Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra Smartphone Review & Discussion

So another year another model out with not really anything new but as usual a camera bump in spec with even more
lenses to the rear added.
Just like Apple Iphone Models.

I think the phase of some upgrading every year has passed by for some as we Keep our older phones for much much longer as basically they do everything the newer models do
& have been doing for years……..

So another year another model out with not really anything new but as usual a camera bump in spec with even more

I think the phase of some upgrading every year has passed by for some as we Keep our older phones for much much longer as basically they do everything the newer models do
Yeah it’s ridiculous as an Apple or Android user.

Tho while it’s clever, 200mp on a teeny tiny sensor?!

Yeah it’s ridiculous as an Apple or Android user.

Tho while it’s clever, 200mp on a teeny tiny sensor?!

i remember 1.5 mega pixels or less on New Digital sony cameras way back …..

The next push if its done correct be roll type phones or folding if the crease is invisible.
But folding or flexing is a issue that will eventually break as such unless.
But nothing new since the Very first iphone tech.
Folding tech has not really taking off yet.

Bugger me it seems only yesterday the S22 was out , oh wait it was . Anyway I will stick with my S22 ultra for at least another 24 months as I'm now on a cheap as chips sim only deal.This is really not much of an upgrade over that , tad faster with a more mega pixel camera that i will never take advantage of .

Just because a phone company releases a new phone every year, doesn't mean everyone has to buy one every year. People seem to forget that a lot of people wanting an S23 will be coming from much older phones, which will be a big upgrade for them.

Or switching from a completely different phone because they want a change.

Good review and nice phone. It's just difficult to get excited about any smartphone at the moment.

Midrange phones and flagships from 2 years ago give you 96% of the performance at 50-60% of the price. The maths doesn't quite add up anymore, except for the really discerning customer or phone geek.

I'm enjoying my Pixel 6 and can see myself sticking with the Pixel line which is squarely midrange but offers better performance in some aspects than flagships eg camera. The budget end is not too shabby either.

I'm invested in Apple TV and movies, but I'm not a fan of iOS (despite using it for work). Otherwise it would be really nice to have an integrated ecosystem - nobody does it like Apple. I guess that's why they continue to command premium prices whilst everyone else struggles.

Currently still on a Galaxy S7 and thinking about upgrading this year. Havent followed Smartphone technology that much the past years but i am guessing it would be an worthy upgrade, especially when it comes to battery life, storage size and such.

Actually, what interests me more than the hardware build in these phones, are the software (OS) and the apps (store).
It used to be that Apple had the better quality control when it comes to the apps and the better overall eco system, has that changed over the years? I just dont wanna go through the hassle of potential viruses, advertisement or dealing with unreliable apps on the Google apps (play) store.

I hope you doing something different for the review. Could you add display measurement or calibration for S23 Ultra? There are Nature and Vivid Color mode on this phone, only Vivid mode can adjust white balance, Color Temperature, etc. Which color mode should I use for creator intent or purist viewing?

My wife upgraded an S9+ to a S23 Ultra and she loves it. I was tempted by the offers to upgrade my S22 Ultra to one, but there's not enough improvement to warrant the outlay. I'll probably check out the S24 when it appears. It'll be all too soon anyway...

I still use a Galaxy S3 and i can replace the battery. I am baffled by these £1000+ mobile phones and when people say oh its free with a contract hahah you are paying for it nothing is free, I stick with a PAYG.

I upgraded from from a Note 10+5G to the S23 Ultra and i am really impressed with this phone ..Battery is great 2 days for me, speakers are great, display is awesome ...only thing is its a bit chunky but the near flat surface makes it easier to hold .
This is a big jump for me will be keeping this for 2 to 3 yrs tops

I traded my s22 ultra in for this. My first weekend with it was a disaster,I take videos and pics of some gigs that I go to. When I transferred them onto my pc the videos wouldn't play. Also my pics were way over processed looking. I spent 3 days with the tech guys at Samsung to to eliminate the problems. In the end I just took back my s22 ultra and haven't had any problems. Maybe I just got a Monday phone, I'm in no hurry to try again anytime soon. Was bitterly disappointed after reading all the hype.

I traded my s22 ultra in for this. My first weekend with it was a disaster,I take videos and pics of some gigs that I go to. When I transferred them onto my pc the videos wouldn't play. Also my pics were way over processed looking. I spent 3 days with the tech guys at Samsung to to eliminate the problems. In the end I just took back my s22 ultra and haven't had any problems. Maybe I just got a Monday phone, I'm in no hurry to try again anytime soon. Was bitterly disappointed after reading all the hype.
Sorry to hear about the problems. I've done the same upgrade as you and am very happy with the image quality, and obviously the S22U takes some beating. My images are sharp yet smooth and very pleasing to look at in general. There's a couple that are a little bit overexposed though. In my experience, cameras take a couple of updates to really start to perform.

The S23U is a great device. It is really just a refined S22U, but by swapping to Snapdragon globally, the performance and battery life is finally where it should be for a "no compromise" phone.

Great to see your happy, as I said maybe I just got a Monday phone. I might try again in a couple of months if the trade in offer is the same.

Just upgraded to this phone from my galaxy note 3 which I have had for 9 years. Very pleased with it so far.

I planned on keeping my S22 Ultra for at least another 6 months or so, but got a decent deal on the S23 Ultra which I couldn't resist.

Firstly, there is no real difference I speed. They're both very, very fast phones, as are most mod/high end phones these days.

The major different for me is undoubtedly the battery life. It is so much better the S22 Ultra, not that the S22U was particularly bad.

Another thing that is a lot better is the speakers. The S22U had really poor speakers but it wasn't a deal breaker. The S23U is way better.

I still would have been quite happy to keep the S22U if it wasn't for a decent deal.

Last edited:
I don't think the S23U is noticeably faster, but it seems a little bit smoother. The S22U was particularly bad for the first few months after launch, with broken animations and little stutters, and it was all exclusive to the Exynos version. The S23U fixes that!

And as you say the speakers and battery life are both a lot better. When I use Google Assistant with the volume turned up the realism of the voice creeps me out a bit, compared to the S22U where it was obviously coming through phone speakers.

I don't think the S23U is noticeably faster, but it seems a little bit smoother.
Yes I totally agree. I forgot to mention that part! It's definitely smoother. It's hard to explain it but I would guess if you're used to the S22U then you would definitely notice.

I doubt the camera is going to be noticeably better but that doesn't bother me. The camera on the S22U is superb.

Both of these phones will get 4 years Android updates and 5 years security updates and they'll both obviously last a very long time.

I think I'm confident in saying that this is the best phone I've ever had now, narrowly replacing the Huawei P30 Pro.

I always skip a model. Always notice a decent improvement. So I'm ready to get a s/h S23 Ultra at sometime.

I still use a Galaxy S3 and i can replace the battery. I am baffled by these £1000+ mobile phones and when people say oh its free with a contract hahah you are paying for it nothing is free, I stick with a PAYG.
I was using a galaxy S4 until it died few months ago. I faced no hardware issues until it stopped working, other than changing battery couple of times. However, app support and security update for Android 5.1 stopped few years ago.

I bought a S23 few weeks ago. Other than the size (yes, 6.1 inch phone is little difficult coming from a 5.1 inch device) and the price, it has been a fantastic experience. Few notable changes are wireless Android auto, more interactive and faster os, 256GB storage, water and dust proof, and fantastic fit and finish.

100% agree.

This phone hasn't changed since the note 10+. Which I'm still using.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G4 OLED Best Picture Settings Out Of The Box - Filmmaker Mode!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom