pay&GO sim for now until I decide if I like it and will replace it with my iPhone 5.

1st questions is I'm sure LTE is a no but my iPhone 5 works on 3's Ultrafast network which gets me really good speeds and if I keep the S3 I will be using my 3 sim so will it work on Ultrafast or will it just be standard 3G?

Secondly, I know they're are ways to root my phone and install custom roms with extra features and I haven't looked into what roms I should try but I do feel like my phone is full of crap? Its like buying a Laptop from PC world and it comes with loads of stuff you don't need. If I want a cleaner install will that mean I need to root it and install a custom rom or is there a way to make my phone feel less bloated. I think a lot of the stuff is samsung which I may need but if someone could just give some input on that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Anyone okease help :)

Just point give me a clue and I will reasearch it because if I sell my iPhone I will be using this S3 for a while

3. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,485
  4. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks, does it mean I have to root my device then? Will have a look at some guides on there. I think ny device is actually rooted already just don't want to start flashing random roms and brick it.

Cheers for the tip

5. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,485
    Your S3 straight from CPW will not be rooted out of the box.

Root Checker is the way to confirm this.

If it's just the extra apps that bother you, the app icons can be hidden from view in the app drawer.

But if is the Samsung TouchWiz overlay that you don't like, then a custom ROM may be appropriate.

BTW, I do not have the S3 myself.

6. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I had a go on my mac and think it worked but I haven't done anything since rooting it.

Completely new really to Android and want to like it so will look at roms then.

Don't suppose you know about different versions of thr S3 and whether mine will work on 3's ultra fast 2HSDPA+ or whatever it is?

Thanks for your help!!

7. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,485
    I don't know the answer to that, but someone at XDA will.

8. Jay Z

Jay Z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I don't know much about rooting but maybe try and flash the current official firmware for the S3 from XDA and maybe that will get rid of the network bloatware?

Jay

9. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    The S3 will work on 3's ultrafast network - And there's an LTE version on EE, but not sure if that will work with 3's 4G

You don't need to root to remove most bloat, you can go into application settings and disable most of the added Samsung customisations, but if you want a very clean installation you may consider custom ROMS..... HOWEVER, Samsung did not release the source code of some 3rd party drivers so it's not a rosy stroll as some may make out. In my opinion, the stock ROM or variants based on it are the best.

I recommend Nova as a very clean alternative home launcher that masks a lot of TouchWiz if it's not your cup of tea.

The most useful root application is Titanium backup, and if you rooted with a custom recovery (such as CF-Root or CMW) it makes it easy to install cusom ROMS.

best of luck.

Rizza

10. mkelbie

mkelbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I will only use this device until christmas time so will look at a LTE phone then, ultrafast is nice but I am sure I will manage with normal 3G speeds.

I will do a restore of the phone and see what I can disable, I just found it annoying that out of the box it was full of apps.

I have titanium backup installed now but haven't used it, think I am just going to play around with it as stock for now and see how I get on.

Thanks for the help.

11. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    The Samsung stuff cannot be uninstalled without rooting. Just go in to the settings and uncheck anything you don't want running. Then, you can go in to the app drawer and hide any apps you don't want to see (I do this with the Samsung bloatware and preinstalled Google Play stuff). The programmes are still of course installed and taking up space but are not running in the background or seen. There is an option to show hidden apps if required.

I use Nova Launcher, it's quick and runs without hiccup on my GS3. I have a couple of home screens with widgets for Flipboard, Currents and Google+, and organise the app drawer for news, multimedia, etc. Results in a nice and tidy, clutter free set-up and without rooting.

12. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    It's a good approach to use the stock device first and gradually change or modify what you don't like. Android has enabled Apps to be disabled without rooting since JellyBean, and you can also hide icons you don't need from the application drawer.

The amount of useless apps and features is a joke... but there's built-in functionality to turn most off without rooting.

Rizza