Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Review & Comments

oooh... shiny....

I loved my Galaxy Note 3 and the flexibility of the S Pen. My S20+ is a year away from replacement but this doth sorely tempt me....

Must, be.... strong....

I replaced my S20+ for this while it still had good trade in value.

Skunk, how you finding the camera? Is it living up to they hype and specifically how is it with macro shots? Battery life as good as they say? I was on the Samsung site last night and the 1TB/Black is out of stock but thats what I'll be having (new tax year = new tech). I prefer user opinions over a reviewer who gets paid.

I have this phone, upgraded from Huawei Mate 20 Pro (loved that phone)
Not falling love with this.
It constantly freezes for me on the unlock screen multiple times a day.

The camera I like, but there is a lag from when taking a picture until it processes and displays

Is Nightography different from Night mode or just the same thing?

Skunk, how you finding the camera? Is it living up to they hype and specifically how is it with macro shots? Battery life as good as they say? I was on the Samsung site last night and the 1TB/Black is out of stock but thats what I'll be having (new tax year = new tech). I prefer user opinions over a reviewer who gets paid.
But also gets to use multiple phones and gets paid whether he likes or dislikes the phone?

YouTube “reviewers” is where the lines of truth are a lot more untrustworthy.

It constantly freezes for me on the unlock screen multiple times a day.
Yes that is a known issue. I was hoping the last update a few weeks back wound fix it, but the issue has come back for me too. Another update was pushed yesterday and it's a big one. So far I've not seen the issue - fingers crossed it's resolved for good. Head into settings and grab it, and see how you get on.

There have been a few early bugs with the phone, but to be fair to Samsung they are on with it.

Otherwise I'm happy. Battery is indeed a bit underwhelming but it easily lasts the day, or to put it another way it lasts at least as well as my S10+ but has adaptive refresh, 5G and better performance.

Good review, summary points are spot on

I upgraded recently to the Oppo Find X5 Pro. Looked at the S22 but thought I'd try something different (did come with a great pre-order bundle!).

The performance of the s22u is pretty poor for me. It lags and stutters a lot even with the new "April update". Very disappointed with it to be honest.

“For the best in an Android phone, though, the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is hard to beat.”

I agree with that statement for two reasons the phone itself and its ecosystem. I’ve had it for a few days now and so far, so good. I know that colour and design are like beauty, the eye of the beholder has the last word. I like the design and the colours. Sky blue and burgundy on top, black and white last.

The amalgamation of the S and Note series is very pleasing. I know that many will disagree, but the S Pen is really nice. It would have been a pity to lose that feature. I admit that it is not something that I use on mundane tasks, like scrolling, searching for contacts, making phone calls, etc, but it is useful. It is not irreplaceable for certain tasks like writing, the speech recognition is nothing short of excellent.

The front and back cameras are good, but the colours are not quite true to life on some occasions. I have a green blanket that looks blue indistinctively of light conditions. I have had some dogs’ pictures out of focus and grainy, but in general pictures are good. Of course, I will need to test more. I’ve not tried the video yet.

I like the camera design, but I am not convinced that it looks better than S21 ultra’s. I am very ambivalent about it. I think the bump provides better protection and less dust collection. The S22 ultra looks cleaner.

I am not fan of curved screens, but the curve is not offensive. It looks very good to my eyes. I think that battery is OK. There many ways of saving battery but it means disabling most of the features that make this phone to stand out and one could argue that going for a cheaper alternative might be a better idea. Again, this is another one where personal taste is king.

The Exynos 2200 is fast. However, we are the only market getting it. Exynos has consistently underperform against the Snapdragon. Samsung should get rid of this bone of contention. We are paying more and get less.

The development of the GPU with AMD has not really paid off yet. Ray tracing and all the fancy features are useless unless game and apps developers take advantage of them. Gamers are not able to select high graphics settings on the Exynos SoC. This could improve in the future and most likely it will, but Samsung could have partnered up with at least one of the game developers to show the GPU’s capability.

I think it is safe to say that the SD card and phone jack are features that will never come back. Of course, there are other brands that still provide both features and there is always a chance that one of them will bring them back, creating new fancy words for the best features ever invented. A very fast alternative for the SD card is an external USB C disk or pen drive like the Samsung T7 SSD. Yes, it is not a replacement because it is not practical to have such storage connected all the time, but it is incredibly fast reading and writing to and from one of this external storage without the need for a third device.

Comparing with the iPhone is contentious because I do not think that many long-term users of one ecosystem will be willing to swap and we tend to have very strong emotional ideas about it. I think that it is undeniable that the iPhone has better chipset. The design is just personal taste. All flagship phones’ cameras always have a feature that cannot be outdone by another flagship, but most of them, if not all of them produce really good pictures.

At this moment, the iPhone 13 Pro Max has better price on the 128GB (£1049 v £1149) and 256GB (£1149 v £1249) versions. The S22 Ultra has better price on the 512GB (£1349 v £1329) and 1TB (£1549 v £1499) versions, although the 1TB is out of stock on all colours and there is no clear indication if it will ever come back. All storage versions of the iPhone have 6GB RAM versus 8GB for the S22 Ultra 128GB and 12GB for the three other storage versions. So simply buy whichever you think is best or like the best.

It is a good phone but there have been many issues with it even though some users have not faced any. Samsung’s community forums on the S22 ultra have quite a few complains. Samsung could have polished the software a bit better before release. In addition, the pre-orders, delivery, and customer support from Samsung.com have been atrocious. They delayed my pre-orders three times and Customer Support would lie to you on the phone. They assured me that my phones were on course to be delivered on two days just to receive a message that the orders were delayed the next day.

I have had no issues with the phone so far and the camera is very impressive.

My phone arrived when it said it would and so did the earbuds.

I got the 512GB option in graphite with the official book style case and was able to get significant discount through trade in which made the price far more reasonable.

The battery will last the day but can be extended further via various options if it is an issue.

This phone has guaranteed software support for 5years so I expect any bugs you may encounter will be ironed out much as they were on the S20+.

Overall I am perfectly happy and it represents a significant improvement over my previous phone (S20+).

I got the 512GB option in graphite with the official book style case and was able to get significant discount through trade in which made the price far more reasonable.

The battery will last the day but can be extended further via various options if it is an issue.

This phone has guaranteed software support for 5years so I expect any bugs you may encounter will be ironed out much as they were on the S20+.

Overall I am perfectly happy and it represents a significant improvement over my previous phone (S20+).
Yes, there are lucky ones who have been trouble free.

What's going on with this phone then? Why are some trouble free and some like mine laggy and stuttering ? I have the Zfold3 beside it and that runs like a dream compared to the s22u.

What's going on with this phone then? Why are some trouble free and some like mine laggy and stuttering? I have the Zfold3 beside it and that runs like a dream compared to the s22u.

What's going on with this phone then? Why are some trouble free and some like mine laggy and stuttering? I have the Zfold3 beside it and that runs like a dream compared to the s22u.
I do not know what is going on with this phone. That is a question for Samsung. As I said on my long post. There have been many issues with it, but it seems that some people have not been having any problems with it, @SuperSkunk is one of them. I guess that quality control is not what it should be.

Having had Samsung phones since the Galaxy S2 and for the last 11yrs I wouldn't get a new one.

I had the A70 and then "upgraded" to the S20 FE, what a mistake that was, the battery life is awful, the screen is 90hz but eats the battery and gets very juddery anyway and the touch response is pretty bad as well and the cameras are average at best, worse than the Honor 8X I picked up to try out.

I read and watched several reviews onnthe S20 FE but obviously they aren't reliable at all.

I wouldn't buy a Samsung again, they seem very very dishonest.

What is it with Samsung and curved bloody screens!

Is it just me, or are phones just not very exciting anymore? I can't remember the last time I genuinely thought 'wow' about a new feature.

Is it just me, or are phones just not very exciting anymore? I can't remember the last time I genuinely thought 'wow' about a new feature.
The problem is that every week there is new phone.

i got the S21 Ultra on launch day, im thinking il wait for the 23 before i upgrade.

The April update seems to have resolved the issues I have been experiencing (fingers crossed)

No need to reboot multiple times a day. The phone unlocks correctly without freezing
There was also a video sync issue in which audio was out of sync when watching clips either on Facebook, Instagram or YouTube

This problem also seems to have been resolved.

Almost the exact same for me, except I got the 256GB in (online exclusive) Graphite Grey.

Traded my Note 10+ 5G in (for £430), plus had a friend referral so saved in total a decent £512 off RRP, paying £737. Then the free Galaxy Bud Pro pre-order bonus, and also free Disney+ (which saved me £80 as was due end of March), made it even cheaper.

I've not had any crashes or issues with it at all, had it over 2 weeks now.

The camera is great, 100x zoom is ridiculous (9/10 times the quality is poor at that zoom though) but other than that there's nothing that's wowed me over my Note 10. Feels pretty much identical other than the buttons are on other side and stylus has also switched sides.

Still, very happy with it, and should last a few years before I need to change again.

Yep. Just like a desktop or laptop. You may need one but don’t go Wow when you see the Windows 11 logo on your i7.

The latest video from AVForums

Lyngdorf MXA 8400 - Premium Power Amp Review Teaser #homecinema #poweramplifier #hometheater
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom